Meds and Exercise

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Are all of you able to run and do hard cardio without it causing seizures? I'm not sure why but running is my Achilles Heel--I have SPs every time I run, super frustrating. Seems like that doesn't happen to any of you?

I do zone progression training...similar to P90x but utilizes a different method...I do a mix of high intensity calisthenics/cardio...it gets me pumped and sweaty as hell...

I'm competing to be Miss America this year so I have to look my absolute best...lean and ripped :D

sometimes I can feel a little "woozy" during a workout if I over do it...but that's perfectly normal...I do notice however feeling a slight "twitchy" after each workout...but that's also normal since you are putting stress on the nervous system and well an epileptics nervous system is going to be more susceptible...but it eventually dissipates over time...

I find it best to workout about an hour after you wake up...get some water and nutrients into your system to wake yourself up...

When I get up I'll first drink 8oz of water to wake up my bowels and then I'll have a banana with cinnamon, a tablespoon of natural peanut butter, and a scoop of chocolate whey for a pre workout...20-30 minutes after I'll have the same thing then about 45 minutes to an hour later I'll eat a meal...usually an omelet with some fruit...then later I'll eat more food...usually something like chicken and broccoli or kale...but I'll also snack in between like on nuts or yogurt with fruit or I'll have some beans...usually black...it depends on the day...but you need to eat actual food and not garbage...that's the point (however it is okay to have a cheat meal every now and then ;))

you never want to workout without being properly prepared...

I recently learned that cinnamon helps stabilize blood sugar and improve brain function and I notice more power/better focus during my workouts...but that is just me...results will vary depending on the person...

Other supplements include Fish Oil, Vitamin-D, Gaba-Plus, and L-Theanine...screw "Multi-Vitamins" those are complete waste of money...you should be focusing on getting most of your nutrients in your food anyway...good luck! :)

Last edited:
Are all of you able to run and do hard cardio without it causing seizures? I'm not sure why but running is my Achilles Heel--I have SPs every time I run, super frustrating. Seems like that doesn't happen to any of you?

I don't run, but I walk fast, with an incline on the treadmill and lift weights. It doesn't cause me to have seizures.

I'm running in the am, two hours after meds, so high levels I would think, well hydrated, high protein breakfast, snacking and hydrating on the way, doing all good running preparedness, and going slow. I've been running this same hill for 12 years, never a problem until this seizure resurgence. I've cut it in half, from 12 miles down to 6. Maybe it's just something I'm going to have to accept until I get my new med up to level or just be willing to accept a number of mild simple partials once a week. Not sure I'm willing to give up running.

I'm running in the am, two hours after meds, so high levels I would think, well hydrated, high protein breakfast, snacking and hydrating on the way, doing all good running preparedness, and going slow. I've been running this same hill for 12 years, never a problem until this seizure resurgence. I've cut it in half, from 12 miles down to 6. Maybe it's just something I'm going to have to accept until I get my new med up to level or just be willing to accept a number of mild simple partials once a week. Not sure I'm willing to give up running.

Good job! Here might be something to cheer you up...it's one my "quotes" that helps get me through these tough times...

"Nothing worth living for in life comes easy"

So don't you dare give up!
Keep up the good work!
Find your inner fire!
Get a good burn!

:)

screw "Multi-Vitamins" those are complete waste of money...you should be focusing on getting most of your nutrients in your food anyway...good luck! :)

What is wrong with a multi-vitamin? I take a brand called Bluebonnet that has Vit A, Vit C, D3, E, B1, B2, B3, B6, Folate, B12, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Iodine, Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium, Copper, Manganese, Chromium, Molybdenum, Potassium, and also amounts of Inositol, PABA, and Lutein.

Admittedly, the Calcium, Magnesium, and D3 aren't as high as I like, so I take separate supplements for those to assist with bone preservation after taking AEDs for so many years.

Obviously, its better to get vitamins and nutrients from food, but I never saw the harm in a multi vitamin supplement to assist with what you don't get via food or to add to foods that don't have as much nutritional value as they once did in the past due to soil issues..

She has even suggested relaxition therapy and biofeed back therapy for my sleeping problems.

I had a neurologist in Fargo, ND and she would love it if she knew the supplements and vitamins I now take... she bailed out and went to East Coast to start her personal business. I don't think my neurologist now would really care... he'd probably say good, but other than that he is one of those who "doesn't say anything." And my family doctor, he would "look at me funny" if I showed him my list.

But MAB, I would really like to know a bit about this "relaxation therapy and biofeed back therapy for my sleeping problems."

Okay I lied... I've noticed my running has been a bit more sluggish since Depakote. I'm not sure if that's just from not running as much over the winter (though I have been running), or if my body is adjusting to the medication.

My neuro told me he'd prefer me not to take potassium and get it through food. I was eating bananas until my eyes turned yellow and still showing all the symptoms of potassium deficiency like weakness, tingling, numbness and diarrhea (I'm on both Topamax and a high dose of a loop diuretic, both of which can really deplete electrolytes). I finally added a potassium supplement every other day, and all symptoms subsided, I started sleeping again, and he tested my potassium and it was right where it should be. I also take magnesium, B12, etc etc and he tested those as well and they were all in the sweet spot. I'm going to take what I think I need since a lot of docs think supplements are hooey and I don't so there :)

You know... this isn't a problem anymore for me, but before I was on medication I noticed I was getting them frequently when running. They were what I called the more "intense" ones where I felt like I was living in a dream (stronger than deja vu... usually followed deja vu, then almost having an entire picture in my head of a memory I never had, then nausea). I mostly had them while I was running... now that I'm on medication I haven't really had that problem. I have noticed a higher incidence when I do a lot of intense exercise though.

You know... this isn't a problem anymore for me, but before I was on medication I noticed I was getting them frequently when running. They were what I called the more "intense" ones where I felt like I was living in a dream (stronger than deja vu... usually followed deja vu, then almost having an entire picture in my head of a memory I never had, then nausea). I mostly had them while I was running... now that I'm on medication I haven't really had that problem. I have noticed a higher incidence when I do a lot of intense exercise though.

Yes I've noticed mine are getting fainter and fainter now that I'm on Lamictal and increasing the dose. Hard to even call them deja vus, they are so short, tho they have that same quality, but there are a lot of them. Now they stop a few minutes after my run--they used to go on and on for hours after I stopped. Now pretty much the only time I get any seizure activity at all is when I run, so at least there is some major progress!

i havent gotten out at night and ridden the way i should and climbed the hils like normal in a bit, but it is partially because i am switching meds right now. plus we have been having cold snaps here, I will be on vimpat in a few weeks. which is a shame I kinda want to ride tonight. but with little to no potigia in my system, i dont want to wake up in a ditch.

i am still doing my small lift, but it is a small lift to me, so I dont think it counts as much.

I've never had any problem exercising because of any of the meds I've been on , and I've been on a lot of meds in my life time.

What is wrong with a multi-vitamin?

Absolutely nothing...it was just my opinion...you can do as you wish...if you believe something is working for you then great...more power to you! I take my own share of supplements but my main focus is on my diet...

but if you want actual scientific facts it has been proven that most multi-vitamins will not absorb entirely into the bloodstream because of the bombarding delivery method and any unabsorbed vitamins will simply be expelled through ones urine...thus you are pissing money away...literally...but don't take my word for it...do your own research...prove me wrong...

I just prefer eating good nutritious food rather than relying mostly on supplements...you can never be too careful with these supplement companies...listen to your body...you'll know if something is actually working or not...even if it's just a sugar pill :)

Last edited:
I had a neurologist in Fargo, ND and she would love it if she knew the supplements and vitamins I now take... she bailed out and went to East Coast to start her personal business. I don't think my neurologist now would really care... he'd probably say good, but other than that he is one of those who "doesn't say anything." And my family doctor, he would "look at me funny" if I showed him my list.

But MAB, I would really like to know a bit about this "relaxation therapy and biofeed back therapy for my sleeping problems."

I will respond as soon as I get a little time later today.

high cardio has made me have a seizure a few times,
I switch between two bikes, one for strength, one for high cardio. and I am getting my cardio back were it was, but it will be a bit and I have totaled a few expensive bikes and ripped off body parts because of it.

Just a random question but how do you know if you're having a seizure if you're completely unaware of it? Lol

you wake up in a ditch bleeding. or running naked down the street.

pretty much speaking from life,
or your first thoughts are
"well crap"
or "where are my glasses"
there probably is a thread around here somewhere about, first thoughts, if not there should be,

Back
Top Bottom