Memory loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi all, im just after some advice, is it normal to have a bad memory even when you do same things all the time? and even forget what you done day before and even forget you have done something and not even realise you have done it? i get confused quite a lot. Is this all normal? any advice would be great. Thank you

I have had issues with my short term memory as well as forgetting what I am talking about when I start a conversation. Medication is usually the issue for this. You may want to check with your Dr just to make sure. I do get confused alot, but my family and I have learned to work thru it. -Jeff

I have talked to neuro and doc about it they both say it comes as part of epilepsy. its mainly like first thing on a morning like av sent a text n cant remember doing it. but i obv have if its there. I cant remember things i do all the time but no one believes me and its frustrating.

I can't remember . . .

Seriously, though, I have some huge gaps in my long-term memory, and also some random short-term memory issues. Long-term losses I don't know about until my wife or kids brings up something that I should remember, like when my son broke his arm, and I cannot remember even the slightese thing about it. It's like it never happened. As for short-term, it can be kind of embarrassing when someone brings something into my shop to get it fixed, then comes back later in the day and I don't recognize them or remember what I have done. I always write up a work order, and get the jobs done, and I have found subtle ways to find out which job is theirs, but lots of times the memories just aren't there. Kind of weird, but I'm used to it, I guess.

My memory has never been great but mines more short term aswell. I cant remember peoples faces or what happened last week. Its so frightning and frustrating especially when people dont understand.

My memory sucks and it bites me at work by staff constantly reminding me that I need to write things down which i forget to do as well. Sometimes I cry about it and sometimes I get angry about it. It's very frustrating and makes me feel like a knob.

Oh yes,memory issues are common with epilepsy.At least thats what my neurologist told me. He also suggested for me to take vitamin b12 and b-complex.In which I did start in fall 2012,after being on it for a few weeks I did notice a difference.Not a big difference,unfortunately but better than how my memory was before I was taking it. I guess according to a friend I would ask her the same question 3 times.

Thanks everyone, im always forgetting stuff things i do on a day to day basis, im always getting shouted at and told 2 write things down it upsets me too electra. how much of a difference does that b12 actually make godviacurl1990? i always ask the same question a few times too and again iget shouted at for it because i cant remember asking the question or been told the answer it sucks big time.

Memory Loss

Vitamin b12 helps me with my memory like with remembering peoples names,the date and what you planned that day.Example so far I already know 5 peoples names in my class(i know seems no big deal,but for me it is.Before I would continuosily ask what the persons name was,bec i forgot).As a college student it doesnt look too good when you forget what people had just said or who they are. Some instantly think your playing stupid,not paying attention or just dont care. Now after being on it I get a lot of comments from others that see me in school,family,and friends that Im more awake and alert than I was before. That's great to know!...
I guess before my brain was abnormal..Unfortunatly, vitamin b12 does not seem to work with remembering peoples birthdays or childhood memories(at least not for me). If you would like to try it,I would first consult your neuro incase it may interfeer with any of your meds. For me I take 1000mcg. :e:

Im ok with names etc, its just certain things like where im going etc, it dont happen every day. im managing it atm but its so frustrating, that vit b12 def works?

My memory is complete crap. I also have a tendency to speak faster than my brain can think so my words end up coming out jumbled and not making sense, misplacing words ("I get going gotta." I seriously said that last night at work when I was heading back in from break).

dances with pugs i havent had that prob yet. its tends to be the things i do all the time.

I can't remember . . .

Seriously, though, I have some huge gaps in my long-term memory, and also some random short-term memory issues. Long-term losses I don't know about until my wife or kids brings up something that I should remember, like when my son broke his arm, and I cannot remember even the slightese thing about it. It's like it never happened.

This, sadly, describes my life perfectly. I'd say 80% of my life is forgotten, and when people tell me stories I remember that it even happened about 10% of the time. People tell me stories about my life all of the time.. It's unnerving, and frustrating.

With short term memory, I've learned to not ask people's names again. And just play along. A lot. I'm definitely going to try b12. I'd love for my old memories back, but everyday stuff would be a really great start!

I have bad short term memory as well and meds might be part of mine too but it's also due to brain atrophy, (shrinkage of the frontal lobe) and it's due to multiple head injuries, sucks but I remember the major things most of the time.

Crazychick, I asked my epileptologist what was going on with me. My memory is not. He told me that "Teresa, you have had a lot of seizures. After a while your memory just doesn't work as well. But I know what you are talking about. I really have to write things down. This is a good time to have a bracelet because for me I can't even remember my meds.I keep a little tablet with phone# and a list of meds in my purse. I'm sorry. I'm going on. If you just feel like talking. PM me. Teresa

I want a bracelet but not sure where does them, is it actually the seizures that stop ur memory or is it the meds?

I have a terrible memory too... I can remember very random things very clearly, but then there are others I just can't... For example, I won't remember what someone's car looks like... This has actually led to a few embarassing moments with one of my friends of getting into the wrong vehicle (the lady in one of them was pretty freaked out wheN I stepped into her car), I suck with faces too... Or placing where I know someone. Also, if someone tells me something, I will forget it within minutes. It's embarassing to have to stand there and basically write every word someone says to me or I will have to go ask again what they said...

My short term memory loss came because I had brain surgery. I now rely on my twin sister for any and really all information, such as did I make lunch? 5-10 min after I had. Or why were the nieces and or nephews dropped off, after talking with their Mom a couple minutes earlier. Thank goodness that she's alright with my relying on her.

I also use a notepad app on my phone to keep info, like my meds, and dosage, along with random stuff like what my passwords and screen names for websites.

Back
Top Bottom