Muscle spasms?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So does any one experience constant muscle spasms even when not in seizure. I have been referred to a neurologist for a few episodes of balance problems and now constant muscle spasms in my calves. He thinks because my main problem is fatigue that my childhood epilepsy is back. Comments?

Are the muscle spasms painful? Can you control them at all?

It is difficult to say, but it sounds a bit like dystonia which can cause both painful and nonpainful muscle spasms. Dystonia typically is caused by a problem in the basal ganglia - do you know where your seizure focus was when you were a child? Both dystonia and epilepsy are neurologically based and many childhood epilepsies are related to a syndrome of some kind even if not identified as such at the time. Some dystonias are associated with ataxia, which can cause balance problems. Dystonia (with or without ataxia) and epilepsy rarely co-exist but they can, and do in my case. For me it took about 4 years to put all this together, and I had a very dedicated neurologist willing to put in the time to put together all the pieces of the puzzle and it was by no means the first neurologist I went to that was willing to do this!

I sometimes get muscle spasms in my calves the day or two after a seizure. I find that an application of transdermal magnesium oil helps a lot.

Do yours feel like an after effect of a seizure or a separate event?

Lol, AlohaBird I have not knowingly had a seizure in 41 years, since I was 12. I don't really remember muscular pain afterwards. That is what makes this so unbelievable! My fatigue has been an ongoing problem since 2002. The Neurologist says he has seen a patient before whose only symptom was fatigue and it was due to seizures. So he suspects the same with me. I'm not sure why I would be experiencing the constant muscle spasms or the periods of leg weakness and balance problems... Can't seem to find anything to tie it all together. Unless untreated seizures can cause these things?

masterjen, I looked into Dystonia and it doesn't sound the same except maybe in the early stages. I guess time will tell. I believe my Neuro will seriously look into this and piece together the puzzle for me too!!

Not too sure about focus of seizures as I was so young. The terminology has really changed. I do know that I had 2 Grand Mals, and had many Petit Mals. I didn't realize the Petit Mals referred to absence seizures but Mom confirmed I used to have them in front of the TV... I didn't know. I also had other seizures that were localized to the side of my face and I did not lose consciousness. Not sure what that would be classified as.

Thank you both for responding. Its really nice to hear from others.

Last edited:
Hi. Just want to add a couple of other possibilities. You could be low in calcium and magnesium. Also, some AEDs (phenobarbital) can cause muscle issues. And in a different arena if you are taking statins to lower cholesterol they could be causing some muscle spasms. Take care.. Maryk

Hi MaryK, All vitamin levels have been checked out and are ok. B12, magnesium, etc...
Its very confusing to say the least!

The up coming Sleep deprived EEG and MRI will hopefully clear a few things up. Hard to wait though.

Blood serum tests are the easiest and cheapest to administer, but they don't reflect total body content. Only 1% of total body magnesium is present in the blood serum. If only your blood was tested, you could still have a magnesium deficiency. [More accurate tests are the 24-hour urine test (which can measure clearance and retention rate) and isotopic analysis.]

So... while I hope the EEG/MRI tests are helpful, it's still possible something is going on at the nutrient level that is contributing to the spasms.

Keep us posted...

Has anybody mentioned dehydration? Or an electrolyte imbalance? Sometimes these can cause muscle spasms. And some of the AEDs can cause electrolyte imbalances.

Has anybody mentioned dehydration? Or an electrolyte imbalance? Sometimes these can cause muscle spasms. And some of the AEDs can cause electrolyte imbalances.
Good point. I've been having some good results lately with drinking coconut water. Helps with the hydration plus electrolytes. Like nature's Gatorade only without all the nasty fake chemical additives.

I over-hydrate to the point of dehydration. I wash all the sodium out of my body. When I start to cramp I have to add 1/2 of pink salt to a drink and it almost immediately relieves the cramps.

Hey Allshookup,

In another thread i think you mentioned that you were on Gabapentin? I think this might be a side effect from it. I never had calve muscle spasm, but since i've been on Gabapentin i've had them. It happened like once ever 3 to 4 weeks, when i started on Gabapentin then it died down to once ever 3 months and now it doesn't happen.

:piano: :pop:

Hi Zolt, no I'm not yet on Gabapentin, it is a possibility soon though.

Just had my sleep deprived EEG and waiting for the MRI appointment to be made. I have waited so long for a diagnosis, I can barely contain myself.

I am so hoping these tests give a definitive answer, but I still can't see a connection between epilepsy and muscle spasms.

Hi Allshookup
I have recently been diagnoised with what they beleive are focal seizures with retained awareness / or simple partial seizures. I've only just started on epilim, feeling a little like a guinea pig. I also suffer from muscle spazms/or contractions both in my stomach and calves mostly. I have other consistent symptoms which l wonder if they are epilepsy related, l'm only just starting to understand how many different kinds of seizures and symptoms there are tho....
I wonder if there are any threads or opinions on symptoms that might not be generally associated with epilepsy. I can see where a lot of my symptoms fit in, but some l'm not sure about and just wonder... I guess time will tell with this medication....
I'll be interested to see what other info comes up on this thread, and would love to hear how you go with your diagnosis - all the best Stace

Last edited:
Every time I see my neurologist she tries to push Gabapentin on me. I took it for a short while in pain management for nerve pain. I will NEVER take it again. It made me a mean zombie. I would go some where and completely wonder how I got there. I couldn't remember if I drove or if someone else drove me places. Lamictial has already messed up my memory enough.

It won't help your fatigue. I would take it at night, I will admit it is the best sleeping pill I ever took. Maybe if I would have stayed on it for a while it would have gotten better. I never managed to get through the starter dose.

I did take it after surgery for a coupe months because I wasn't allowed out of bed without my back brace and I felt bad about waking my husband every night to put the brace on me so I could walk to the bathroom.

Most of my symptoms, especially the fatigue seem to be more related to MS than epilepsy... That's why it was such a shock to hear the idea of my symptoms being seizure related!

I was slightly elated by the thought that a simple medication might actually be all that was necessary to end the mystery illness I have been suffering with for so long! I have since read about people's struggles with seizure control and realize it may not be so simple!! I will continue to post about this and I too hope to hear others' ideas and personal experiences relating to muscle spasms!!

A point of distinction learned from the MS chat groups, spasms refer to a clenching of the muscle, a long term, contraction. Apparently very painful.
I'm using the term spasm very loosely as my muscles are contracting and releasing constantly, in a rhythmic or non rhythmic way. I believe this is referred to as muscle twitches or fasciculations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom