My Personal N=1

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Next project that is underway is my medical MJ gardening.
The state of Hawaii finally got me my card. (Took 2 months). They have just , like a couple of weeks ago, passed a piece of legislation here to allow for dispensaries like they have in California. Everybody heard about this and suddenly everybody and their cousin wanted to get a card so the office was kinda swamped.

The other positive change that has just recently happened here is that the oversight of medical MJ has been transferred from the department of Drug Enforcement to the Department of Health. I think that says a lot about a general shift in attitude.

Dispensaries are definitely coming here but they are at least a year off and even then, there is not going to be one on Molokai anytime soon. I would have to take the ferry over to Lahaina Maui for supplies.

Anybody see the cover of Nat Geo magazine this month? The cover story is, "Weed: The New Science of Marijuana" and it is basically advocating a lifting of the federal ban on scientists studying this plant. It's not claiming it's dangerous or that it's a miracle drug, just that there is no way we can ever get hard data on the subject one way or the other if scientists are not really allowed to study it.

So, I now have a card. I'm legal at least. And the doctor who runs the card distribution service "hooked me up" with some seeds of the strain that they have been testing in Israel that is very similar to the Charlotte's Web stuff out of Colorado in terms of low THC/high CBD.
I have a friend (my carpenter and neighbor) who built some huge planter boxes for my porch so the whole grow operation can be snuggled up to the house. He showed me how to put the seeds is some damp paper towel and put that in some plastic tubs and put those in the sun to get the germination going. Meanwhile we will be buying planting soil and getting the beds all ready.
He thankfully knows all about how to tell if a seedling is a male or a female (who knew these things mattered?).
Even starting from good seeds like this, there is no guarantee that all the plants will come out the same in the genetic roll of the dice as their parent plants. So, in exchange for his expertise, my carpenter gets to keep any plants that "go bad" from my point of view, meaning they actually could get you loaded. In the absence of a lab to test for THC/CBD content, I have him to give it a puff and tell me if it is worth smoking from his point of view.
Given that he is an old stoner from way back, he's kind of like the MJ version of a fine wine sommelier.

It takes a whole village to raise some pot!

I hope you are doing due diligence as to discouraging the little critters of the world who will want to chow down on those tender little plants. I hope you post some photos. I hope you bloom! Very exciting times!

Yes, well that's one of the reasons for keeping the whole operation inside the porch area. It's already bug screened in so that cuts most of the critters out, the flying ones at least. Anything trying to get at them would have to slither in between the deck boards up from underneath the house.

I will see what I can do about some pics. I do own a camera, I'm just not sure where it is. Hmmm. These things happen when you box up your whole life and move it across an ocean.

That is good about the porch. Seems like you have time to spare to come up with a camera since it will take a while for those plants to shoot up. I am enjoying the idea of this experiment hugely and will be so interested in what happens next. I think you better prepare to take notes. Your life is bound to become interesting in all kinds of unexpected ways, scientific, agricultural and humanistic.
I took CBD oil every day for a little over a week a while back, having heard about it from OneDayAtATime. The effect was good to quell the anxiety from the tinnitus and balance problems, but I had a procedure last week that involved anesthesia and I decided it would be best to have the CBD out of my system for that occasion, so I stopped taking it a couple of weeks ago. I am not going to take it again until after the VEEG workup is completed. At the rate things are going that may be a few months. The anesthesia was proponal [I think that is the name. It is the stuff that killed Michael Jackson.] Maybe it is the most gentle anesthesia available but the procedure was 5 days ago and I am still very vague -- a stranger in a strange land, as it were. A great urgency is developing in me that says I should rid my system of all medications. Nobody would approve at this point, including me, and I will keep taking the zonisamide faithfully,resisting all temptation, but the winds are shifting.

I get that sense of urgency too sometimes, just want to toss the pills and run the other direction as fast as possible. The rational part of me knows that would not be wise........but still........

I have found the CBD to be a very effective and gentle sleep aid. I guess if my gardening project gets going well I will be able to cut it out. That stuff is expensive.

The anesthesia was proponal [I think that is the name. It is the stuff that killed Michael Jackson.] Maybe it is the most gentle anesthesia available but the procedure was 5 days ago and I am still very vague -- a stranger in a strange land, as it were.
Propofol is considered "mild" in some ways -- it acts quickly, can be used in children, and has a brief half-life -- but it's still a very powerful sedative. A little goes a long way, and some studies have found that doses that are supposed to produce only "regional anesthesia" are actually strong enough to produce "deep anesthesia" in many patients, particularly older ones. The side effects are supposed to wear off almost immediately, but everyone reacts differently. Are there any other factors that might be contributing to your lingering "mental fog"? Make sure you are eating and especially hydrating properly, and getting enough sleep, and that should help you shake off the hangover.

