Magnesium -- which form?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Blondie47

New
Reaction score
Hi--

Got the go ahead from our neurologist to start magnesium. We can add 500mg and increase as she can tolerate.

There are so many forms which is best?:ponder:

I think RobinN has had the most success with ionic magnesium (the liquid form).

I'll be honest...I get my vitamins at a local discount grocery store...so my magnesium is the tablet form..250 mg. per tablet..and it only costs me $1.50 a bottle.

Yes many are tablet or capsule form. I have also take the ionic variety, and believe it is the best form to take, though not easily found. Some brands can have a nasty taste. It can also be cooked into foods. It is a mineral and does not dissolve.

Oral magnesium supplements combine magnesium with another substance such as a salt. Examples of magnesium supplements include magnesium oxide, magnesium sulfate, and magnesium carbonate. Elemental magnesium refers to the amount of magnesium in each compound. Figure 1 compares the amount of elemental magnesium in different types of magnesium supplements [28]. The amount of elemental magnesium in a compound and its bioavailability influence the effectiveness of the magnesium supplement. Bioavailability refers to the amount of magnesium in food, medications, and supplements that is absorbed in the intestines and ultimately available for biological activity in your cells and tissues. Enteric coating (the outer layer of a tablet or capsule that allows it to pass through the stomach and be dissolved in the small intestine) of a magnesium compound can decrease bioavailability [29]. In a study that compared four forms of magnesium preparations, results suggested lower bioavailability of magnesium oxide, with significantly higher and equal absorption and bioavailability of magnesium chloride and magnesium lactate [30]. This supports the belief that both the magnesium content of a dietary supplement and its bioavailability contribute to its ability to restore deficient levels of magnesium.

I suggest reading this site. Just make sure you understand that the form that is readily avialable isn't the one that is absorbed the best.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp

The brand I am using now - Jigsaw Magnesium - recommended by Dr. Blaylock (neurosurgeon) also has Vitamin B-6, Folic Acid, and Malic Acid. It is also a sustained release tablet, and it has been effective for me for over a year. I do not have any connection with this company, and have tried many brands. It does have to be bought online, however the company does run sale offers quite often.

They also have a facebook page: Jigsaw on Facebook

Hi, Blondie,

Be sure to research any vitamin you take these days. Cosmetics, too. Lots of vitamins now contain nanoparticles, which have been linked to genetic mutation and cancer. The reason that nano-particles damage our cells is that they are governed by different laws of physics (quantum mechanics) than regular sized particles (classical physics). As a result they behave differently in the body than regular sized particles - not always for the better, and sometimes can cause irreversable damage to our cells and genetic material.

Nano particles also can cross the membranes of cells & molecules where regular-sized particles cannot (and should not - there's a good reason in nature they can't). In early research nanos have been shown to cause genetic mutation and cancer with some substances. More research is needed to expand this to other substances. There is a shocking lack of research so far into safety. What there is so far is showing nanos are very harmful to humans and the environment.

Many company websites list whether they use nanos. On any cosmetic or vitamin website, use their search function to look for "nano." If nothing pops up you can also email their customer service department. You'll be astounded how many do not answer your email. That's because they usually don't know the answer. The company doesn't have enough control over their suppliers to be able to assure us that nanos aren't in the product. Scarey. The only company I've gotten a quick and straight email answer from so far is Twinlabs. (Their products do not contain nanoparticles.) No answer yet from Pilgram's Pride. (I USED to get vitamins from them, but for this reason, not any more.)

If you want to learn more are in the mood for some heavy reading, go here: The potential risks of nanoparticles. The study was done in Europe, where IMHO they are light years ahead of the U.S. on natural supplement uses, research, and safety.

Happy reading.

Endless

P.S. I used to just love that new clear suntan lotion. I no longer use that, either. It's made from nanos. The research shows it doesn't absorb through the skin, but can be inhaled where it damages the lungs and is aborbed into the rest of the body. Darn.

Thanks so much for the information.

Nothing is what it seems I guess. :ponder:

We r still taking things day by day. My dd is asleep on the couch -- yes and missing school --because of the Klonopin. She needs it to stop the seizures, but barely functions after she takes it. I keep saying the Trileptal has stopped working but that does not go over.

The deal for the week is to increase trileptal -- see if it works to control. If not, the neuro wants to add Topamax to her schedule. This drug's side effects are unacceptable to my husband and I -- and made that known to the neuro-- but he still wants to try it.

It is a very frustrating and difficult time right now.

I am in the middle of reading A Symphony in the Brain and eagerly look forward to our neurofeedback appointment in May.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit!

Blondie I hope she's able to get control quickly with neurofeedback. Those drugs have such terrible side-effects, and IMO, not one drug is better than another drug. My neurofeedback practicioner hasn't called me back. I'll allow one call to go unreturned, before I go to the second practicioner on my list.

We went to the neurologist Monday for a routine appt. and he suggested introducing tenex for my son's attention issues. Since being on the depakote, he can't tolerate the typical stimulant medication or strattera. I told him I didn't want to put anything else in his body before I researched it. I sent him an e-mail later that night saying NO WAY. I'm hopeful the neurofeedback will improve his attention issues too.

Hi, Blonde,

You are increasing her Trileptal this week? I"m ramping up on the stuff myself. Just when the side effects seem to get better, it's time to up the dose again. But the good news is I think it has made my seizures less frequent. A week isn't a big enough sample of time to say for sure. I've gone a week or two before without a seizure when not on meds. (I usually have 2-3 a day). So I"m keeping my fingers crossed.

