Coping With Epilepsy Brian's Legacy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Melatonin as a way to prevent seizures in your sleep

Has anyone noticed Melatonin reducing their number of seizures in their sleep? I read in a book and online it can reduce the number of seizures someone has. I noticed once I started taking Melatonin, GABA, and Taurine right before bed the seizures I was having in my sleep completely stopped.
Add Post to del.icio.usNetscape this post!Stumble this Post!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator / Spaminator

Thanked 1,117 Times in 838 Posts
I just posted in another thread how melatonin had greatly increased the frequency of my seizures but they were much less intense but also much longer.

Did you start taking the melatonin, GABA and Taurine all at the same time? If so it might be just one or a combination of 2 of those supplements helping your seizures.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 PM

I'd read online some claims of Melatonin increasing seizures but most info said it reduced the number of seizures. Taurine and GABA and Melatonin are listed in a book on partial seizures as having "anti-seizure properties".
Old 01-27-2011, 02:48 AM

I was going to pursue this with my doctor on Monday, as my nocturnal seizures have started again, so will be interested in the responses to this thread.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator / Spaminator

Thanked 1,117 Times in 838 Posts
Originally Posted by forward2007 View Post:
Taurine and GABA and Melatonin are listed in a book on partial seizures as having "anti-seizure properties".
Do you mind if I ask who the author is?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator / Even Keel

Thanked 1,222 Times in 949 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Endless
I don't have a personal opinion. But here's some info from the web.

Quote :
One study showed that melatonin may reduce seizures in some children, while another found that the risk of seizures increased measurably with melatonin.
NIH

Quote :
MELATONIN *
Case reports of seizures made worse
University of Washington Regional Epilepsy Center

That last one is a good place to check out any alternative medicine for epilepsy.

Quote :
Epilepsy. There is some evidence that melatonin at bedtime may reduce the number and length of seizures in children with epilepsy. But melatonin should be used cautiously, because melatonin may increase the number of seizures in some people.
Medline

Quote :
In a small study of children with severe neurological disorders, melatonin was associated with increased and/or new onset of seizures. One patient experienced an increase in seizure activity within 13 days of melatonin initiation. Three other patients experienced new onset or increased seizure frequency. Once melatonin was discontinued, seizure activity returned to baseline levels. Upon rechallenging with low-dose melatonin, seizures reappeared with a subsequent disappearance upon discontinuation. 108 Thus, cautious use is warranted in children with severe neurological disorders.
Drugs.com

Quote :
It has been suggested that melatonin may lower seizure threshold and increase the risk of seizure, particularly in children with severe neurologic disorders. However, multiple other studies actually report reduced incidence of seizure with regular melatonin use. This remains an area of controversy. Patients with seizure disorder taking melatonin should be monitored closely by a healthcare professional.
Mayo Clinic

Sounds like the jury is still out on Melatonin. So who knows if it will help you or not? One thing I would do is call your neurologist and tell him you are going to start taking it. Then carefully log everything in your seizure journal. If you have even one more seizure than usual quit the melatonin.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by epileric View Post:
Do you mind if I ask who the author is?
Hi. The book is Partial Seizure Disprders by Mitzi Waltz. It talks about Melatonin as a sleep aid and says certain anti-epileptic drug's reduce someone's amount of naturally produced Melatonin. It says Taurine and GABA can supress seizures. As Endless said some studies have said Melatonin can reduce the # of seizures and others have said it can increase them. I have NEVER had more seizures because of taking melatonin.

Last edited by forward2007; 01-27-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator / Super Mom

Send a message via Yahoo to RobinN
Another conversation on the subject here:
Melatonin

Neurofeedback - Rebecca's Story

Robin's Challenge

Knowledge is power and knowledge shared is power multiplied.
-- Bob Noyce
Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator / Fantastico
Recent Blog: Kindness is

I am

one of those taking melatonin--but as a sleep aid because I have a cyst in the pineal gland. That's the gland that makes melatonin in the first place.

The reason I'm an insomniac is because of the lack of melatonin, due to the cyst. And what do we E patients need??

SLEEP!!!!!!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you did not do than by the things that you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain