Micropsia Aura?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
For a while now I've been experiencing a strange aura I think? Basically just before I get a partial, I find that things seem far away. Odd I know. It's not the whole room but a specific object or person. Is this normal or am I just strange? I did a quick search and apparantly its called Micropsia? Anyone else experience this bizarreness?

This is a pretty common occurrence for Simple partial seizures.

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/simple-partial-seizures
Sensory seizures:

These cause changes in any one of the senses.

People with sensory seizures may smell or taste things that aren't there; hear clicking, ringing, or a person's voice when there is no actual sound; or feel a sensation of "pins and needles" or numbness.
Seizures may even be painful for some patients. They may feel as if they are floating or spinning in space.
They may have visual hallucinations, seeing things that aren't there (a spot of light, a scene with people). They also may experience illusions—distortions of true sensations. For instance, they may believe that a parked car is moving farther away, or that a person's voice is muffled when it's actually clear.

Sometimes this can be an indicator of parietal lobe seizures (or a seizure that has spread to the parietal lobe in cases where other seizure symptoms were present first). I got this from a discussion with my Dr - I have had sensations that one arm is multiple times it's real size, that my right foot is numb when really it isn't, or that my whole body is huge while everything else is small or normal size. Very difficult to explain what these sorts of symptoms are like. I hope you have a good Dr. who can understand like I do.

Oh wow, that all fits in. I've got an Arachnoid Cyst on my right parietal. I get the gist of your symptoms. It's really difficult to explain isn't it? Unfortunately my Neuro is elusive and not that good. I should be getting an emergency appointment soon so I'll tell him. Whether I'll get the proper care is another matter..

Do your doctors think the cyst is the cause of your seizures, or is that what you are waiting to find out? I sure hope you have options to switch to another neurologist/epileptologist if this one can't make some sense of things for you. Keep us posted as to how things go!

Oh wow, that all fits in. I've got an Arachnoid Cyst on my right parietal. I get the gist of your symptoms. It's really difficult to explain isn't it? Unfortunately my Neuro is elusive and not that good. I should be getting an emergency appointment soon so I'll tell him. Whether I'll get the proper care is another matter..

I also have damage to my right parietal from a stroke. I have had sensory partial seizures affecting the left side of my body since the day of the stroke.

Jen, the Doctors really don't know/don't want to commit themselves to a diagnosis. It's so difficult to get an appointment with a Neuro over here. You're literally waiting 6 months or more just to see them. If your condition worsens you don't automatically see them any quicker either. I hope you who live in the US don't use this Obamacare because in the future that's what it'll be like for you as well.

MAB, I'm sorry to hear you had a stroke. That must have been so frightening for you. I hope your mobility hasn't been affected? I've been in the stroke unit 3 times as my partials look like I'm having one. It was so scary.

Jen, the Doctors really don't know/don't want to commit themselves to a diagnosis. It's so difficult to get an appointment with a Neuro over here. You're literally waiting 6 months or more just to see them. If your condition worsens you don't automatically see them any quicker either. I hope you who live in the US don't use this Obamacare because in the future that's what it'll be like for you as well.

MAB, I'm sorry to hear you had a stroke. That must have been so frightening for you. I hope your mobility hasn't been affected? I've been in the stroke unit 3 times as my partials look like I'm having one. It was so scary.

The scariest thing about the stroke was trying to convince the paramedics that I was having a stroke and that I needed to go to the hospital. My mobility and speech are fine. The stroke was a sensory stroke, exactly like my seizures. The only way they knew I was having a stroke was because they did a CT scan. I have gone back to the hospital twice after the stroke because I felt like I was having more strokes. They were partial seizures caused by the stroke.

Thankfully I have private insurance through my employer. Very little wait time for tests or most doctor appointments. I have a neurosurgeon that operated on my back. If it isn't an emergency there is a 6 month wait to see him. He is one of the top 5 neurosurgeons in the US and treats patients from all over the world. I'm glad I still have private insurance because he doesn't take Obamacare. The neuroscience center where I had my surgery is getting ready to publish my surgery story in their publication. I just did a phone interview with them 2 weeks ago and signed the consent form for them to publish the story. If I'd had Obamacare I would have been dead by now.

I'm sorry about the state of your healthcare system. I hope an appointment opens up soon for you.

Back
Top Bottom