My boyfriend and I think I had a seizure last night? Scared and looking for answers.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BBRittz

New
Reaction score
Hello there!
I hope my coming to this forum for answers isn't inappropriate. I'm not epileptic, that I'm aware of. I have had a few seizures in my life, however. Here's a bit of back story: When I was very young, (Newborn to about five or six years of age,) I had seizures if I hit the back of my head. My parents were very neglectful and never had it checked out, in fear that I would have to have expensive tests run. My high school years were less than functional, and at the age of 16 I started popping handfuls of sleeping medication on a daily basis. I had a seizure on my bedroom floor, or so my mother tells me, and I can never forget how awful it felt.

Shortly after I became pregnant with my first child, who I had at age 17. I've been turning my life around, raising a beautiful daughter and in the process of becoming a firefighter. I am now 19, and living with my wonderful boyfriend, who is a paramedic. We are very happily expecting another baby, who is due in March.

Last night, I was woken up by the normal discomforts of pregnancy, and lay awake for about fifteen minutes before I was comfortable enough to fall back asleep. When I was drifting off to sleep, I started feeling very strange. It was like electrical currents running through my brain, with the occasional "zap." I jolted awake and turned over, immediately starting to fall asleep again. The same thing happened, but I was so tired I thought nothing of it.

Then, the scary part. Once again, I was falling asleep. This time I was almost there. I started dreaming, very vividly of being in a doctor's office, just describing my patient history to him. My dream became very bright, and choppy. Everything started looking like still photos, one right after the other, like a poorly done stop motion. The electricity running through my brain was very intense now, and the next thing I knew I was lying awake on my bed, somewhat aware and conscious, but I couldn't not move or control my body. I was not convulsing, that I was aware of. Internally I was going nuts, I became SO scared, laying there unable to control my body. I kept trying and trying to reach for my boyfriend, who was asleep next to me. I then realized I hadn't been breathing. All at once, involuntarily, with another one of those "zaps," I was gasping for breath and my left hand was grabbing for him. The rest of my body came back to me quickly after that, and I sat up. My heart was racing and I was breathing quickly (not hyperventilating). I felt extremely sad and scared, and wanted to cry. My body felt weak, and everything still had a strange brightness to it. I could still feel that electrical current buzzing dully through my brain.

My boyfriend was well awake by this time, and checked my vitals and ran to get me some ice water. I remember everything tasted like copper. He said it sounded like I had had a seizure, but we were both a bit confused because there were no convulsions. I was scared to try to fall back asleep after that, afraid I would have that terrible feeling again, but after awhile of calming down I was able to fall asleep holding his hand, in hopes that if it happened again, I could squeeze his hand and have him try to "snap me out of it."

I'm sorry it's so long, but does what happened to me sound like a seizure? My boyfriend and I are very scared, because seizures in pregnancy usually mean enclampsia.

Thank you so much for your time, I'm very scared and hope to find some answers here.

Hi BBRittz,

Sorry to hear of your restless night, but I do think it could be CP seizures, so please go have it checked out ASAP since you are pregnant and have had seizures in the past. One can have seizures, SP or CP without convulsing, and not be able to speak or control body. And to have that awful taste in your mouth is another clue to a seizure. Often times after seizures many people do experience that strange taste, also.

More info go to:

https://www.epilepsy.com/EPILEPSY/seizure_simplepartial
https://www.epilepsy.com/EPILEPSY/seizure_complexpartial

Hi BBRittz,

I/m glad you found this forum.

Congratulations on the news of your baby.

I'm hate to hear of what you are going through, and just like Clint said before me, you need to get to a Neur. for yourself and for your baby.

I have the type of seizures that Clint spoke of and I do not have the convulsions that some people think of when they think of Epilepsy.

Be sure to tell your OB/GYN when you go in for your next appt.

Call your OB.

Being PG and having possible seizures is not something to dork with. I have lost one baby from having seizures while PG and that is something you don't want to deal with especially this close to term.

