Meds and Exercise

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Anyone noticed if different meds affect your ability to exercise? I've posted about seizures and exercise in the past, and for me, exercise seems to help keep me focused and keep seizures away.

However, I've noticed since I've been on Keppra that my legs have felt heavier and my running mileage has slowly decreased. Maybe its just my own laziness or getting a little older, but a few years back when I was on Dilantin and Neurontin, I didn't notice any hindrance at all.

When my legs feel heavy it feels like I can really feel my feet pounding into the pavement, like I'm not as graceful as before. And, when I'm done its as if all that pounding makes my feet feel a little numb for awhile. Again, never happened when on the other drugs.

So, I thought I'd check with you good people and see if you noticed and differences in how you felt or performed when exercising based on different AEDs?

Thanks.

Yes Topamax made my calves burn when I ran at first--I wasn't drinking enough liquids or eating enough potassium, and both are important with that med. For me it was learning to make the proper adjustments to the med, but I'm pretty new to mine. How long have you been on Keppra?

I felt that way on Keppra, too. Then I switched to Vimpat and feel the same way. I'm gradually moving from Vimpat to Oxtellar XR so I'll see about that one. It seems that most of the AEDs list asthenia as a possible side effect. The effect for me has been one of stamina or endurance. I feel fatigued as a result of exercise much sooner than I did before I started taking meds. I only started in December of 2012 so I can really compare then and now. And there is a big difference.

Maybe slowly increasing your endurance would help.

Worth a try?

I felt that way on Keppra, too. Then I switched to Vimpat and feel the same way. I'm gradually moving from Vimpat to Oxtellar XR so I'll see about that one. It seems that most of the AEDs list asthenia as a possible side effect. The effect for me has been one of stamina or endurance. I feel fatigued as a result of exercise much sooner than I did before I started taking meds. I only started in December of 2012 so I can really compare then and now. And there is a big difference.

Just curious: why are you switching off of vimpat? I am newly on vimpat monotherapy after being on Vimpat, keppra and tegretol together.

I was only on Vimpat for about a month and It didn't do it for me. I have been on Keppra for over 14 years though and I have never been able to really build any muscle mass. I used to be able to run on a treadmill though for .5 hrs non stop without getting winded but now I can barely do hip hop abs for 25 mins before I start getting dizzy and winded and have to stop. I think I know what you mean about your legs feeling heavy kinda like your feet just kind of thunk on the ground. I Just thought that was me. Do you notice that your ankles are sore moreoften? Mine are constantly sore but that could be from being in a chair all day with my feet flat on the floor. Who knows really. I think Keppra really messes with our bodies though. Do you talk a magnesium suppliment? If not I would recommend it. Especially one that contains D3 in it as well. That might help with the feeling of weakness.
Cheers!

Vimpat wasn't working. I tolerated it OK. But it wasn't controlling my seizures. I'm a puzzling case -- simple partial sensory seizures every day, all day. Probably parietal seizures which apparently aren't all that common.

Vimpat wasn't working. I tolerated it OK. But it wasn't controlling my seizures. I'm a puzzling case -- simple partial sensory seizures every day, all day. Probably parietal seizures which apparently aren't all that common.

Interesting- sensory seizures are what one neurologist figured I had in addition to frontal lobe nocturnal focal motor seizures. My current neurologist, however, thinks the sensory sensations are either auras or non-aura parasthesias (from what he couldn't tell me). Who knows who is right. Since stopping the keppra and tegretol I also have been having what seem like nocturnal tonic seizures (self-diagnosis on this, but I'll bet my bottom dollar on it). As for the focal motor seizures, the vimpat helped at the dose I was told to take but it made me feel very "down" and I had to cut back (I didn't feel in the dumps when I was on all three medications - maybe there was a counterbalance there). For the sensory issues the vimpat makes them worse and for the what seem like tonic seizures, the vimpat is no help.

An aura actually is a simple partial seizure. Mine just don't turn into complex partial or generalized seizures presumably because the meds help control them in part.
I've struggled with mood as well, particularly on Zonegran and Keppra, but also on Vimpat to a lesser degree.

Interesting. Vimpat, hate it and I am getting off of it. One, it is too expensive. Two, every time I take my pills (200 mg twice/day) I get an hour to two strange feelings in my head. One thing with certainty, if I am going to exercise it certainly is not near my pill taking time. The vimpat may be as it is because of tegretol but is will be going away and with luck I would be more able to get back to exercise daily with the new med.

I guess in reality each of us are different and what happens via this drug or that one, one just never knows until they get to play with new drugs...

Anyone noticed if different meds affect your ability to exercise? I've posted about seizures and exercise in the past, and for me, exercise seems to help keep me focused and keep seizures away.

However, I've noticed since I've been on Keppra that my legs have felt heavier and my running mileage has slowly decreased. Maybe its just my own laziness or getting a little older, but a few years back when I was on Dilantin and Neurontin, I didn't notice any hindrance at all.

When my legs feel heavy it feels like I can really feel my feet pounding into the pavement, like I'm not as graceful as before. And, when I'm done its as if all that pounding makes my feet feel a little numb for awhile. Again, never happened when on the other drugs.

