My Personal N=1

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thanks. The progesterone cream was prescirbed - I follow the amt. on the container. The directions say to apply it to the breasts.
In my case, I have too much estrogen. (the depakote doesn't help) I was originally on the oral, but switched to the cream b/c it's more natural.

Yeah, I'm hoping that once I'm off the depakote, the progesterone may no longer be needed either. Once everything gets back in balance.

Happy Easter CWE from me, too. Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter Sunday.

This Easter Sunday, around 5:00 AM, I was awakened by the beginning stages of a grand mal seizure. I was okay, just frustrated. After it was all over, I slept till 10:00, when I was awakened by the sound of my son looking for his Easter Basket & my husband whispering, "Shhh. Mama's asleep!"

This made me smile and I got up to bring him his Easter basket. (I had forgotten to put it out last night.) He's 12 & knows, but we still play Easter Bunny for the fun of it.

I enjoyed the rest of the day and had a very Paleo Easter! :)

I'm sorry your Easter had to include a seizure, Joy.

Some of the churches here got together and had an "Easter in the Park" outdoor celebration complete with lots of food. I had some pork and some cucumber salad and skipped all the rice, poi, and mac'n'cheese.
My contractor was there with his wife and kids. I got introduced to the kids as "Auntie Robin". That is a really sweet Hawaiian custom that I really like. Anyone in your same age group is addressed as Brothah or Sistah and older people are Uncle and Auntie. I really think it has something to do with why the people here are as healthy as they are. They always feel connected to this extended definition of family.

Our Church group has it's anual Easter egg hunt and picnic the Sunday following Easter, as on Easter Sunday everyone usually has to rush off somewhere. So, this Sunday we'll have our big Easter Party after Mass. We are a small, close knit community - everyone shares the same beliefs, etc. It's great for the kids.

I got my progesterone cream in the mail and I'm giving that a try. Too soon to tell anything one way or the other yet.

Good luck with it. It's helped me alot in the past.
:)

Well, ratfarts!

I had a TC early this morning. I didn't hurt anything being safely tucked in bed. Somehow managed not to munch on my tongue which is really nice. In fact, compared to the way it used to be, I feel remarkably...not good...but not horrible either. Just a little spacey and tired. I spent the day binge watching internet tv back episodes.

Oh well. I will re-evaluate things tomorrow.

I hope you bounce back from this quickly. I know how it sucks to be derailed by a t-c. :(

Sorry to hear about that, Aloha. :(

Yeah, for some reason I have been having them EVERY night for the past 5 nights! I'm like, what's up with this?!
This is what has been happening lately - all throughout the day I'll be having these little auras (ooops,just had one as I was typing - goosebumps and all) off and on which is just a little reminder to me that by this evening, it's gonna happen! That's how it's been for about the past 5 days - not sure why. Two of the past nights it's been Grand mals. the other three nights I just was kept awake by the uncontrolable shaking.

Last edited:
Thanks, ladies.
Feeling much better today. I went in for my appointment today to get certified with a medical mj card by the state of Hawaii. The doctor was able to hook me up with some high CBD/low THC strain seeds. He's not really supposed to do that but he said that, unlike a lot of his "patients" who claim some unverifiable thing like headaches or backaches in order to be able to get stoned legally, he actually believed me that I was looking for the true medicinal benefits. And he was aware that a high THC variety of mj could actually cause seizures and he didn't want that to happen to me. So, I should be able to start doing some gardening soon.

The Mozart effect is what the Delta Wave CDs I got (by Dr. Jeffrey Thompson) are aiming to replicate. Evidently Mozart just intuitively knew how to induce delta wave brain patterns in his listeners. The CDs really help me in getting to sleep. Given that my seizures are nocturnal, getting to sleep for me is a big deal. It is too easy to have that busy little hamster that is your brain running around that wheel and refusing to give it a rest for the night. Those CDs ease the transition.

About the CBD oil. I've had mixed results with it. I've tried it in tincture, in capsules and in a vaporizer system. I've decided the tinctures are not really working for me due to all the extraneous junk in them like glycerine and sugar alcohols. I find the vaporizer pen very soothing but I don't know how much of that may be placebo. It does seem to relax me when used at the end of the day before bed. I can't tell if the capsules are doing anything or not.

There has been some speculation I've read that the two elements of cannabis, CBD and THC need to both be present working synergistically to have the desired effect. So a low TCH/ high CBD strain would be more effective that pure CBD oil alone. This is why I'm looking forward to my new gardening project.

I think it's time to take inventory, see what is working and what isn't.

Things that have a negative impact:
Melatonin. Just doesn't work for me and makes seizures happen. :(

Things that seem to have no impact one way or the other:
Lion's Mane mushrooms. Been taking this stuff in capsules. Supposed to be neuroprotective. Who knows.
Skullcap and passionflower tincture. I'll use it up but I don't like the glycerine. Same for the CBD tincture.

Stuff that is probably good for overall health so I'll stay with it even if I don't see a direct effect on seizures:
Moringa supplements (I have tea, powder, capsules, oil, and soup mix). If I have to be on AEDs right now, at least I can minimize the impact on my nutrient levels with this awesome broad spectrum plant.
Naringin (grapefruit extract): I'm only taking this until my next crop of pomelo grapefruit are ready for eating.
Krill oil capsules: I don't always eat as much seafood as I would like (strange given that I live on an island. I think the local fishermen sell a lot to other markets e.g.asia) This keeps my O3 and O6 in balance.

Stuff that seems to help me sleep:
The Delta Wave CDs with the fleece headband earphones. Awesome inventions.
Gaia brand capsules called "Sound Sleep". A mix of skullcap, passionflower, kava, valerian, California poppy, vervain, and kola leaf.
The CBD oil in the vaporizer pen is very relaxing. I think the CBD capsules help me sleep but that may be placebo.

The visits to my Hawaiian healer are definitely in the "beneficial" category for overall health and for sleep. I look forward to Mondays all week.

Stuff that it's too soon to tell one way or the other:
Progesterone cream

Next project: cannabis gardening.
It turns out my carpenter who has also become a friend and is also a neighbor also has a medical card and knows a lot about cultivation (which is a lot more than I know). He is going to build me a planter box for my porch.

Have you tried growing your own moringa? You're in the right climate zone, lucky you :)

Have you tried growing your own moringa? You're in the right climate zone, lucky you :)
Not yet but I'm thinking about it. But then again, when there is fresh local moringa pods and the powder for sale at the farmers market every week, it's kind of easier to let someone else grow it. I do have the room in the yard perhaps if I took out a few banana trees.

Forgot to add above that I am still taking the Magnesium transdermal supplement and I think that has some tangible benefit in that it keeps me from getting muscle cramps in my legs at night.

I also have two supplemenst made by Dr. Wysong who mostly makes grain free pet food but also makes a few human products as well. They are called "Whole Salt" and also "Whole Garlic Salt". In addition to the salt (which is sea salt) and garlic with dried powdered sea veggies, they both contain supplements of calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulfur,iron,phosphorus, manganese, zinc,copper, iodine,selenium, chromium, and cobalt.

They both taste just like regular salt and garlic salt so it is an easy way to get supplemental nutrients in everyday cooking.

I also have what I call my medicinal foods. Canned smoked oysters for iodine, coconut water for potassium and magnesium, noni juice for a whole host of antioxidants.
I'm also drinking lemongrass tea which according to Hawaiian folklore is a natural antimicrobial gut cleanse as well as making you un-appetizing to mosquitos. The scent in "citronella" candles is made from lemongrass. It is delicious hot or iced.

Back
Top Bottom