My epilepsy story (For School)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

danjor

Playing With Angels
Reaction score
We had to do an autobiography, experience type thing for english. And im not usually too open about my E. Even though EVERYONE at school has seen me have a seizure (or 3 haha) so I decided to mine on when I found out I had epilepsy. So here it is if you want to read it :)

I was in class, and knew that I had felt strange. Something wasn't right. I was feeling lightheaded and my body was almost overheating. I went to my teacher to ask for a hall pass to go get some water and thats all I remember. Next thing I know I woke up, only to find myself on the ground, surrounded by paramedics working on me, a crying teacher, and school administrators. My neck and back hurt so bad. They put me on a stretcher and brought me to the hospital.
When I got to the hospital, I waited for a while. The ER doctor told me that I had had a seizure, but they didn't know why. Everything came back normal. They sent me home, saying I was simply sick. So in a few days I returned to school, like nothing had happened.
A few weeks later I was sitting in 5th hour. We were taking a pre test. I remember feeling my heart start racing. It was almost as if I was having some sort of a heart attack. My palms were getting sweaty and I had this strange taste in my mouth. (I later learned this was called an aura). All of the sudden, like before, I lost consciousness. I woke up and realized, I had had another seizure. The office called my mom and when I got in the car we both realized that something was obviously wrong.
I had begun to have seizures EVERY day. I went to a church event and had one the next day. I had one at home the day after. On the next day (that Monday) We went to the hospital, only to find out that they couldn't do anything for us, except to tell us to see our regular physician. So we did that the next day. All the while I was having seizures and missing school.
Finally, they get me into a neurologist. I was so scared. I didn't know what to expect. When I got into the office, she told me that I was most likely epileptic and that we would need an EEG to confirm it. She told me that I would lose my permit for six months and gave me this list of rules. I felt weird and out of place. Like I was not normal anymore. She quickly put me on Topamax and told me my EEG would be soon and that I should probably go back to school.
Going back to school was one of the hardest things I had to do. I felt so strange handing my teachers the piece of paper saying I had epilepsy and what to do if I had a seizure. I wasn't used to telling my friends that sat next to me that I was fine every minute of the day. It was hard adjusting into my new lifestyle. And I think it was hard for all of my classmates too once I had my first seizure in class. They were all waiting on it to happen one day. And when I did I was amazed at how ready they were, but how scared. This is a new experience for everyone involved. It will continue to be a new experience for the rest of my life and as long as I live I will not give up.
I am now on Two types of seizure medication for my epilepsy (Topamax and Keppra) and I am working hard to get my seizures under control. It is a continuous battle, but with the help and prayers of friends and family I know that I can do it.

Last edited:
Hey danjor, :)

Your story is GREAT! I like how you've explained how your seizure condition makes you feel & how you're doing your best to de-mystify epilepsy for your classmates, teachers & administrators. Excellent job, danjor!

Great job on your paper. I am now graduated from college but do remember what it's like having complex partial seizures in class and my sign language interpreters could tell before I could! How embarassing to try to leave class and find a place to hide out hehe. It is hard to explain seizures and epilepsy to the general public but I am used to having to explain my disabilities with everyone that works with me. I have blindness and deafness as well and Epilepsy is the hardest one to deal with to me... BUT nothing is impossible when you set your mind to it. I think that when people feel comfortable and know what to do and how to help you, the rest of the group tends to be more relaxed and willing to understand more. I think you're on the right track for educating the general public and your classmates. Good luck with everything and your schooling!
Take care of yourself..
Be safe.
Crystal

I would have never had the guts to do that when I was in high school.

I hope you get a good mark on it.

Great Job

I know it's a frightening experience for you. Getting up in front of people, even your friends and classmates, is not the easiest thing to do.
Way back when I was a kid, it was a lot tougher than it is now.
Good luck with school.

Wow

That's a great paper, Danjor...your teacher better give you an A+!

I would not have had the guts to write that myself, either. A research paper, yes........that autobiographical, UH NO. :)

GREAT JOB!!

:clap::clap:

That was a courageous thing to do Danjor, but one that will make you stronger in the future. It took me years to openly talk about my E and I am 48 now.

I have always felt that I was lucky to not start having seizures until I was 20. High school was tough enough without having to deal with my E at the same time.

Thumbs up to you - you are a great guy!!

:agree:
I'm really impressed by your paper Danjor, you were so brave to write about your experiences with seizures on school. I'm proud to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom