Melatonin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ColmanMac

New
Reaction score
Anyone with any ideas, advice, experiences of using Melatonin as an aid to sleep following Szs? - Or maybe effective alternatives?
Thanks
Col.

Hey Col, you might want to check this thread that talks about melatonin:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/sleep-suggestions-5377/
I know that a few members (Meetz?) have tried it and found that it works. Other suggestions -- honey, or warm milk or walnuts. the latter two have tryptophan to help with sleep.

You could try progressive relaxation (basically deep diaphragmatic breathing while tensing and relaxing muscles starting with the toes and ending with the head) and/or the Delta Sleep System (CDs designed to produce "good" delta brainwaves associated with sleep).

It is always best to use the lowest dose of melatonin that works for you. So instead of using 3 mgs to start, it would be best to try 1/2 mg (500mcg) and work up. Sometimes melatonin stops working and you want the option of being able to increase the dose to get the desired effect.

I use it but I use 20mg and it helps me actually fall asleep and not wake up a billion times while sleeping. I found the liquid for (its from walmart and formulated for women) works best for me and tastes like berries. as opposed to the fake mint or chocolate flavour the tabs come in.

also, chad uses valerian (??) root that we got at the drug store vitamin section to help him because melatonin just doesnt do a good enough job for him. it STINKS like majorly, but it knocks him out cold when he needs it.

Hi Col,

My doc actually told me to use melatonin. Of course that was a number of years ago when I was on so many meds. She prefers natural treatments if possible. At that time though, she was not aware of my epilepsy, as I also was not aware since my neuro/psych didn't explain anything to me.

But melatonin still works for me even when I've had day-long seizures. By that I refer to a few weeks ago when I was having myoclonics every 1-2 minutes all day, for two days. And the second day was more painful & intense. But the melatonin did let me sleep even on those nights.

You should probably still speak to your doc or a least to your pharmacist to see if it will interfere with any meds you are currently taking, because even though it is a natural substance, it can interfere with some meds. If you learn that it won't affect your meds, go for it! I agree with Hootie, start low & increase if needed. I take 5 mg, but I also have bi-polar, so sometimes even the 5 mgs doesn't work (I've had so many friends recommend stuff for depression w/o realizing someone w/bi-polar should not take it). I also have a number of very painful conditions (for which I can't take any Rx) that can still make it difficult to get to sleep, but for the most part, melatonin is a great alternative to Rx sleep aids & better than other OTC sleep aids since it is natural. But again, discuss your meds with your doc or preferably your pharmacist (who really knows more about meds than docs do), and ask if melatonin would be safe to add to your meds.

Let us know how it goes.

Shelia

Last edited:
Hi Rae,

You said 20mg? In liquid form? I've never seen that in our Walmart. And the tablets I take have no flavor.

About the valerian root, you do know it is actually a relaxant, not an actual sleep aid, although a relaxant is helpful for getting sleep.

But to everyone, don't assume it safe to take a "natural" substance. Many things interfere with our meds - even foods & "natural" supplements. Talk to your doc or pharmacist first.

Shelia

Nak's right

I DO take melatonin. And it is a blessing.

Without it, I don't reach Stage 4 sleep at all, (REM sleep where you actually rest, and dream) ever. I have a cyst in the gland that makes the melatonin in our bodies, as it is a naturally made hormone within our bodies.

I take 25 mg of melatonin now, having had to up it recently. I take a form of it that actually melts in your mouth, and the tablets are fairly sweet, tasting like a cross of grape and strawberry.

For someone that's been an insomniac since--well, I can't remember when to be truthful--the melatonin is more than a blessing. It's pure RELIEF. I actually look forward to going to sleep now, although sometimes I dread the dreams........

Yup, 20 mg. and it doesnt even turn me into a zombie, its just enough to make me fall asleep instead of toss and turn.

The liquid form is called....darn it has a green flower on it, and the bottle is hour glass shaped.

SleepRight

I've found that a tea made of passion fruit flowers works wonders for me. It's made by some natural foods tea company, but is sold in most grocery stores (sorry, I can't recall the name right now).

you can read about passion flower on wikipedia if you're interested.

Sbncmo is absolutely right. The very thing that is helping you (even when it is natural) is a chemical compound. So like any compound or medication, you should check with your doctor first to make sure there are no interactions with your current meds.

Hi Nakamova & Thanx for the heads up - my prob is that after any Sz I am so restless that even after falling quite deep asleep, I wake & stay that way - often from about 10 pm - 6am!- I'm absolutely wrecked next day but don't bother telling wife as I think she has enough probs with me post Sz - Suppose she could always nag me back to sleep - women are s'posed to be good @ that, aren't they?!! (ooops!)
Colx

Hi Hootie & thank U - I haven't been able to find anything about dosage & prefer the advice of my friends here rather than the med sites on Internet written by Docs - The insomnia + extreme headaches have even had me ask wife (Surgical Nurse Registrar) if she can lay her hands on any "gash" anaesthetic!
Headaches too are getting really bad after Sz - Any ideas; except lobotomy!
Regards
Col

Thanks Rae - & Chad - Never thought of Valerian B4 - will look into it too - I'm getting desperate for uninterrupted sleep - theory is sleep= no headaches= bliss - As for stink, it can't be any worse than the old Limburger (can it Meetz?!) -
Thanx again lovely!
Colx

Thanx for all your input Sheila - appreciate all your advice - as I say, I'd currently sell my soul to the Divil for just one uninterrupted nights sleep - it's not as if there's anything good on TV either!
Col.

Hiya Meetz & Thanx for all your advice - With me it seems to be the headaches after a Sz keep me awake rather than any inability to sleep - I suppose that's when I start getting in touch with you @ 2am!! (Thank heavens for Meetz!!)
Colx

To be honest Col,
I would rather take the cheese! It literally smells like newborn baby poop. Im sure you know that smell.... Its sour and terrible!!

...... And such a bugger to get out from under your finger nails, Rae!! - Colx

Thank you "DF" - and good to meet you - I'm gonna hit the Internet as soon as Im done here - & the health food shop tomorrow (if I'm not asleep?!!) - Thanks again - Stay in touch- Col.

Hi Col,

You're right - no sleep = headache. I have many nights when I can't sleep & I usually just lay in bed trying not to disturb my husband. He doesn't sleep if I'm not there & I don't want to make things more difficult for him as he is dealing with so much in me. And like you, if I don't get the sleep, I end up with the headache.

I know there are a lot of natural substances out there. Just check into the safety of them first. If you don't want to ask your doc, a pharmacist or herbalist can advise you. Just make sure they know ALL the meds you are taking and ALL your medical conditions first.

Hoping the best for you!

Shelia

Thanks for your wishes Sheila- I think I'm in the same boat as you - lying in bed in the wee hours trying not to disturb my wife & climbing into our daughter's top bunk as a last resort - will ask pharmacist as you advise - thanx & take care - Col.

Back
Top Bottom