Medication or Not

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sandi

New
Reaction score
I struggle , right now going through a bad time, with spells, Though I think I might have seizures -Maybe it's not Being un -medicated doesn't seem to matter many of you on medication seem to be in flux as much as I am!So- I wonder what's he Difference! You all have a name but no relief!
Is there anyone who lives a normal life ?Who takes their meds and doesn't become consumed by E?Sorry I am frustrated now!

Hi Sandi!

Yup, I still have break through seizures, but I know I would have them a lot more and more severe if I wasn't on my meds. One day last week I missed one pill out of my little pill sorter, and it made a huge difference!! Sometimes it can take a while to find the right combination that works for you, and sometimes a combination that has worked in the past will stop working. It seems to be an ongoing game that we have to play. Best of luck!!

I take my meds and am seizure-free as a result. I'm always hoping that some day I can go off meds, but aside from that I would say that I live a "normal" life. I'm on my third med (Lamictal) and though it's not perfect, it does prevent my tonic-clonics and my dosage and side effects are relatively low. I'm only consumed by E in the sense that I spend a lot of time here at CWE!

Hi Sandi, I take my meds and am seizure free. As for the E not affecting me, well, life experiences are all filtered through the knowledge that I have E, have side effects from the medicines, and that somehow things could change. Sorta makes me a worry wart.

My daughter is not medicated and she has not had a seizure in 5 months, and 5 months prior to that. When on meds she was having 6 seizures a month.

We are making nutritional changes, and watching blood sugar levels, and supplementing with vitamins and minerals that support brain and body health.

Meds

i would be happy to take any med that would work- So far everything I have tried ends up a nightmare.
It's scary for me and I don't know I have the fortitude that some of you have to keep trying!
It is good to hear that some actually benefit from their meds - So far Few I have contact with do. It does give me some hope.

Hi, Sandi,

Most people are helped by the meds and are relatively free of side effects. You never hear from them because they rarely come in here, if at all. Most of the folks in here either have refractory seizures or have bothersome problems with the meds. So take heart. Most people are pretty okay.

Most people also have to take meds to get rid of the seizures. You never hear from them, either. Lots of the folks in here are pro-alternative treatments, because meds didn't work for them and they had to find another way. Or in other words, they had another root cause that needed to be addressed. Most people, it's neurological, and drugs are the answer.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try the other stuff - diet, neurofeedback, vitamins, etc. They can't hurt. And there's a small chance they may work. I'd give my eye teeth to have one of those work and get me off the meds. But they didn't. So it's meds or nothing for me, and nothing isn't an option at 2-3 seizures a day.

My seizures are almost gone now on Trileptal and Lamictal. For me it's just finding the right combination of meds that have the lowest side effects. I'm pretty sensitive to drugs, and the side effects have been not good for me. Yes, I'm one of the ones lingering in the support group - one of those that is not happily managed on drugs without adverse effects!

Thanks, I am not sure what to do and when I'm having ts many bad days running togheter with less sleep -I'm not a good advocate for myself.
I've started the seizure tracker so next Dr Visit I should have some info
as well as her looking at my file.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
For me, I have complex partial seizures and do take Lamictal XR and Keppra XR and so far so good as in control of my seizures. I had a recent neurology appointment and we talked about surgery which scared me. I do feel sort of at easy knowing that my seizures are coming from the left side but still.. I've had 9 surgeries for various things just to live, don't want another unless absolutly necessary.
So dealing with Epilepsy/seizures do take a lot out of you sometimes. I've had seizures since age 6 but didn't realize what they were until I was older..
I'm sure I will be on meds for a long time if not my whole life.
For me, I think I lead a normal life- just have to be careful, just the same with any other type medical condition, sleep and eat, rest and relax/destress and take care of yourself. All of these things, along with knowing more about your condition, can help settle your mind.
There are many people here that
have jobs and live a normal life while others here aren't having such a easy time in dealing with their Epilepsy or seizures.

Once you know for sure you episodes are Epilepsy related or not, you can talk with people about the condition and even join support groups or make new friends in the same situation. It helps to tell others your story and situation instead of feeling alone. Just my opinion.
:) Take care

Back
Top Bottom