Please keep us posted and take care of yourself.

(((HUGS)))

Thank you everyone for your replies and support! I'm a bit finicky about doctors...I've led a holistic lifestyle for years now, and western medicine scares me more than anything. I'll look into natural ways I can try to prevent it from happening again, and let my midwife know what's going on. I have a holistic practitioner I'll go see once I have the funds to do so.

As scary as it is, it's almost reassuring to know that my fears of it being a seizure are valid. I tried asking this question on Yahoo Answers (big mistake) and just got called an idiot and a bad parent for not rushing to the hospital.

Thanks again for all the lovely support!

Hi BBRittz,

I second and third what folks have said above. Talk to your OB GYN asap.

A bit of info: Seizures don't necessarily involve convulsions, (in fact the majority of seizure disorders don't feature convulsions). If you've had more than one seizure, then technically you do have epilepsy, though perhaps very mild. The prior seizures suggest that you have a "low seizure threshold" and are more vulnerable to seizure triggers than the average individual. Things that stress the system (like fatigue, or stress, or the flood of hormones that accompany pregnancy) can push you over the edge.

I hope you feel better, and can get some answers and relief.

Best,
Nakamova

Actually what you ddescribed sounds like sleep paralysis. So mybe get that checked out. I would go to the doctor anyway for safety of the baby.

Get your mother to explain the types of seizures you had growing up. Are you certain the were seizures or were they a reaction to pain from hitting your head?

Either way you need to go to a doctor and have an eeg and mri to make sure your fine. I'm not sure you can be a fire fighter with seizures

This sounds more like sleep paralysis (I get that on a near daily basis, so I'm used to it by now). The strange taste sounds more like seizures, though, so it would be a good idea to get it checked out.

For the seizures you report as your history, have you consulted a doctor to determine whether it was seizures or syncope (fainting)? I have a history of fainting and seizures, and people (especially school personnel) were always mixing these up. I faint when getting a needle inserted into my vein, or when I'm on my period. The first time I remember fainting I was about five, and my dad was rubbing a temporary tatto off my arm (I'd left it on too long) with a warm washcloth, and it was very painful because I am hypersensitive to touch. So my legs went stiff, the eyes rolled back in my head, and I fell forward, stiff as a board and pale as a ghost.

Now, a seizure can look like that too (except not getting pale, AFAIK, and after fainting awareness is regained pretty close to immediately, whereas epileptic convulsions tend to leave the person with confusion for a little while after the fact), but the thing is that someone who faints can convulse after the fact. So the convulsions stem not from abnormal electrical activity in the brain, but from the lack of oxygen getting to the brain and the low blood pressure from fainting, and these convulsions are not epilepsy. Nowadays, when I faint, you can bet I'm going to convulse for about a minute. Last time it happened when they drew some blood, although I was lying down I convulsed, and when I came to and started to hear what sounded like static superimposed on a busy lobby, vision returning, my arm was stuck in the air, fist clenched. I said I'd fainted once I regained the ability to speak, and the nurse said I'd had a seizure. It was kind of both. My mom has no history of epilepsy, but has a history of fainting a lot (but not nearly as much I do).

My seizures are typically pretty mild and occur at night, so I actually dread fainting more than my epilepsy, since those convulsions are more severe (and dangerous drops in blood pressure are par for the course with my fainting). I really feel for people who have to deal with that kind of thing all the time, and hope even better interventions for epilepsy will be forthcoming.

Last edited:
It was like electrical currents running through my brain, with the occasional "zap."

I'm not saying it wasn't a seizure - with the funny taste, I'd definitely see a neurologist - but are you sure it wasn't a 'snap'?

http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=15&month=11&year=2011

SNAP! ERUPTING FILAMENT: For the past few days, astronomers around the world have been monitoring a dark filament of magnetism sprawled more than 1,000,000 kilometers across the face of the sun. Make that 750,000 km. On Nov. 14th the filament snapped and flung a fraction of itself into space.

Back
Top Bottom