Myoclonic Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Who has myoclonic seizures at bedtime or any other time? I know it's normal to have some jerking when you start going to sleep but since my seizure January of 2011, I've been experiencing a lot more. Last night for example, I wasn't even drifting off and my leg jerked and I've had that happen to my arms and legs too, sometimes two at time. Sometimes it happens as I go to sleep, sometimes it wakes me from a solid sleep.

I sleep on my side and it will usually happen to the leg or arm I am not sleeping on and if I happen to turn in the night and sleep on my back, it'll either be my arm or leg on either side. Doesn't happen that often but more lately. It even happned once when I was sitting at the computer when I had my leg crooked with balancing on my toes while sitting. However, most times it's so slight, I almost think I imagined it.

I have gone thru this something awful! Right now 1 mg klonopin 2x a day is making a world of difference. I was having them so bad I wouldn't sleep. It was a vicious cycle of myoclonus jerking me awake wide awake and repeat. I also have other epileptic issues and take robaxin, tegretol and keppra xr.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

When my seizures are getting out of control, at night I would always wake up doing some body motion. It was unusual. Like I was doing sleep movement, but I felt like I just had a seizure upon awaking. The nocturnal habits are still a huge mystery I guess. No one can tell me why I wake up doing those things. I hope it alleviates for both of you. Not sleeping makes everything worse.

In my case the meds have been wonderful. My husband was a wonderful testament that something was not normal and needed to be fixed. They had recorded it during a hospital stay but nothing was done. He re-addressed it after our new reality became if I slept he was awake from my own personal earthquake - not to mention I was bearing him up. Occasionally, it is a problem now but much much less- usually the beginning of a tc seizure in my sleep.

Well it is good to hear the medication is working better. Also it is great that your husband is advocating the problems with sleep. I would find a way to record these at home, and show them to your neuro. If you notice a consistency in the recordings, that can actually be more beneficial then the findings at a hospital stay. Always worth looking into.

We opted for a sleep study however by the time it was actually done very recently- I am not sure what it actually recorded. I was to get those results during my last appointment however having a TC at the beginning of our appointment that lasted a good hour and my speech returned even later - changed our intentions. I plan to do a phone appointment for those results soon

I use to get the jerks at bedtime, lack of sleep and stress made them worse, but since raising my primidone levels and putting me on Klonopin I've been much much better.

My daughter only gets myoclonus in the morning, about an hour before waking. Pretty much every day, about a minute apart for usually about an hour. Her meds have controlled her t-c & absences though, so this we can deal with.

Back
Top Bottom