Medical Alert Bracelets

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've been waiting too long, and now my workplace (and doctor) is requesting for me to get a medical alert bracelet.

I was wondering. Other than my name, and condition, do I put anything else on there? Since the doctors constantly change my meds, I'd be worried to get one and the following week they change it which would require me to order a new one.

Any suggestions?

I wear a MedicAlert Bracelet and listed on the bracelet itself is just the medical condition(s) and that I have the VNS. It also comes with an I.D. card and listed on the card are the meds and Doc's names and #'s. On the bracelet is also a 800# for emergency.
If/when you neuro changes the meds, you just call the # on the MedicAlert card and they will make the changes in their system. Then they send you an updated card, with current meds listed.

I have a medic alert bracelet and it has on it:
On the front is my name

On the back it says:
- Epilepsy
- Medicine that I'm allergic to
- That I have a VNS and can't have an MRI

I keep a paper in my wallet with all my meds, dosages and times they are taken on it. My emergency contacts, PCP and neuro numbers are on it too. I have a business card type thing that came with my VNS and directions how to use it.

I refuse to wear medic alert bracelet Because I've been told they don't bother took at them.

I have something in my wallet.

I refuse to wear medic alert bracelet Because I've been told they don't bother took at them.

I wear mine. The last accident I had, the EMTs definitely DID look at it because I could not speak yet when they arrived. I also have Diabetes and they immediately checked my glucose and decided the accident was due to the diabetes, not E. So, IMO, it is best for me to wear one.

medic alert won't put the vital things on a bracelet I have wrong with me.
I have more than just epilepsy I take coumadin allergic Iodine have pacemaker and MRI would kill me.

They listed my "conditions" on the back of my bracelet. At least this MedicAlert did:

http://www.medicalert.org/
http://www.medicalert.org/importance-of-medical-ids

I have more than just epilepsy I take coumadin allergic Iodine have pacemaker and MRI would kill me.

Like I said, I, too, have more than just E to deal with and take numerous meds plus have to give myself insulin shots AND have the VNS, too. It is all stated on the card I keep in my wallet. It also states NO MRI for me! And on the back of the bracelet, is the 1-800 # for anyone to call InCaseofEmergency.

I've been waiting too long, and now my workplace (and doctor) is requesting for me to get a medical alert bracelet.

I was wondering. Other than my name, and condition, do I put anything else on there? Since the doctors constantly change my meds,
I'd be worried to get one and the following week they change it which would require me to order a new one.

Any suggestions?

Some common information used is:

Name
DOB
Condition(s)
Allergies (IE: Penicillin, Iodine)
Test Restrictions (IE: No MRI)
*On MEDS
I.C.E.

*For meds* I just put "on meds". You can carry a card with you with a list of your current meds. This way you can update it as needed.

buy road id and buy medic alert band. you program all your meds , doctors, and any surgerys or conditions. i bought a band that says stroke/seizures. go on site and check it out. cheap yearly rate

I got my medic alert bracelet from a jewelry store. They put what ever I wanted on it as long as there was room.

There are also ones you can order online that will put whatever you tell them to on it.

From someone who has his bracelet back on...

EMTs are trained to look for necklaces and bracelets.

MedicAlert, as basic information on a necklace or bracelet, has their 800 number to a 24/7 hotline with access to your entire medical history and emergency contacts.

Some common information used is:

Name
DOB
Condition(s)
Allergies (IE: Penicillin, Iodine)
Test Restrictions (IE: No MRI)
*On MEDS
I.C.E.

Good ideas, but too much information to fit on a medical ID tag, and too little to put in the actual online record. Mine says, on the back of a smallish oval bracelet, underneath CALL 1-800-XXX-XXXX:

LENS
IMPLANTS.
A-FIB. EPILEPSY.
ON ANTICOAGULANT.
ALLERG PRADAXA
XXXXXXX (my file number)​

Five lines of information. A larger bracelet could accommodate more.

Finally, if you, the reader, are looking into your first ID, and are concerned about it looking odd, check out ROADID.COM. They're oriented toward cyclists and other active types, but I particularly like the amount of information you can put on the ID itself, and their online information is thorough like MedicAlert.

I wear a medical alert bracelet and anklet. The bracelet I started wearing after I was diagnosed with epilepsy 19 months ago. The anklet I wear when I ride my bike which I do a lot: 1000 miles/month for the last 12 years. There is a company called RoadID from whom I got both of my ID's. They have several styles etc. They also make an "interactive ID" which basically has only my name on it, an 800#, website, and PIN number. You go to the website and fill in as much info as you want/need, emergency contacts, medical conditions, medications, allergies, etc. if your meds change you just go to the website and update your own info. I have been with several cyclists over the years who have crashed have had a RoadID on, the first responders always looked for such, and tracked down all the info quickly.

Hope this is helpful.

I wear a medical alert bracelet and anklet. The bracelet I started wearing after I was diagnosed with epilepsy 19 months ago. The anklet I wear when I ride my bike which I do a lot: 1000 miles/month for the last 12 years. There is a company called RoadID from whom I got both of my ID's. They have several styles etc. They also make an "interactive ID" which basically has only my name on it, an 800#, website, and PIN number. You go to the website and fill in as much info as you want/need, emergency contacts, medical conditions, medications, allergies, etc. if your meds change you just go to the website and update your own info. I have been with several cyclists over the years who have crashed have had a RoadID on, the first responders always looked for such, and tracked down all the info quickly.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks! :) That's actually a really good idea

Back
Top Bottom