Medication changes - how long do they take to settle

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wobblez

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope you're all having a good day.

I'm a little worried right now about how I'm going to manage full time uni plus dealing with this epilepsy. I study every morning and attend classes 3 days a week. It doesn't take up 40hrs a week of my time, but it's much more intensive for me than working full time because it involves so much computer work which seems to be a big trigger at the moment. Obviously studying and learning are also quite taxing. At the moment I'm keeping up but the assignments haven't really started yet. I'm ahead of my readings (I was smart and started over summer) but if things get worse, I'll fall behind real quick. The need for computer work is also increasing.

I see the Epileptologist next Tuesday so I will make my decisions then, but I'm aware that it won't be some miracle consultation that provides all the answers. If she changes my medication, how long can it take to "come down" off one and build up on another? If she adds a medication to my Lamictal, I can expect at least a 3 week wait before I see improvement, right?

I can withdraw from any of my units before 31st March without any academic or financial penalty. However in order to keep my Austudy ($200 a week government payments for students) I have to study at least 3 units. I can't drive, i'm not exactly employable right now so I may as well stay studying. At least it's somewhat flexible in terms of having "bad days".

My epilepsy has been worsening since Feb 2012, with 3 hospital visits last week, one possible status seizure and now i'm averaging at least one complex partial a day and relying on valium to stop them myself or allow me to go to bed safely at night. I'm sleeping through my alarms when I try and have a 1/2 hour nap during the day. I wake up 2 or 3 hours later which then disrupts my sleeping patterns. I'm struggling.

Can anyone give me an idea on how long I can expect new medication to take to settle things down? How do other uni students manage? So ready for this 2 year journey to be over. I just want a diagnosis of SOMETHING and something to get it under control again.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Are there any alternatives to the 'reading' portion meaning do they offer the course 'reading' portion in an audio format? I was looking at a site that offers computer screens or filters for the screen that are supposed to help. I'll dig back through my bookmarks and see if I can find it. Maybe that will help with the computer portion of things.

I can't offer any advice on the med portion as I dont have any experience with it yet. I hope things start to get better quick for you. Maybe you'll get lucky and the epileptologist you see next Tuesday will be the answer you've been waiting for. At least we can hope for that.

Hi Kaitybugsmom, (again lol)

I am looking into getting a computer filter. Mum and I drove around looking for one but no one stocks them so we'll try online. Hopefully that will help with the glare?? I know Lamictal has caused issues with my eyes (visible to my Optomotrist) but it does settle down once my body adjusts to the higher dosage. Let's hope it will do the same again.

I go to bed and can't help but starting thinking about that EEG I had last week and praying it shows something! Must stop worrying that no one believes me, just before the first Neurologist said I was just a "stressed psych student who thinks too much!!"

Believe me, I don't fit any of the criteria for such disorders, I checked!! If I do get a positive reading on the EEG, i'll send a copy of it to him with "I told you so!!" scribbled all over it! Hmmm...really need to move on from this don't I lol

LOL! After reading some posts in here, I called the neurologist that is going to be seeing Kait next Thursday. Come to find out...he hasnt and wont see the actual EEG that was done. He said all he will get is the report that the person who read it sends to her primary. He asked if I could obtain the actual reading as HE would like to read it. He told me that sometimes other Dr's see things that others dont, that sometimes the ones that 'read' them are looking for significant changes or abnormalities and dont always pay attention to that little dip or that little spike that could make or brake a diagnosis.

Its easy to get stressed I know! Was the EEG last week a video one? I dont remember. And I am like you...I would circle/highlight the areas and then write at the top. "this stressed psych student thinks you dont know much"!!

Ok, I cant find the link. However, I was researching polarized glasses for Kait. (thank you Nakamova!!) And one of the interesting things that I read was that they are really suited for computer work as well! The best thing about them is they are easy enough to carry with you as opposed to a screen so if you're at the uni and need to use the computer you can have them with you. Another tip that I found about the computer is to lower the contrast and brightness.

Oh thanks for the tip on the glasses KBM!

I'm glad your Neuro is chasing up the actual EEG as opposed to just the results page. Let's hope this means he'll assess her thoroughly!

My EEG was only a normal one. I'm on the waiting list for a video EEG.

Can anyone give me an idea on how long I can expect new medication to take to settle things down?
It depends a bit on which med, and if it interacts with the Lamictal. It also depends on how sensitive you are to small changes in dosage, what what your target dosage is. Everyone is slightly different in this regard. Some meds, like Keppra, have a short half-life -- this means you can get up to speed on them fairly quickly. You might feel results within a few days, but it may also take longer if your target dose takes a few weeks to achieve.

it always depends on the person,dosage and which drug and if u are familiar with it time might be less but nothin is for sure in our situations.

Hi guys. I thought that might be the case but you've given me some things to think about. Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom