Meds and Major Weight Loss?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Minkels

New
Reaction score
Okay, so I've looked for this one on here but haven't found it so forgive me if it's been asked before....

Started on Keppra back in June 2010 at 1000 mg a day, lost about 5 lbs on it...probably partially due to the fact the Keppra killed my appetite and I really didn't feel like eating since I was still seriously depressed over having the seizures to begin with.

The seizures continued, so a couple of weeks later, the doctor ramped up the Keppra dose to almost 3000 mg a day. Bad idea--I was running into walls, falling down (due to clumsiness, not seizures), couldn't think straight, etc. Went back to the doctor and when he saw me stumbling around like I was drunk, he cut my dose back to 1000 mg and added 150 mg of Topomax (this would be early July).

A couple of more seizures later, the doctor decides that some Lamictal XR might do the trick (as far as seizure control). He titrated me over the course of a month up to 150 mg daily of Lamictal XR which gives me some pretty lousy side effects (mostly cognitive) but has kept the seizures under control.

I wasn't heavy to begin with (5' 4", 118 pounds), have a job where I walk the equivalent of anywhere from 2.5-6 miles per night, and I eat about 2100 calories per day. I don't come from a large, robust line of people either...my mom is all of 5 feet tall and 100 pounds and my dad is all of 5' 5" and 130 pounds...lol. I'm 40 years old and should be having the OPPOSITE problem with my weight!

I am now struggling to stay over 100 pounds and my husband is just about to worry himself to death over it. I recently had bloodwork done to check for the usual culprits for weight loss (thyroid, etc.) and it all came back just fine.

I feel okay other than tired from working the 12-14 hour shifts at my job (not a good idea with epilepsy I know, but I am looking around but it's going to take a while in this economy esp. where I live), and a bit tired from the meds.

I know that some of you are on at least a couple of the same meds I am taking and am wondering if they have caused dramatic weight loss for you or if I am having some strange reaction to them?

Wellll, ah,

all THREE of the meds you're on are known to be a problem with weight. *chuckling* HOWEVER, Lamictal tends to usually PUT IT ON. Topamax and Keppra are the 2 that are more notorious for weight loss, Keppra because of depression issues, Topomax just because it's one of the possible side effects.

I'd suggest talking to a couple of people besides your doc. Because if your seizures are now under control, then try keeping them that way before you mess with the meds again for a while.

But DO talk to your doc about the concerns. And DO talk to a registered dietician about your diet. You're going to have to find a way to make the calories stick...in a healthy way. Also, talk to your pharmacist--perhaps he/she has some ideas that might help the doc. The docs are not all-knowing.

Finally, DON'T be afraid to go for another opinion. Your diagnosis is still early, and getting things sorted out this early is pretty difficult. I wish I could say that you could wave a magic wand all the time, and it would all be fixed. It doesn't always work that way, unfortunately.

You may also want to keep a seizure journal for a variety of reasons. There may be something that you are doing/eating that is causing you to trigger more, and it will help pin things down...such as eating patterns, sleeping patterns and possible photosensitivity--and more.

Good luck, and take care!

Meetz
:rock:

Hi Minkels,

Yes, those meds can make one depressed, dizzy, and curb the appetite. Currently I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra along with 200 mgs. Topomax a day. Initially, I was taking a much higher dosage of Topomax and the weight started falling off me, too, so my dr. had to stop the med at the time. I also have a thyroid problem, so maybe that was a contributing factor in my case. She started me on something and I don't remember now what it was, but it didn't control the seizures, so now I am back on a much smaller dose along with the Keppra. My weight is now stabilized as are the mood swings, depression.

I also took Lamictal at one time and didn't have a problem with weight gain or loss on that med, nor with mood swings. But for me, it did nothing for control of the seizures.

As Meetz suggested, talk to your pharmacist. I know mine has helped me and has called the docs because of drug interactions.

I hope you find answers soon.

Hi, Minkles,

I gained weight on Keppra and Trileptal, lost weight on Topamax and Lamictal. Everybody is different.

Do see a dietician. She'll advise you on some ways to get healthy high-calorie foods into your diet.

Hope you feel better soon. I understand what it's like to feel drunk on a med. Trileptal made me feel like I was high and drunk at the same time, and the Lamictal makes me feel like I'm on speed. I keep telling myself there are millions of twenty-somethings who would pay good money to feel this way. lol...

Back
Top Bottom