Mozart / Classical Music

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
It is common knowledge that classical music has a pretty beneficial effect on patients suffering from epilepsy, depression, insomnia. A new study helped Brazilian researchers to come to the conclusion that Mozart’s music sharpened the peripheral vision of glaucoma sufferers, while it significantly improved neurological disorders. According to Greek researchers, the secret of Mozart’s music lies with his "antistress" sonatas.
Music Therapy

Common knowledge? I think I've seen one discussion amongst the various epilepsy forums on the topic in the last year or two that I've been hanging around. Does anyone know of any other studies on the effect of Mozart / classical music on epilepsy?

Zoë is one of this forum's first members, though I don't think she visits very often. She published this info:
A recent study indicates music can reduce seizure activity in the brain. While their brain wave activity was monitored, Mozart's Sonata for Two Pianos (K.448) was played to 29 people with seizures, some actually comatose. Twenty-three of the 29 showed a "significant" reduction in seizure activity in response to the music.

Prescription: MOZART

Definitely NOT common knowledge!

Most definitely NOT common knowledge! Few people have heard of the Mozart connection, or Yanni(yes, Yanni's been suggested), white noise, and others. I would encourage everyone to at least try new/different music as ANOTHER alternative treatment to epilepsy treatment(it's not listed as a possible by the way on this site)...I am living proof it can turn an epileptic around both before AND after seizures. Find something that in some unexplicable way makes you feel better! Keep it around for an emergency. While I can't say it's a CURE, or even that I've nailed down specific tunes or passages yet, I have experienced 180 turn-arounds that I've only been able to link to music I was either playing physically or listening to at the time. The reason I say I can't nail down specific tunes or passages is because(as the neuroscientific research I've found so far seems to agree with) music and other auditory stimuli appear to work IN TANDEM with many other things. The incredibly interesting research goes on!
One final thought though...I can't say it enough...if you don't feel right listening to something---stop listening to it........it goes both ways!
Peace!

One final thought though...I can't say it enough...if you don't feel right listening to something---stop listening to it........it goes both ways!
Peace!

This is very true! Boosted base, sitting too close to sub-woofers and some rap music can adversely affect me.
Now I enjoy classical, especially Mozart

Bernard, I am an avid classical music fan (in the minority, I am sure) but I have found that Mozart is especially helpful when relieving the day to day stress of living with epilepsy. I look for anything which will help, no matter how small. I had my first seizure at 7 years old and am still not seizure free at 57 years. I DO agree with Birdbomb, if it doesn't feel right - find something else. But DO find something which does relieve stress...it does wonders

Hi speber & Shadow, welcome to the forum. :hello:

When I was young, classical music was the only thing my parents listened to. I remember listening to it and thinking at times where a piece had the wrong notes (or didn't flow correctly or the way I expected it to). Alas, I lost that inner voice about the music a long time ago.

Music definitely has the power to affect moods. It's not surprising that it could affect concentration and/or neurologic functioning.

I know that music is extremely beneficial for lots of conditions. My oldest son, who is now 12, has very mild Asberger's Syndrome. He went through a an auditory type of therapy and is MUCH better today. :)

I also teach music to children (Preschool-5th grade). I have witnessed first hand the power music has to calm and/or excite them.

I would love to see more people try healing through music.

Blessed

That's awesome! Music\audio hold more than many know...and just like so many other good alternatives to AED's and surgery---->the world needs to hear about it!
:brock:

Isn't it awesome to see how children respond to music? They're so uncensored.
Before I overcame my seizures, I found classical Spanish guitar to be very soothing to my nervous system too. Not everyone responds to music the same way, so it's good to listen to a lot of different types of music and choose whatever works on an individual basis.

Isn't it awesome to see how children respond to music? They're so uncensored.
Before I overcame my seizures, I found classical Spanish guitar to be very soothing to my nervous system too. Not everyone responds to music the same way, so it's good to listen to a lot of different types of music and choose whatever works on an individual basis.

Gosh... and I was going to suggest to Rebecca's school they might try it over the speakers to the classrooms. Her math teacher puts Mozart on. I sent her the therapy link and thanked her.

Spanish guitar is unbelievably warm and mellow for a plucked string instrument. Generally, I believe it's due to the 'finger-picking' as opposed to hard plastic picks and the like hitting the strings and causing high frequency string noise.

It is VERY good stuff.....except that Esteban cat....too much attitude there for me...gimme the audio only!
;)

I love Spanish guitar. Have you heard Oscar Lopez's work? Good stuff.

No, where can I find it? I'd love to hear it. My favorite for years have been Segovia and Julian Bream.

Oscar Lopez

I have the Heat and Seduction albums. I haven't bought any music in a while, but I intend to get the Armando's Fire album next time I go shopping for music.

Bernard, is there a particular 'track' that stands out? I would like to post it in the 'music\auditory stimuli' thread I got going. You and Zoe's conversation highlights EXACTLY what I'm trying to find out!
:)

I've never gotten into Spanish Guitar, but after reading the recent posts, I'll be sure to add it to my ever-growing collection. Are there any other 'soothing sounds' that work for anyone else? I'm open to all opinions here. Thanks all!

I like just about every track on the Heat album. Unfortunately, the Flight of the Flamingos track he posted on his MySpace site is one of the weaker tracks on the album IMO (you can safely skip the first 2 minutes of that song and you will like it better).

Try listening to The Flavor from his Seduction album (it's also on the MySpace page). It's excellent.

For more than thirty years, Tony Scott's "Music for Zen Meditation" was one of the best for soothing my psyche. This and Paul Horn's "Inside Taj Mahal have been running themes throughout my adult life. What seems to be happening while listening to music is we reflexively let it carry us along. As we follow the patterns of the music we are hearing, our respiration and brain activity follow. Some others that bring not only calm, but a quiet ecstacy are Carlos Nakai's Native American Flute. I'm in New Mexico now, but when in Oregon listening to his "Canyon Trilogy" I could physically see the Southwest. Two of his other recordings, "Earth Spirit" and "Ancestral Voices" also become liet motifs for calming down a stressed out psyche. Even if I'm not at home, I can call up the memories of this music and it will calm my heart and soul.
Julian Bream's "Music of Spain" is my favorite of the Spanish Classical guitar. He plays the music of Albeniz, which to me is some of the most sensual music ever written. It eovokes pictures in the mind of warm sunny places.
I haven't checked on more recent research on music therapy, but will do so. I'll post some others later.

Hi Everyone, Shadow, welcome to CWE.

I love Mozart and all classical music. I also love soft melody music and soft rock from the 1950's. I have a TV station that plays all good music for my epilepsy. There is no picture, just the music. It calms the savage beast in me.

Back
Top Bottom