my vns experience

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Arnie,
Happy to see the surgery went well, hope the VNS will help.

How long do you have to wait before they turn the VNS on?

Thanks for the good wishes, Sunflower and Nak and CQ. (and everyone else, of course!) I'm doing quite well, overall. No pain at all from the incisions, no more nausea from the anesthesia, no more dressing pulling on my chest hair! As to a time line, CQ, I see the surgeon again on the 17th, and the neurologist on the 20th, when he will activate the thing and I will be instantly cured of epilepsy forever and never have to take meds again and will win the lotto every week!

OK, maybe all of that won't happen, but I'm optimistic that I will see a significant decrease in seizures over the next year or so, and presumably a reduction in meds as well. That's the goal! By the way, I can feel the device under my skin. It's kind of strange to know there is a "thing" inside of me that will most probably be there forever and ever.

Thanks again for the good wishes. If I didn't say it before, (you know how our memories are, and I don't want to read through the other posts) I appreciate having you people here who understand medical stuff and aren't repulsed by it. My wife hates being in hospitals, can't stand to look at my incisions or any type of wound, and is also pretty nervous that something is going to happen to me. I think I can reassure her, for the most part, that I'm OK, but I can't really talk to her about the nuts and bolts of the surgery or how the device works except in the most general way or she will get squeamish. I'm sure many of you can relate, right? (Also, I found a video on youtube of a vns device being implanted, and it was fairly gross to look at, even for me.)

Now it's time to go have a big plate of spaghetti and a salad. Anyone want to come over and bring a dessert?

Just a quick update: It's been 5 days since the surgery. Yesterday I started getting annoyed by the steri-strips on my neck, and a couple of them were starting to come off, so I carefully helped the rest of them off with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. The incision has healed really well and from 4 or 5 feet away you probably wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it. I haven't had any dressing on the chest incision but I think I will let the surgeon remove the stitches!! Also, I think that incision could use a little more time to heal.
As for the device, it's quite visible under my skin. (I don't have a whole lot of body fat. Maybe that's why?) It looks like a couple of silver dollars stacked up under there. I can also see the lead underneath my skin all the way from the device to my neck. It's not like anyone will notice those things, and if they did I wouldn't care, but I had heard that nothing would really show. I think even the surgeon said nothing would be visible.
One thing I can't do yet is wear my seatbelt in the normal way because it hits right on the device and doesn't feel good. I will have to see what develops with that.
Anyhow, that's the latest. Surgeon on the 17th and activation on the 20th. I've had 11 seizures in the last 7 days. I sure hope to start seeing a reduction, but I realize it can take a while. Cheers to you all!

PS: No one took me up on the dessert offer from my previous post! I'm offended!! :)

Last edited:
I'm surprised that you can see the VNS. Neither one that I've had you can't see anything other than the scar and a small bump. I haven't heard of anyone else being able to see the VNS. hopefully that will go away when it heals more. Hope it won't effect your being a model?

The seatbelt might be bothering you because you just had the surgery and that's why it's bothering you. The same thing happened with my bra strap when I got the new one. Now that it's healed it doesn't bother me at all.

When it is turned on you will feel a tingle in your throat. That tingle is when the VNS goes off. It's a little annoying at first but after a few days you will get used to it and don't even know it's there.

Keep us updated!

No one took me up on the dessert offer from my previous post! I'm offended!!
Sorry Arnie, I would have brought over the cheesecake I made, but I finished off the leftovers on the weekend.

Sorry Arnie, I would have brought over the cheesecake I made, but I finished off the leftovers on the weekend.
You were saying in another thread that you're trying to get in better shape. The cheesecake ain't gonna help with that! You really need to share next time. My spaghetti was delicious, even though the sauce was not homemade. (I am not one to talk about desserts, though, because I made a big pan of brownies today! Fortunately there are still a lot left!)

Valerie, it just may be the end of my underwear modeling career. I will have to switch to modeling rugged, outdoorsy type stuff, so if they see the scar on my neck it will just make me look more manly! I would say that most guys kind of like scars, to tell the truth.

Joking aside, I tried to tip my head back to put in eye drops, and it kind of hurt to do that. I also can't hold my phone between my ear and left shoulder now, or do sit-ups. I suppose some of that will get better when everything heals.

Last edited:
Have you not heard of photoshop? I think your modeling career will be just fine. In fact, you could look like Justin Bieber and still get away with being an underwear model. They could just photoshop you into babehood.

On a different note, when I googled VNS I saw that lost of people had visible cables in their necks--looked like the normal artery that is there anyway. I didn't see any visible devices, though. Is it possible you just have swelling at the site?

I don't know how I will cope without the phone and shoulder holding trick. I'm an incurable multi-tasker. Let's see how it all goes after a reasonable healing period has passed.

I've had a ton of surgeries arnie and it takes a while to heal up after them. Some longer than others.

It was over two weeks after my second VNS was put in until it didn't hurt to put pressure on it. And this was only the VNS in my chest, I didn't have the wires replaced in my neck (can't do that actually). I don't remember how long after my first VNS was put in before everything felt ok again but I know it was probably a few weeks.

Have you not heard of photoshop? I think your modeling career will be just fine. In fact, you could look like Justin Bieber and still get away with being an underwear model. They could just photoshop you into babehood.

:eek: well i've never seen ya arn but damn straight i'd rather see you in your underwear instead of that little freak. as a canadian i am quite ashamed and wish he'd never came from here. quite a loser really, and then there's also the latest...

http://globalnews.ca/news/1081526/police-raid-justin-biebers-home-report/

... egged a guy's house and may go to jail?
... wrecked a picture of clinton in public and had to apologize?
... was taken by bodyguards from the great wall of china?

:clap: yeah you're outstanding buddy.

:eek: well i've never seen ya arn but damn straight i'd rather see you in your underwear instead of that little freak. as a canadian i am quite ashamed and wish he'd never came from here. quite a loser really, and then there's also the latest...

http://globalnews.ca/news/1081526/police-raid-justin-biebers-home-report/

... egged a guy's house and may go to jail?
... wrecked a picture of clinton in public and had to apologize?
... was taken by bodyguards from the great wall of china?

I'm not a fan of Justin Bieber either, I think he acts like a spoilt brat most of the time.

Well, past the sin of his bad music, nothing can really compare.

:roflmao: bleh, one of very few shitty canadians. very few ;)

Just a quick update: Back from the 4-minute visit with the surgeon's nurse to get the stitches removed. Everything's healing fine. No infection or anything. All is well. Probably when my chest hair grows back over where they implanted the device there won't be much visible, so my underwear model career won't suffer! :)
Monday the 20th my neuro will activate the vns. I found out today that he will be retiring in March, so I guess I'm gonna have to see someone else for the follow-up with this. That's life! Onward and upward!

PS: this was my 500th post so I am now an "esteemed pillar of the community"! Do I get a raise?

I think hairy guys are sexy so once it gets some hair on it I want a picture of you! Do you model tighty whities or thongs?

If you get a raise let me know because I didn't get one. If you have to show a picture I'm no where near being a model, underwear or anything else. So if I would have to send in a picture of myself I may get demoted or worse - kicked off the forum!!!

I think hairy guys are sexy so once it gets some hair on it I want a picture of you! Do you model tighty whities or thongs?

me toooo ;) my bf calls himself an ape. love it.

If you get a raise let me know because I didn't get one. If you have to show a picture I'm no where near being a model, underwear or anything else. So if I would have to send in a picture of myself I may get demoted or worse - kicked off the forum!!!

now val tsk tsk! we'd NEVER kick ya off! *smile* with having e we're among the strongest people in the world, and we look fab too!

Since I'm actually not a model (which I'm sure y'all know. I guess?) you can fantasize whatever you want!! :)

PS: this was my 500th post so I am now an "esteemed pillar of the community"! Do I get a raise?

Only if you show us your underwear modelling photographs.

:agree: ;) :bigsmile:

Since I'm actually not a model (which I'm sure y'all know. I guess?) you can fantasize whatever you want!! :)

I saw in another post that you are bald too arnie. Bald hairy guys are the sexist thing in the world to me!!!!! I'm already fantasizing..... :D

In my opinion you could be a model. I may just HAVE to see a picture of you!!!!

I saw in another post that you are bald too arnie. Bald hairy guys are the sexist thing in the world to me!!!!! I'm already fantasizing..... :D
In my opinion you could be a model. I may just HAVE to see a picture of you!!!!

:pop:

this is starting to get good. up next: arnie stars in the full monty!!!

Back
Top Bottom