Which meds reduce seizures but don't cause weight gain?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Senjuro

New
Reaction score
Below's wall of text summary: On Tegretol 800mg 2x daily, Depakote 1,000mg 2x daily, Gabapentin 800mg 4x daily. Need suggestions for other meds because these are making me gain and keep crazy weight with an inability to lose any no matter what I do. I also only see my Neuro for Rx refills, A.K.A., not often at all.

Okay, so I've been on anti seizure drugs the majority of my life, and I've been heavy from the many "May cause weight gain," "May cause increase in appetite," etc. I am 400lbs and have tried every diet known to man with ZERO results in pound loss. So right now, I am on Tegretol 800mg twice a day, Depakote 1,000mg twice a day, and Gabapentin mainly for neuropathic pain, but also for seizure control, four 800mg tabs a day, as well as Abilify and some others to control pain, and this is after removing 3 different meds from my roster. I don't know very much of the anti seizure drugs aside from the limited knowledge of the ones I've taken. Are there others that I can take to hopefully at least make me stop gaining weight?? The reason I am on so much is because my seizures could not get under control. It doesn't help that I'm very tall, and obviously 400lbs will require higher doses. But, when I have a seizure, it is almost always Grand Mal. I rarely have smaller ones that are no big deal. Thanks in advance!

One that I lost a substantial amount of weight when I first started taking it is Topamax, also known as Dopemax. It can also make a person very forgetful and difficult to find words. And Depakote is a drug that is known for weight gain. Abilify is for bipolar and those with seizures need to be very careful as this med can lower one's seizure threshold. It also causes weight gain, so ask your dr. about these meds.

I've lost weight on Topamax also--I've also lost weight on Keppra--I'm on both now and still losing. Definitely not complaining about this!

I have a hard enough time with memory and finding words as it is now lol. I was not aware meds could make one so fuzzy-minded, maybe that's why I have so much trouble speaking without tripping up on words all the time?

I have always worried so much about the weight gain (I am a recovering anoretic)but I have found a med that has begun to help my seizures and I wont give it up after what I have been through. That's Depakote. So I am going for daily walks in the mornings now and hoping not to gain or at least not much!

I only took Keppra for a few days before I had an allergic reaction but it totally killed my apatite. I have been on Lamictial since Oct or Nov and have lost 30 pounds. Might be the Lamictial or the fact that I feel better so I am back at the gym or it might be the increase in my thyroid meds or even a supplement that I take with white kidney bean extract or even a combination. At any rate, now I am trying to not loose any more weight.

Actually it can be different for almost everyone depending on what works and what people has side effect of weight gain.

Tegretol has never made me gain weight Depakote I'm allergic to so I didn't gai weight
Neurontin Caused weight gain with me.

I hear where you're coming from. Gaining weight from AED meds. is a real PITA.
Because you can't really loose it until you're off the meds. I'm a big guy 6'2", and I went from 280lbs to 315lbs. :(

But I've been at the other end too. There have been AEDs that caused me to loose weight. There was a time when I dropped down to 240lbs. Those AEDs include the following:

Depakote
Topamax
Zarontin
Zonegran
Keppra

But that wasn't in a good way. I wouldn't eat as much because of the pain I
experienced after eating. My stomach and digestive system was ruined because of it. :(

Some symptoms I experienced from thoses AEDs was: diarrhea, constipation, severe stomach & groin pain. The AEDs also resulted me having gall stones (gall bladder removal surgery), kidney stones, IBS, Ulcerative Colitis.

Not everyone experiences the same side effects. Maybe you will have better luck.
But you need to understand all the possible side effects for each AED you take. Some require monthly testings, while others don't. You need to make sure your neurologist
knows all the meds you are taking Rx & OTC. Without that important information your neurologist can't truly help you.

I hope you can find the right AEDs to control your seizures, without the weight gain. :)

Is the weight gain subjective with these medicines? If you feel dopey sluggish and inactive maybe that's what it is the weight gain culprit rather than an alteration of your metabolism or ability to digest food. I know if I feel miserable I don't eat health food as much too and am less motivated to exercise.

Is the weight gain subjective with these medicines? If you feel dopey sluggish and inactive maybe that's what it is the weight gain culprit rather than an alteration of your metabolism or ability to digest food. I know if I feel miserable I don't eat health food as much too and am less motivated to exercise.

Anyone taking that much medication is going to feel dopey and sluggish, no matter what, so maybe that is the culprit in his weight gain, but IMO, I don't think it is. Many of the seizure meds are also used as mood stabilizers, like Depakote along with Abilify. Depakote is definitely a drug that causes weight gain, no matter what one eats while taking it. Abilify is an anti-psychotic used for bi-polar disorder. But I took Zyprexa, a med in the same category for my mood disorder, and gained weight rapidly and gained Type 1 DIABETES from it, too!! I now have to take insulin along with my meds. So prescription meds can cause other problems! Anyone taking drugs in that category needs to watch their glucose levels carefully, as these drugs can alter your glucose.

All AED's work different on everybody. When I took Depakote it made me lose weight along with my hair. Zonegran is another drug that made me lose so much weight I looked anorexic. Lyrica was horrible, it made me gain weight and I had suicidal thoughts. After getting off the Lyrica I joined a gym and was able to lose the pounds I put on. I'm on Keppra and Onfi now. I think Onfi is killing my appetite and makes me very tired. Keppra just makes me mad as hell at times for the littlest things :(

Right now I'm on:
Depakote
Tegretol
Keppra
Lamactal

I know that at one of the, probably more, I gained weight on. I was going out walking every day and I lost a good bit. If I kept moving around then I kept it off.

I started having back problems and couldn't exercise and gained around 20lbs. I also started eating crazy. I'd eat half a gallon of ice cream a day and if you can name the food it probably went in my mouth.

Now I only eat when I'm hungry. And that's one major meal a day with some sort of snack, fruit or something like that, a day. If I am hungry for another meal then I'll eat it. I watch what I eat in general too. I'm moving around now too, not just sitting on the couch falling asleep. I've lost about 15lbs in the last few months.

I was on one med, I'm sorry I don't remember which one, but I had to be taken off of it because I wasn't eating at all. My family pretty much had to force me to eat. I also just layed around and did nothing either, slept mostly. I think I'd go days without a shower.

I recently started breaking my abilify in half because I was indeed feeling just that, sluggish, tired and lethargic. Once I started taking half and half, my energy shot through the roof, I exercise regularly at home and walk as much as I can. But yes, for the 10+ years I've been on all my various medicines, I described myself as a zombie, just going through the motions every day because I didn't feel anything towards anything. It has been a number of months, but I suspect that even several months of finally feeling energetic will not immediately reverse over a decade of heavy medication. It seems like every medication I consider for a replacement has area(s) that are far worse in side effects than the ones I am on now, making the cons outweigh the pros... I'm hoping my Neuro will have some helpful input.

Right now I'm on:
Depakote
Tegretol
Keppra
Lamactal

I know that at one of the, probably more, I gained weight on. I was going out walking every day and I lost a good bit. If I kept moving around then I kept it off.

I started having back problems and couldn't exercise and gained around 20lbs. I also started eating crazy. I'd eat half a gallon of ice cream a day and if you can name the food it probably went in my mouth.

Now I only eat when I'm hungry. And that's one major meal a day with some sort of snack, fruit or something like that, a day. If I am hungry for another meal then I'll eat it. I watch what I eat in general too. I'm moving around now too, not just sitting on the couch falling asleep. I've lost about 15lbs in the last few months.

I was on one med, I'm sorry I don't remember which one, but I had to be taken off of it because I wasn't eating at all. My family pretty much had to force me to eat. I also just layed around and did nothing either, slept mostly. I think I'd go days without a shower.
I am having difficulties dealing with eating, now that you mention it. Some days I want nothing to do with food and only eat enough to take my meds, and other days I just want to eat everything in sight! I rarely eat sweets save for a few miniature chocolate bars or some caramels, so I think I'm okay as far as candies are concerned. It's more inconsistent portion control and the less than healthy things I crave most.

medication and weight

Of the many meds I have tried two made me loose weight they were zonegran and topamax, I had to stop taking the Topamax as I lost too much. J

Of the many meds I have tried two made me loose weight they were zonegran and topamax, I had to stop taking the Topamax as I lost too much. J
Well, I am at an all time high in weight, but seem to have plateaued at 400lbs. At this point, I could stand to lose about 180lbs, and still be within a healthy range.

Keppra has been the one for me. I've held steady weight without it actually influencing weight loss or gain. So I like that - it feels "normal". Topamax was the last I was on before Keppra, but I was also much more fit when I was taking it and my appetite was slightly suppressed, but my old neurologist had me taking it with Paxil (also took it with Lamictal at a time before then), so that may have been a contributing thing, but that came at a cost to my short-term memory, which is way more important to me.

But with good calisthenic exercises and hard work and motivation, you can make that goal without the idea of the meds helping induce it in any case. Weigh the side-effects of one versus the other before making such a decision.

Keppra feels the most normal, for me. Makes me feel at the same level as back when I was a teen (though I am much older than I was then). Though, I can't say whether it has the same effect on everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks forr response, liqwidzero. I've been exercising consistently for over 3 months with a good diet. I stopped drinking all but diet sodas with zero sugar/calories. I cut back portion, increased veggies and protein, and I have lost exactly 0 pounds to date. Most people lose pounds each week just from cutting out soda alone. I mean, come on, 3 months and I lose nothing? The only explanation is the meds.

Back
Top Bottom