Magnesium?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey all,

I heard that Magnesium supplement tablets can help with myoclonic jerks... so I picked up some High Potency(500mg) tablets from CVS the other day. They are Magnesium Oxide, which I've read is 'poorly absorbed', but I'm taking 2 tablets, (1000mg) a day. They make me drowsy and a little 'jittery', but I haven't had jerks on em yet. Only taken for a few days now but was wondering if anyone else followed this regiment and what a 'solid and safe' amount of magnesium is, dosage wise, to help with myoclonic jerks?

I was taking mag. malate until I ran out. note to self...
I was taking 2-6 tablets a day with a meal which rounds to around 2000mg
I think it's just urinated out if you have too much in your system, which I hear isn't likely unless you have unhealthy kidneys etc

Magnesium is very safe even in fairly high amounts. That said, if the 1000mg/day is working for you, there's no need to go any higher. If you find yourself experiencing diarrhea, that's a sign to adjust your dose downward. Also, it's a good idea to make sure you're getting enough calcium in your diet -- the two elements work together.

Magnesium citrate is also pretty easily available, is better absorbed than the oxide form.

Back
Top Bottom