Mixing Medications

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sheri

New
Reaction score
Hello all.
I know that the best place to get my answer is from my doctor, but, that being said. Are there any over the counter medications that should not be taken with keppra?

I have a nasty cold and want to take some cold medicine and I just want to make sure it is okay.

The only thing I've ever heard was dealing with my Tegretol XR- I was not allowed to have Sudifed products or anything with a lot of caffine. But with Keppra, I've never heard of anything you can't have with it. I would ask a pharmasist and ask them- they know the componants to the meds and would know which not to add together if any.

Take care and feel better soon

good suggestion Crystal... that is also where I would begin. There is a website where you can put in the two meds to see if there is a conflict, but I would presume the pharmacist could look it up for you too.

In general, I would avoid any over-the counter meds that have alcohol, since alcohol and AEDs tend to enhance each other's sedative effects. And even if caffeine or ephedrine aren't specifically contraindicated with Keppra, they are potential seizure triggers that you might want to steer clear of.

I'd suggest staying away from anything that has alcohol or stimulant. Your best bet is probably the medicine designed for people with high blood pressure.

Drugs.com http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html has an interaction section where you can type in all of you medications, vitamins and supplements and see if anything doesnt mingle well. I know on Lamictal and Lamotrigine that you cant have acetaminaphin a (good thing I am allergic) and you cant have alot of cold and sinus meds either. Caffeine is bad too

Last edited by a moderator:
The site Rae mentioned is very good. It even helps with foods. Grapefruit is not good with many meds. Very easy to use. Just look for the interactions tab.

Back
Top Bottom