Memory loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Just wondering anyone else struggle with memory loss or confusion ill be discussing it on tuesday with neurologist its just been small things like ive forgotten my bank pin so i changed it but i forgotten it again well got numbers confused i forget how to spell words aswell i even took dog to shop and forgot about him and walked away poor thing:roflmao:
Its starting to worry me now.

Lots of folks with epilepsy have memory or other cognitive issues. They can be caused by both seizures and by anti-seizure meds. Let your neuro know, there may be an adjustment in your meds that could help.

I don't know if it's an option in Scotland, but a neurospych evaluation might be useful. The evaluation is a series of tests that measure short-term and longer-term memory encoding and recall, as well as related cognitive skills. The test results can indicate which areas of the brain are affected, and sometimes they can point to a particular cause. The neuropsychiatrist can recommend workarounds or techniques to improve memory. The results are a benchmark against which you can measure any future cognitive changes.

Thanks i see my neurologist on tuesday so will mention it to him pribably worrying over nothing.
All i know is my brain scan from 2015 when seizures started showed my full brain affected meaning i was born with epilepsy my mum had me at doctor when i started school as teacher was suspicious i was having absent seizures but was told i was a daydreamer and told my mum she was to stop worrying then in 2012 i startd having now what i know as myclonic jerks but i didnt do anything then in 2015 i had my first tonic clonic i was under a lot of stress then due to a relationship breakdown my friend who is now my amazing fiance stood by me through it all coming to all my appointments and who looks after me when im really ill with seizures.
My memory has always been clumsy but i had same bank pin for 4 years then i jst couldnt remember it i have my oin stored in my phone not brightest ideas but only way ill remeber it. Ill have look at links

Laurab1989

Unfortunately for some of this is an issue and can be a result of the medications (one of the side effects) it can be a question of what you are willing to give up to receive some sort of control. It has bothered us all, just like you and its trying to find ways around this that can be the challenge. But yes I have been just like you.

Yes i did stop completly taking my meds at 1 point not my best of ideas my partner called my nurse and told her and she told me i was not only silly but risking my life so i went back on them this was in 2016 ive always had tiredness so i became addicted to energy drinks drinking upto 4 cans a day my nurse explained they are dangerous and can make seizures worse ive swapped them over now i have a smoothie everyday.
My partner is really good making sure i write down all my appointments so i dont forget.
I love cooking so my partner has to check ive not left cooker on as ive done that in past aswell.

I have had memory loss a lot. It is really hard for me when I forget stuff because a lot of things people talk about from the past I can’t remember. I take lots of pictures now because I have kids and I’m scared I might forget them. I have had a problem with memory for the last 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good while back I got VERY stressed out about something and started having myclonic jerks left and right. They were so bad at times it almost looked like I was having a grand mal seizure. It took a few years for them to go away but they went away slowly. I'd have two or three jerks at a time every few hours then it went down to one then finally none.

Stress is something that almost always causes me to have seizures too.

My memory is horrible, long term and short term. I was looking at old photos recently and asked my mom who the guy in the picture was that I was standing with. She told me he was one of my old boy friends, who I do remember dating, but I had no clue what he looked like. After my first seizure I had no clue who the guy was that I was dating, I didn't even know I was dating him! My husband and I went to a concert last week and I asked him if we ever saw the band before. He told me we did a few years ago and I was so excited during it but I don't remember a thing about it.

I'll get confused about things very easy. I was having a problem with my refrigerator once and when I called the company for help with it I couldn't remember it was called a refrigerator. All I knew was that it was the big thing in the kitchen that you put food in to keep it cold.

Caffeine can be a HUGE seizure trigger, it is for me. I can have one or two sodas or cups of coffee at at time but I try to always drink things that are decaffeinated.

Yeah ive noticed things with my memory like firgetting places where im going aswell last time bus driver just looked at me like i were stupid. I take my dog everywhers as he makes me feel safe as he licks me until i come round he even senses when im due to have one.
On xmas eve i had to really bad jerks then 3 tonic clonics my oh gave me my moladazapan and i slept through xmas day i couldnt eat solids for 2 weeks due to tounge been so badly bitten then on 13th feb i went into town for oh valentines present jerks started got really scared so sat in local suoermarket as buses are every hour manager sat with me and put me on my bus but now when i get jerks its when im stressed tired or anxious i am really strict with my sleep pattern we go to bed at half past 9 and i watch 1 hour of tv then i turn it off and make sure i get 8 hours sleep aswell and i do not drink caffiene after 5pm aswell. I just forget things like appointments what im discussing during conversations or what im doing or conversations ive had with oh i tend to repeat things to him like 5 times i even forgot my dog outside shop once and forgot how to use my washing machine.

Back
Top Bottom