Myoclonic jerks vs partial seizures and other ramblings

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Trinity

New
Reaction score
Well, i'm really confused because my history of epilepsy has involved mainly TC seizures, at least as far as I know. I think i've probably had other seizures in the past but not thought much of it. I know that recently I have had involuntary jerking and my neurologist mentioned that he thought it may have been a small seizure. I thought he meant a simple partial seizure, just based of my limited knowledge and I didn't think to clarify with him. Not that it matters really I guess what label is put on it but i'm wondering what the difference is between a simple partial seizure and myoclonic jerk. The jerks I have are single jerks/twitches of my hand, arm, leg or even my head. Recently they have been happening several times a week. I would say it happened 3 times just yesterday and twice today. I'm thinking I should probably keep a record of what is happening. From what I know simple partial seizures can effect movement and can cause involuntary movement and twitches so how does this differ? Does it have to do with consciousness, because i'm totally conscious and I am able to speak (I know a friends mother who has partial seizures says she is aware of what's happening but can't speak) and what not.
This is all so confusing and i'm not used to this after so many years of well controlled epilepsy. Also does tiredness effect these jerks that happen because today I was out at the shops after school (i'm a teacher) and I was bloody exhausted from all the walking (now that I can't drive i'm going to have to walk more often) and that is when I had a twitch/jerk of my head.

I know this is not related but I also have hand/arm tremors due to side effects of the Epilim. I've always had that and some days are worse than others but lately it seems that there have been a lot more 'bad days' with that. I assume that is likely because i've been on the Lamictal as well and the tremors are a side effect of that too.

Sometimes I think I don't just have Epilepsy but also dementia and parkinsons as well :) j/k

I feel really frustrated with this and i'm so glad to have found this forum. It is so nice to be able to discuss these things with people who actually understand. As a child my Epilepsy didn't really bother me but it bothers me more now. I think it's because I know how much more it can effect my job and my life - nobody is going to kick you out of school as a student because you have Epilepsy and you can't get a drivers licence when you are 10 so you are no different than any other kid. Also if you are whacked out tired and can't focus on your homework Mum writes a note but unfortunately a note from Mum doesn't work anymore and you have to deal with deadlines (even though I do have a very understanding supervisor, you don't want to push your luck). Also if you are home alone with the kids or in the car (with the kids or alone) and have a seizure you know that what happens is going to effect not only you but them as well. I know my big sister would cry when I had seizures as a kid but I don't think it really hit just how intense it was for her to see me like that. I always though - ah yeah, big deal - whatever. Life is much more complicated as an adult - why did I need to grow up.

Well, i'm really confused because my history of epilepsy has involved mainly TC seizures, at least as far as I know.

A common refrain I see on E forums is people discovering they had a history of non-TC seizures but didn't know what they were (or weren't conscious through them, so never had any awareness of them).

... but i'm wondering what the difference is between a simple partial seizure and myoclonic jerk.

I'm not sure how the distinction is made. Perhaps they have different signatures on EEGs. In general, I think (a sometimes dangerous proposition...) a single strong jerk would be classified under myoclonus and small, repetitive jerks would be indicative of SPS.

The jerks I have are single jerks/twitches of my hand, arm, leg or even my head. ...... i'm totally conscious and I am able to speak

Sounds like Myoclonic to me.

... Also does tiredness effect these jerks that happen ...

Tiredness has always lowered Stacy's seizure threshold.

I know my big sister would cry when I had seizures as a kid but I don't think it really hit just how intense it was for her to see me like that.

Witnessing a TC seizure can be intense - especially when it is happening to someone you love.

Have you talked to your docs about your increasing seizure activity?

Trinity - I have noticed occasionally a jerk. Nothing regular, no more than once. I have attributed it to a release of stress. I guess I have been more conscious of them since I have been reading others symptoms.

I know for a fact that I would benefit from a stress reducing exercise program. More walking, yoga, relaxation tecniques, better breathing, drinking water.

Do you have any of these in place? To always contribute it to a "fear" of something more to come would send me right into Alice's fall.

Back
Top Bottom