Medical bracelets?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

graceface

New
Reaction score
I was just wondering how everyone feels about them?

I guess aside from thinking they are a terribly ugly accessory I've always had an issue with wearing a bracelet. Ive got a bit of a complex about being identified as an epileptic, ok yeah i've got epilepsy but it isn't "who I am", like if you wear the bracelet someone who is complete stranger knows you have epilepsy but doesn't know your name...And it's not me trying to hide my epilepsy, i've got no issue with that, I'll happily discuss my epilesy and how it effects my life to most people. I mean sure I understand it's a health thing but does the bracelet really change much?

Myself, I don't wear one.
If I were to get one, and I've been considering it, I'd go with dog-tags, or in your case a necklace of some sort. Keep it under my shirt, and if I feel one coming on just slip it out so it's viewable if someone is there...
I'm curious how other people view them, myself... :)

i dont mind the thought of them, but i just dont like jewelry really.
I used to love watches, but when I no longer had anywhere to be I quit wearing a watch.

a lot of my smaller injuries have come from jewelery or things around wrapped around me exiting violently , so i kinda like to freeball it.

i have four of them. on the days i go to the VA hospital i wear the American flag one.
But i must say that i was afraid at first to wear one,
then one day after awakened in the ER the EMS
crew thanked me for wearing my medic alert bracelet.
They said it really helped them out.
They could of givin me the wrong drugs...
I wear mine for life now....

thanks nakamova, i figured there would be some discussions bout it just wasn't sure where to look, ill suss em out :)

I was just wondering how everyone feels about them?

I guess aside from thinking they are a terribly ugly accessory I've always had an issue with wearing a bracelet. Ive got a bit of a complex about being identified as an epileptic,

I wear a Medic-Alert bracelet, but there are necklaces, sports bands, watches,
dog tags and shoe tags. I don't feel I'm being identified as an "epileptic". I absolutely hate that word. I wear the bracelet in case of an emergency, if I do have a TC or go status while out on my own. I have had TC's while out in public and 911 has been called, so having a medic alert bracelet has helped. I also have Type 1 diabetes, so medics DO need to know.
Here's what my bracelet looks like from http://www.medicalert.org/shop/shopHome.htm

Last edited:
I have a few different medical id's, but almost never wear them. I guess it depends on the situation. I used to wear a bracelet everyday to work, but it pinched my arm hair. I also have dog tags style, and a bracelet I can wear when working out. On the whole, I am not a big fan of wearing bracelets, and quit wearing a watch a long time ago. I have an ICE (In Case of Emergency) contact on my phone. I think I have been lucky enough to always be around people I know when having a seizure.

I wear a Medic-Alert bracelet, but there are necklaces, sports bands, watches,dog tags and shoe tags. http://www.medicalert.org/shop/shopHome.htm
I wear a Medic Alert bracelet which looks the same as the one Cint posted.
I have had my bracelet for 10 years & wear it all the time. I got mine through the Australian Medic Alert Foundation, it is registered & I just pay a small fee each year to keep my details up to date.
The only way anyone would know my bracelet is for epilepsy is if they turned it over & saw the word Epilepsy engraved inside it.
I have had people see my bracelet & ask me if my Medic Alert bracelet was for an allergy (eg bee stings).

Last edited:
I have a bracelet and I always wear it. My neuro and family both decieded that it would be a good idea to have one.

My mom got me one as a gift. We went to a jewelery store and got a really nice one. If you didn't know it was a medical bracelet you wouldn't know it was.

I have one but I don't wear it anymore. I know I should but I got asked about it often and being a pretty private person I took it off.

Back
Top Bottom