Medications and injuries?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So for those who are active (or even those who aren't that active), have you noticed that you get hurt more often with medications? I guess this might apply more to people who didn't start on medications until later, or maybe those who have been on for awhile might be able to say if certain medications seem to coincide with getting hurt more. The reason I ask this is that I've been CONSTANTLY injured since last February... I didn't start on medications until April, but the first injury I had was a typical one for me... I've had more tendon injuries than I can count on one hand, BUT, since I've started on all this stuff, I've had bone problems, like a stress fracture - which I NEVER had in all my time running. I took two straight months off of running after the stress fracture (good), and it was completely pain free, then started hurting again... now something is up with my right ankle... Yea, running causes injuries if you do more than your body is ready for... but this has been CONSTANT, and they aren't the types of injuries I've ever had before. Oh and then there's the bruise I've had on my arm for a week that I don't even know how I got... Or the random bruises on my legs. I can only attribute this stuff to my medication, because I never bruised easily in the past.

Ugh, I feel like in my state I'd be better off without any of these medications. But I suspect if I wasn't on anything I'd probably be having more T/C seizures... right now it's just simple partials, but they were getting a lot worse before medications... who knows.

It might be the Lamictal. Some people suffer achy joints on it, and even though I'm a walker not a runner I get odd ankle pains too.

Also -- For me, all the anti-seizure medications I've tried have caused mild iron/B12/folic acid deficiency, which can lead to easy bruising.

Unfortunately, I've had similar experience, with running. Kind of. I was on various medications from 1999-2003... and started running in 2007. When training for my first marathon in 2009, I ended up with a stress fracture as well. Recovery, bone density tests, gait analysis, did everything right when I started again. Got the confidence back to try again, stress fracture, again. I've also seemed to have more issues with my teeth since then too :( I haven't been running since May, and back on meds since my seizures returned then, but I've often wondered the same thing... if the meds had long term effects that had a part to play in my injuries (even if I wasn't on them at that time). Good luck!

Yes,iv'e broken,both pinky fingers,bust two knuckles,broke a bone in my foot,sprained wrists and thats just general wear and tear.No serious running or active exercise(etc).But as 2ndchances says i have had a lot off issues with my teeth as well,as you say it makes you wonder if it's the aeds,im on Dekapote and Tegeretol,as you say,who knows?

Wow, Crash, that's insane! 2nd chances, what medications are you on? I'm on Lamictal (as well as Keppra )which - like Nakamova said - is known to cause some aches, but I dunno about fractures and the like :( I know those two are generally "gentler" but I guess they still have yucky side effects. The good news is that my ankle seems to be doing better today - though the former stress fracture in my left foot won't stop nagging me (it's mostly pain free most of the time, but with all the time off and careful buildup once pain free, I would think I wouldn't be having these issues)

When I had the stress fractures, I wasn't on the meds at the time, but before that, had been on Epival, Neurontin, Tegretol, (and maybe a few others that I've forgotten before having surgery. I was eventually weaned off of all meds in 2003, stress fractures were in 2007. Now, I'm on Dilantin and Phenobarb, but also tried Keppra and Vimpat for a short time.

I'd love to get back to running once I'm done recovered from this next surgery... but a little nervous to try.

I've been on Tegretol since I was 18 now 46 a long time. Had a bone density test done last year and discovered I have osteopenia from what I understand isn't really a disease but rather another term for your bone density being low. Doesn't make since I know. One of the side effects of anti seizure meds is bone desity loss almost 20 years of Tegretol it doesn't surprise me. But since I've been on Lomotrigine I've have also noticed bruising one morning last week I woke up with a black eye! go figure.

at some point I had it conveyed to me (maybe one of these postictal TC ER things that I can't quite place but that I magically have in my head) that AE meds ought to be supplemented with calcium, vitamin D, B supplement, fish oil, magnesium maleate (not other types like mag. oxalate)
but calcium and vitamin D work together...

drinking milk is a good thing
I had given up drinking milk for a while but have started drinking it much more

Sounds like Tegrotal isn't so good for bones... This is why I don't want to change medications. Keppra kinda sucks for moods, but I kinda had some mood issues before anyway. I do think Lamictal might be to blame for the bruises... I've had one for over a week. It's not like there was even that much pressure... so not cool. Oh, and it still hurts.

Back
Top Bottom