Mood/behavior disorder

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AnnaM

New
Reaction score
Anyone remember having this as a result of seizures, when young? toddler age...If so, was it something you were aware of? I believe my son has this problem...He has nocturnal seizures. There is also the strong possibility that he has a hypothalmic disorder which affects mood/behavior as well. Given his age, 3, it is so so so hard to know what is typical toddler behavior, and what is the mood/behavior issue connected with the illnesses he is dealing with. As a result, I have such guilt when I dicipline! Any help out there?

Anna

I would

suppose that this would depend on the type(s) of seizures that your son has.

I was only diagnosed with tonic clonic seizures when I was very young. Although, my mother had noticed absence seizures to start, but they disappeared once I was put on meds. The doctor triggered a t/c in his office (joy, joy).

Anyway, my t/c's were fairly infrequent, but one of the other members here, Dutchmom, would better be able to help you, I think. If she doesn't post soon, why don't you PM her? Her son has Lennox-Gestaut syndrome, but she should be able to help you more....

My son that does not have seizures used to have daily temper tantrums that would last 1-2 hours. Put him on a multivitamin/mineral plus extra zinc, magnesium, cod liver oil and enzymes...tantrums went away within 2-3 days.

He is on a multi now...I could try and add other things....I'm not so worried about the tantrums (crying..saying we are stupid) as much as what he says...Like he wants to put my head in the oven, or take my arms off, or send me to a planet where bugs will eat me...Inappropriate things that I have no idea how a child who is not even 4, could put together....

We have used many dicipline forms...None of his behavior is tolerated, as he is told. What seems to have been working (to define: lessing the behavior) for the past 3 days is taking away computer time...I just wonder how much of it he can control given the siezures (tonic-clonic absence frontal) ...I've read that hypothalmic disorders (still need to confirm if he has one. He has an appt Jan 6) can really mess with emotions, behavior, and mood as well...So, even if the seizures would not cause a mood/behavior issue unless he had just had one, if he has a hypothalmus disorder that would be something he would constantly be dealing with. Still have not been able to find any more in depth articles about this...so, kinda feel like I'm bumping around in the dark, wondering if I'm doing the right thing...

The most he has had has been a head cold...I believe he has had 3 in his life. This behavior tho, goes back more than a year...He was an earlier talker....Not as exteme as it is now, but the behavior was there..

ETA: The geneticist he had to see said that he is intelligent for his age. I'm hoping that his behavior is possibly related to that, rather than something that is out of his control? The lesser of the two evils I suppose.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom