Msg As A Trigger....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
MSG AS A TRIGGER....

Hi everyone,

I'm a Chinese Food addict, and even though I always request no MSG with my food, I suspect that sometimes it is added anyway. Does anybody have problems with MSG?

Ron

I believe it is a trigger for my daughter.
There are many other names for similar free glutamates. Have you seen the thread on Excitotoxins? It is long but if you skim it you can find a lot of great info.

Recently I have been eliminating anything and everything that could possibly be "MSG", and her seizures have been reduced. It would do you a lot of good to really research this, read Excitotoxins: a taste that kills and inform yourself with what Dr Blaylock has researched.

Here is the CWE link to Excitotoxins:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f26/exitotoxins-coping-670/

I don't have epilepsy, and I have avoided eating MSG for decades, but once in a while, I do eat some food with MSG (not on purpose) and I can feel it affecting me - accelerated heart rate, feeling hot, etc.

I get a similar strong reaction from caffeine which I also avoid as much as possible.

I have never heard of this.. But I don't know many seizure triggers, since I'm so new to having seizures.

MSG gives me horrific migraines. I stay away from it. A neurologist 10 years ago told me that if it was up to him he would have the FDA ban MSG because alot of his neurological patients had serious reactions to the MSG.:e:

It is hard to find these ingredients because they are hidden in new and yummy sounding names on the label of foods. I think at the last count there were about 40 different names for these chemicals.

I can't eat MSG because of the impact it has on my migraines. I asked a chinese restaurant I frequent if they use and they told that, while they don't add it directly to their food, it is already in some of the prepared sauces they use. So, even a "no" answer might not be accurate.

Umm... Could someone educate an omadhaun (eejit) and tell me what MSG's are please? Is it E-numbers and stuff like that?

MSG AS A TRIGGER....

Hi everyone,

I'm a Chinese Food addict, and even though I always request no MSG with my food, I suspect that sometimes it is added anyway. Does anybody have problems with MSG?

Ron

Ron,
My two biggest triggers for seizures are MSG and anything containing any amount of soy in any form. MSG is made from soy so they are related. Soy products are very high in glutamate which is an excitotoxin for the brain.

Soy is unfortunately found everywhere; I was amazed to find soybean broth in canned tuna! LOL MSG is used in restaurants as a preservative for cut lettuce; essentially you're not even safe ordering a salad. And it's true, MSG is used as a flavor-enhancer in a lot of different ethnic foods, not just Chinese. Those sauces that they put on the foods probably have MSG or soy. Salad dressings that you buy at the store or get in the restaurant are made with soybean oil. Mexican food frequently uses MSG to enhance flavor; anything prepackaged(soup mixes, that kind of thing)runs a good chance of having MSG. Anything that says low fat, low carb probably has MSG; you take out everything that gives food flavor and you have to put something in to make it palatable.

Obviously I seldom eat out and almost never buy processed food. And did I mention that there is a growth enhancer used by the commercial farmers called Auxigro that is made of MSG? If the fresh fruits and vegetables look too big to be normal, I suspect Auxigro has been used. Those beautiful, huge strawberries everyone loves to dip in chocolate? Give me a seizure everytime.

Read RobinN's link she provided and google MSG. It's a real eye opener.

MSG stands for monosodium glutamate and, like Molly said, is used in many ethnic cuisines, broths, soups, etc. as a flavor enhancer. It does masquerade as other things on the label so it's hard to tell if it's really there. It is the devil.

new studies with MSG

i recently heard slow cooking foods like in crockpots and such releases the MSG in meats etc. So yea, we find out new things everyday just like cancer. i don't eat much anyways so whatever.:paperbag:

i recently heard slow cooking foods like in crockpots and such releases the MSG in meats etc. So yea, we find out new things everyday just like cancer. i don't eat much anyways so whatever.:paperbag:

I don't know about releasing the MSG in meats, but I have heard that grilling meats at very high temperatures releases some carcinogens. And, I've also heard that the longer food cooks, the more nutrients are degraded. I eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables to get the maximum nutritional value. Also regarding beef, beef is very high in glutamate which triggers seizures for a lot of people. I know for myself, I can eat 6oz steak or a quarter pound amount of hamburger meat and have no problem. Go over that amount and it's seizure city for me! Have to watch the amount of pot roast I eat as well.

This goes back to what Meetz was saying in the other thread. Keep a seizure diary and figure out what your triggers are. I only started doing that May 2008 and it's been a Godsend for me.

I learned that much of our poultry is sprayed and soaked in an MSG "marinade".
We certainly learn something new everyday, however.... everyday they are learning new ways to "mess" with our foods.

I suggest that you learn to stick with organic if you can, and the freshest food possible. Stay away from prepackaged products, and factory made items. Shop the outside aisles of your grocery store. Find new ways to get protein into your meal plans, don't rely only on animal protein. Your body has a difficult time processing animal protein and much of it is feed grains that are allergy producers.

I learned much of what I know from www.dogtorj.com
He is a wealth of knowledge.

I had the longest seizure in my history with E almost 3 weeks ago. I'm now at 600 mg x3 daily for Neurontin (Morontin) (1,800 mg total)lol.

The night I seized I ate at a Chinese restaurant. I had a lot of soy. I stumbled upon this thread and began quizzing my Neuro about MSG. He said "I agree about MSG and your seizures." And the education process has begun for me.

I cleaned my cupboards and began immediately seeking local organic farmers for true organic food. I was so scared that I didn't trust anything with a label. I am glad that I trusted my instinct.

I won't even go to a store. I now buy bread, sausage, milk, garlic, butter, eggs, meat, veggies, from local farmers. Nothing is store bought.

I now have stocked up with only organic local food. I have to do some hunting to see who has what I am looking for but it is worth the travel. I also enjoyed having a good conversation and no check out isles! It is kind of like Little House on the Prairie. lol

The local farmers kept telling me that "People don't know where there food comes from or what they are eating."

Some made religious statements "That God didn't intend for man to poison his food to make it look, last, or taste better."

Now 3 weeks later I haven't experienced a seizure, much less an aura!

I find it difficult to ride (can't drive yet) past McDonald's or Burger King and resist the temptation for that discount burger that probably would kill me.

Things were getting so bad for me that my Neuro and Family doctor were requesting a personal aide for bathing and cooking due to my numerous complex partials during the day. I burned myself pretty bad, and I looked like I had played some rugby. I live alone with 2 SAD's.

MY SAD's haven't had to work very hard also in the last few weeks!

MSG to me I have now learned is deadly! I would advise all with E to refrain from this toxin!!!!!

Thanks Mr. B., Meetz and Robin!

Not only does MSG bother me but also anything with ARTIFICIAL sweeteners in it.

Thanks all for all the great links :e:

Aspartame, saccharine and all the other evils out there ALWAYS bring on my seizures. I cut out all artificial sweeteners from mine and my daughter's diet and our seizures reduced by over 50%. and on the MSG...my middle child was diagnosed SEVERELY gluten intolerant about 3 months ago, so the whole family no longer eats anything with gluten or MSG, and guess what...even more of a reduction in my seizures at least! For someone who 6 years ago cooked everything in a microwave, I now cook EVERYTHING from scratch, and we are so much better because of it!

This is incredible news. Lets hope with time, that you are seizure free.
Since gluten stays in the system for up to 8 months, I should think you just might see continued improvement

Last edited:
Today I was with friend cutting firwood. My friends do not have E. There were fresh veggies that I brought with me to go with lunch. I also had a can of bug dope Deep Woods OFF!

My friends didn't understand the whole MSG thing and other things such as pesticides.

I sprayed a cucumber with OFF and washed it. I placed the cucumber on the table...letting them know what I did of course... and NO ONE would touch it and I begged them to try it. It is just like store purchased food.

They now understand what I was saying about MSG and what I know about petroleum based pesticides.

They now want to learn more.

Back
Top Bottom