myoclonic jerks or just twitching?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

munchy

New
Reaction score
Hi again,

I've been wondering whether I've been having myoclonic jerks, or whether I'm just twitching, I've been reading alot on the net to try and work out which one it is, but maybe some other peoples personal experiences might help.

My twitches usually happen in my legs, they aren't massive jumps, but both legs will twitch at the same time, probably only moving about 5-10cm. I also get similar twitches in my fingers, though it usually only affects one hand at a time. I only get one twitch at a time, rather than a continual twitching.

I know that everyone, epileptic or not, twitches as they fall asleep but lately I've been getting more and more. Luckily I'm single or I'd probably have a very bruised partner because these twitches can be very violent!!!

My thumb has also started twitching, but that is a rhythmic twitch and my neuro says that is most likely an SP seizure. (So much better than the horrible deja vu SP's!)

I'd be interested to know what other people think these twitches could be. I will obviously mention it to my neuro (I mentioned the thumb, but not the legs which was a bit silly of me!), but I wont be seeing her for another 4 months. Thanks in advance,

Munchy xx

(I've typed twitch, twitching and twitches so many times the word looks really strange to me now lol!!!)

Myclonics usually happen on both sides of the body at once, so the leg ones sound like they might fit with that. Any kind of twitching that seems to be increasing in frequency should be checked out.

actually from what Ive read myoclonic siezures usually happen on both sides of the body at once, however there are other types of myoclonus that can affect one side of the body at a time, theres alot of good info on myoclonus at the "We Move" website, Id post the link but Im not sure if thats allowed, its a website for people who have movement disorders, which are usually neurological, I have Essential Tremors, and some form of myoclonus, that usually only affects one body part at a time, and Ive yet to find the cause, it may be seizure related or simply Essential Myoclonus, which mean the medical community doesnt know exactly what causes it.

Back
Top Bottom