Nak, Thank you for mentioning this. I was under for over an hour so it was not just a little bit. They used it because they already knew I am very sensitive to anesthesia and this was the best the could offer. They take me more seriously than I do. They paid attention because I complained about the aftermath the last time I was put under. But I forgot. Really. Since I have been diagnosed with epilepsy I am so impressed with how perplexed I am about my own body states. I STILL have never identified a seizure for sure and the epidemiologist is not convinced I have seizures [though the diagnosis is "epilepsy"] and I have fallen out of bed and had a couple of really terrible falls on the street. I am sure I will post more about this as I grapple with it. In the meantime thank you for reminding me to hydrate and to sleep, I am taking it seriously! Thanks.

Bidwell, just out of curiosity, have you had a cardiac work-up at any point?

Bidwell, have they figured out yet what is going on with your ears/eyes or are you still waiting for appointments?

Nak is right about the hydration. I'm finding that in this tropical heat I need to remind myself to drink more often than in the dry desert heat of my former home in SoCal where the dry air would make your lips, eyes, etc. dry and remind you to hydrate. I've been doubling down on the coconut water lately.

Yes. When seizures were first diagnosed a cardiologist ordered a stress test which I aced to a degree that was embarrassing. Here they had gone to all the trouble of preparing for the thing and . . . Also I have moments of such intense rage that at one point I started to take my blood pressure to see if it was spiking. Then I went to the doctor to check it out. No blood pressure problem, says she. Maybe I better start researching psychogenic because I know that one thing that would enrage me would be for someone to tell me that those experiences are psychogenic. It HAS TO BE TRUE that somewhere there is an instrument that can measure my body processes as it generates these awful experiences. And if that is so, how can they be psychogenic?

Yes, AlohaBird, I am still waiting around about an appointment though I am now ALSO waiting around for schedulers at the Mayo Clinic to call back, too.I will go wherever calls back first but I maybe should go to Mayo. [It would be much harder on me.] I am also having a long workup at a Naturopathic Clinic where I have asked them to go over everything. I feel good about that because I may be able to talk straight with those people and maybe I can trust them to talk straight to me. And I am drinking my coconut water. The GrainBrain diet has made a BIG difference. I have lost 10 pounds and I love eating that way.

Awesome. I'm so glad Grain Brain is helping. Brain Maker is worth a read too.
I think including a naturopathic point of view in the committee giving you information can only be helpful. More complete info=better decision making capabilities.

Hoo boy!

My normal 4 mile walk turned into a 7-8 mile walk today, the 4 miles to and from the national park plus the hound and I went trail exploring. It was gorgeous and there are lots more trails to be explored.
It was just a spontaneous thing of , "Oooh, look. I wonder where that goes".
Back now and feeling a bit wiped but happy.

This is a very interesting article by Mark Sisson of the Mark's Daily Apple site about what he calls Forrest Bathing. It is about the hard scientific data that backs up what everybody knows that it feels good to get out in nature.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forest-bathing/#axzz3ey8TdXcH

We did some serious forrest bathing today.

Forest Bathing - an idea whose time has come!

I am sitting in a doorway that opens out onto the sky and rooftops lower than me where lots of people are congragating while the sun sets. First the neighborhoods on a long ridge send off their puny little flairs and then when it gets dark enough, the big guys get going with their Displays from many points beyond the ridge. And when I look down to the street below, nobody is there. They have all settled in somewhere to wait and watch. Happy Fourth!

Thanks, I'm just hoping that all the children of Molokai still have all their fingers in the morning.

Well, phooey!
I'm having trouble getting these MJ seeds to germinate. I do not naturally have a green thumb when it comes to any kind of gardening and house plants tend to die when under my care.
Oh, well. I have a bunch more seeds so I can keep trying. I think I may have had them too soggy wet instead of just damp. Trying for that Goldilocks spot.

Good luck! Myself, I have a black thumb -- almost all my houseplants ends up as "assisted suicides". :(

Hah! Assisted suicide! Exactly.

If worse comes to worst I could always buy some finished product. But I'm not sure about the CBD/THC content there.

And the dispensaries are coming next year. That will make things much easier. The ones in California had all the interesting edibles like Mari-butter and the oil that can be used in a vaporizer instead of smoking.

Back
Top Bottom