medications

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cbmc

New
Reaction score
Saw my neuro on Friday due to ongoing partial seizures and complex partials not being controlled by Dilantin. Am currrently on 500 mg of Dilantin per day (200 in a.m. and 300 in p.m.). The dilantin is now in therapeutic levels and seizure activity is still not controlled so the doc has added Levetiracetam (500 mg) which the pharmacist said is Keppra. It is being introduced slowly ( one pill at night for a week, then one pill in a.m. and p.m. for a week and then 2 pills a.m. and p.m.) I am also scheduled for another EEG. What have people's experiences been with Keppra - is this going to get things under control?? and what side effects can I expect?? This is all new to me as I was just diagnosed in June.

Hi!

It's a hit and miss kind of thing with medications. It usualy takes more than one to get things under control . Please have patience, it takes time for the body to adjust and it takes time to fingure out the right dosage and combinations of medications that work. Just keep in mind about 80% of people do get their epilepsy under control with medication.

I did have a good experience up till 1500MG with Keppra than I became allergic to it.The same with all the other meds I'm allergic to a high dose except clonazepam. I would just itch like crazy with all the meds.

Belinda

I've not

used Keppra. However it does commony have the side effect of mood swings. It's famous for "Kepprage". Quite often E patients will take B6, the vitamin to combat it. But, don't stress about it quite yet....good luck!

Meetz
:rock:

Back
Top Bottom