Is your daughter experiencing side effects? I've had a rash (dermatologist says it's not stevens-johnson, thank goodness), exhausted, weepy, blurry vision, fuzzy/foggy brain, etc. I'm hoping your daughter is having an easier time of it.

About Trileptal

Endless
TG the rash is not SJ.
Trileptal was the first AED our 2nd neurologist put my DD on after long term monitoring in April 09. We've had a good run with it, but unfortunately my DD's epilepsy is resisting it now.

It really was great with the occipital lobe seizures, and frontal lobe too.

She is currently on 1500mg. It does make her tired but not wiped out.

She did get the blurred/double vision and exhaustion at 1800mg. We reduced it at that point.

Keep charting your observations in your journal. It will be such a blessing to have the history when you need to analyze Trileptal's effectiveness on your epilepsy.

Take care:e:

Thanks so much for the information.
My dd is asleep on the couch -- yes and missing school --because of the Klonopin. I keep saying the Trileptal has stopped working but that does not go over.

The deal for the week is to increase trileptal -- see if it works to control. If not, the neuro wants to add Topamax to her schedule. This drug's side effects are unacceptable to my husband and I -- and made that known to the neuro-- but he still wants to try it.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit!

It is necessary to vent.

Am I reading this correctly? Your neurologist is willing to prescribe three meds for your sweet daughter to take? He has been treating her for how long?
IMO that is completely ABSURD!!!
Monotherapy is what is recommended and all meds individually should be tried first(if that is the direction you want to take). Adding a second med should only be tried if monotherapy does not work, but that should not be suggested IN MY OPINION unless the seizures are life threatening. Multiple meds cause toxicity... which can also cause seizures.

*** I apologize if I have over stepped my bounds. I just read your profile and realize you are dealing with a lot of additional health issues.
I just believe that chemicals are so strong, that the body seizures easily from toxicity. My daughter's seizures increased dramatically when on meds.

Last edited:
RobinN

Thanks -- your opinion is appreciated! I really admire the work that you have done in healing your DD. I hope that we can achieve that someday.

Right now we need to stop the daily seizures so that our DD can function. Go to school, see friends, live life!

I am researching like crazy to educate myself on all possible methods of greater seizure control. I have added BComplex, Vit E, Magnesium to her daily schedule. In May we begin neurofeedback. We are also considering a low glycemic diet.

I just spoke with our neurologist, hours ago and went over our current situation and future plans. He is open to the complimentary therapies and explained the rational behind adding Topamax and temporarily keeping the Klonopin.
He will not allow our DD to suffer with daily seizures or untolerable side effects. My husband and I so get his point -- which is Topamax is one of the strongest drugs to control partial seizures and we need to give it a try.

So we will be brave... and keep pushing ever forward every day!
This has been just as hard as chemo in so many ways. But please know that she is considered <CURED> and in a state of PERMANENT remission from leukemia. We ended chemo in 2000.

Take Care:e:

Try magnesium citrate from Biocare , thats got good bio availability in them, costs about £12.00 for 90 caps , you can find them in most good health food stores

The subject of which variety of magnesium to take is one that has confused me when I read the description of each type.
I just found this article by Dr Blaylock, neurosurgeon:

As for magnesium, it comes in a variety of configurations. Each differs in terms of cost and how well it is absorbed. Magnesium oxide is the most common form on the market and it is about 60% absorbed by most people.

However, some absorb only 20%. Magnesium oxide is very cheap. If you develop diarrhea, you’ll know that the supplement is being poorly absorbed. The best-absorbed varieties include the malate, malate/citrate, citrate and gluconate forms. But the latter supplies too little magnesium; the one containing malate prevents aluminum absorption. I recommend either the malate or malate/citrate form.

Magnesium malate/citrate gives you 150 mg. of magnesium per capsule. Take two in the morning and two in the evening — and make sure it’s consumed with food. This powerful supplement also helps to induce sleep. Avoid the aspartate form since aspartate is an excitotoxin that inhibits melatonin release from the pineal gland.

Does anyone know anything about chelated magnesium? *sigh* I get so confused when I visit the health food store -- and I'm the one without memory problems.

What chelate form means:
"Magnesium Chelate (Amino Acid): A chemically reacted magnesium ion, bound to 1 or more amino acids, thus allowing the magnesium to enter through the intestinal wall via the amino acid pathway rather than active magnesium diffusion. A true reacted chelate differs from simply mixing the amino acids and minerals which is often referred to as "chelated"."

http://www.enzymestuff.com/magnesium.htm

You should read this too:
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/chelated-magnesium.html

I gave the chelated form to Rebecca prior to trying Jigsaw Magnesium. I have found the latter to be very useful without negative side effects. I just need to remember to take my night time dose. Though I remain migraine free on just the morning dose, which is exciting for me.

Blondie, I have the same problem as you :) How old is your dd? My daughter is 2 years old. We are using magnesium citrate.. What did you chose and how it went?
I'm still having doubts about if I'm giving her the right form...
Some suggest magnesium oxide, some suggest gluconate, and now I see the liquid form is better.

MagCalm is supposed to be a good product. It is a powder you disolve with hot water to make a tea. You can get it unflavored or naturally flavored with stevia and raspberry or lemon.

Back
Top Bottom