MRI results are in...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jemsister

New
Reaction score
Everything looks normal with no weird spots or anything. They didn't say anything about the asymmetry that the original neurologist diagnosed back in 1998, so I'm not sure if that means it is asymmetric, or if the original guy was wrong?

Anyway, the only thing they mentioned that was mildly concerning (they want to follow up on it, but after the VEEG) is that I have an enlarged pituitary gland. Any insight on that one? Google isn't giving up much info on it, other than that it can effect hormone production. If it were a tumor, it would more than likely have been picked up on the MRI, right?

For a while now I have wondered if I have hyperactive thyroid, since I have many of the symptoms. With this pit gland thing, now I am wondering if there is a link to my symptoms there.

Great that you had a clean MRI. The enlarged pituitary could definitely be a sign of a thyroid disorder (which could play at least an indirect role as a seizure trigger). Have you been referred to an endocrinologist?

I haven't yet, we only spoke over the phone. But the nurse said it required followup, and she said that we would set it up when I went in for the VEEG.

My grandma had problems with her thyroid (not sure what exactly). She was super tiny and rail thin, like me, and I look just like her. Makes me wonder.

My grandma had problems with her thyroid (not sure what exactly). She was super tiny and rail thin, like me, and I look just like her. Makes me wonder.
Hi Josie,
There is an oveactive & underactive, I can never remember which is which but I know one makes it hard to put on weight & the other makes it hard to lose weight.

My Mum & her step dad both have thyroid problems. My Mum is overweight & has the thyroid problem where she has trouble losing weight. Her step dad is the opposite as he is really thin & like a stick.

I think I could have the overactive version. I have tons of symptoms--underweight and unable to gain, nervousness/anxiety, fatigue, excessive sweating, bathroom issues, heart palpitations... Obviously doesn't mean that's what it is, but with this pit gland thing, I feel like it's just one more thing that points to the possibility.

pituitary gland runs (and some) the thyroid and your thyroid sounds defo - oveactive. could be pituitary not sending out the right signals to your thyroid....this is not uncommon..

I have no thyroid, was fully removed due to the big C. recovered perfect from that one -been on hormones since and all well..was 24 and now 48....

you will be in the prayers..

I found out my family history--my grandma *did* have a hyperactive thyroid, as I suspected. I take after her in every way physically, so now I am really thinking that points to the possibility of me having a hyperactive thyroid too. They had hers destroyed with radiation and then put her on hormones. Kinda makes me wonder if she had an issue with the pituitary that they didn't know about. I mean that was 25-30 years ago!

Hey! Equally confused by my MRI results. Not happy you're in the same boat, but nice to find someone to share this odd experience with. This was the last thing I was expecting, really.

I have the opposite issue. I've been on daily medication for 10 years (since I was 17) for underactive (hypOthyroidism). Still couldn't get back to pre-thyroid issue weight to save my life, and this week found out also that my pituitary gland is enlarged. I fished for info from my family doctor, so got bare minimum info, but am fairly certain he said adenoma unfortunately.

In my research though I did see that it sounds like there are several different things this can do and there's little groupings of side effects that are all lumped together depending on which hormones are affected (I haven't been a member long enough to send you a link, sorry!), one of them being that it can mimic thyroid issues. So not that you necessarily have an over active thyroid, (or that you don't!) but that it's not regulating your hormones. So I guess, for you, if this is the issue then hopefully if they can regulate the hormones and maybe issues should become less troublesome!

I'm hoping the same for me, I've been confused for a few years as to why if my thyroid levels were technically right I was still experiencing many of the symptoms of underactive thyroid.

Keep me in the loop with your progress. I've had my EEG already, just waiting for my neurologist to get back from vacation and have my apt. on Monday morning. I'll check back with any more info that may be helpful for you! Good luck!!

"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." --Matthew 6:34
:agree:

I just wanted to give you my thumbs up.

That's interesting about the pituitary gland cause I have an under active thyroid and no one has ever mentioned the pituitary gland to me. I had an MRI but to see if they could find out why I had a seizure and found the bleed. Will have to ask the Neurologist about it when I see him for the seizure thing in June, April appointment is for my vibrating foot. I like to keep them separate to avoid confusion.

Back
Top Bottom