So, I thought I'd check with you good people and see if you noticed and differences in how you felt or performed when exercising based on different AEDs?

Thanks.

I would never been able to excerise on Neurontin. I could barely think straight while on it. (I took it for nerve pain before I was DX'ed with seizures.) I only have partial seizures and Lamictial has prevented most of my seizures. It does not make me feel weak at all. Since being on it I have rejoined the gym and really enjoy working out again.

I think I know what you mean about your legs feeling heavy kinda like your feet just kind of thunk on the ground. I Just thought that was me. Do you notice that your ankles are sore moreoften? Mine are constantly sore but that could be from being in a chair all day with my feet flat on the floor. Who knows really. I think Keppra really messes with our bodies though. Do you talk a magnesium suppliment? If not I would recommend it. Especially one that contains D3 in it as well. That might help with the feeling of weakness.
Cheers!

I take a big multi vitamin with B complex that contains magnesium and a separate calcium supplement that also contains D3, Magnesium, and others nutrients.

My ankles are sore alot, but most especially in the morning or if I have been sitting for awhile. I thought it was just from years of running, but who knows?? I may try to get off Keppra.

Yes Topamax made my calves burn when I ran at first--I wasn't drinking enough liquids or eating enough potassium, and both are important with that med. For me it was learning to make the proper adjustments to the med, but I'm pretty new to mine. How long have you been on Keppra?

I've been on Keppra now for 3 years. Immediately prior to that I was on Neurontin alone for year, and before that Dilantin and Neurontin for many years.

I definitely noticed my stamina went into the toilet after moving from neurontin to keppra, but I thought it would improve over time, and I think it did. However, over the past year, it seems to have gotten worse again..

Maybe slowly increasing your endurance would help.

Worth a try?

I've been trying to do just that, but its been difficult to sustain any improvement, especially lately. Some days are worse than others, where I can only last half as long as I did the week before. It's weird, but I can definitely tell when my legs have that heavy plodding feeling really bad. (I always have it to some degree, but as I said some days are worse)

Several questions:
1. Do you have water retention in the feet? If so, propping them up is one method of minimizing that. Also, cutting down on sodium helps.
2. Is this like neuropathy (tingling sensation)? Taking B6 helps (100% daily).
3. Have you taken a sugar level lately? It could be diabetic neuropathy.
4. Do you eat a lot of green vegetables and nuts? They have nutrients that help with neuropathy.

Personally, I have had excellent results with lamictal as well, but I only do brand name. We have toll free numbers in here that can provide a significant reduction in cost. One site just gives a huge percent off like 70% just for signing up, but the trick is to present the card/vouchers at the time of buying the meds at a pharmacy. The company wants feedback on the demand for its medication...brand or generic.

BTW, I do exercise regularly as well. I go at my own pace. It might be a good idea to ask about compression socks similar to the devices at the foot of a hospital bed used to prevent blood clotting. It might also be a good idea to check for any other underlying conditions like pulmonary hypertension, regular hypertension, thyroid function, and investing in an over the counter Oxymeter. The Oxymeter will provide you with a heart rate count and oxygen level. If oxygen is too low, it can cause the same fatigue you described.

Last edited:
I don't remember having that problem... actually, my running has improved, but that was probably completely independant of the medications. However, I have also been taking tons of vitamins since I started on these medications, since I know some of the medications cause deficiencies that can cause negative side effects

Several questions:
1. Do you have water retention in the feet? If so, propping them up is one method of minimizing that. Also, cutting down on sodium helps.
2. Is this like neuropathy (tingling sensation)? Taking B6 helps (100% daily).
3. Have you taken a sugar level lately? It could be diabetic neuropathy.
4. Do you eat a lot of green vegetables and nuts? They have nutrients that help with neuropathy.

1. No water retention
2. I don't think its neuropathy, but who knows? If it is its early onset, since I only notice some light numbness and tingling after running for awhile and then afterwards. My docs haven't noticed neuropathy, though its been at least 6 months since I've seen one.
3. I have glucose levels taken as part of my yearly physical, and I've never been high and have not been diagnosed as diabetic or pre-diabetic.
4. I don't eat alot of green vegetables and nuts. I do okay in that department but not like I should. However, I take a big multivitamin everyday, B complex, and separate calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium supplements as well.

Thanks for the interest.

I don't remember having that problem... actually, my running has improved, but that was probably completely independant of the medications. However, I have also been taking tons of vitamins since I started on these medications, since I know some of the medications cause deficiencies that can cause negative side effects

I take lots of supplements too. Most of my doctors don't say anything or look at me funny when I give them the list. The first time I met my current neuro, she walked into the room and first thing she said was "wow, you are taking a lot of good things". She even recommended that I up the dose of a couple of them. When I saw my primary doctor she asked me what the neuro thought of my supplments and when I told her she just said "oh, okay". Could be my neuro is from India and seems to also beleive in more than just western medicine. She has even suggested relaxition therapy and biofeed back therapy for my sleeping problems.

I don't let my medication stop me from getting a good pump/workout...but I sometimes think that it effects my ability to remain super saiyan for longer periods of time :|

Back
Top Bottom