Nausea-hoping it's not a new seizure type?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

zombelina

New
Reaction score
I've been having some nausea-like symptoms lately, where an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach comes and goes every few seconds. It usually doesn't last very long, but sometimes it occurs around the same time as my other seizures (which are usually confined to the sensory and motor strips, but sometimes spread to other areas). I have the small simple partials quite frequently so having the two occur at the same time could be a coincidence, or maybe that I need to eat? As I've mentioned, I recently came off one of my three meds, but I think the stomach feeling started a week or two before I made the change. I am desperately hoping this is a manifestation of anxiety or just an actual stomach problem, and not a new type of seizure. I've already had one new seizure type emerge this year. Isn't it true that the section of your brain where nausea is felt is nowhere near the parietal and frontal lobes? That's what I keep trying to tell myself. Any thoughts? Thanks :)

Hi zombelina, sorry that you are feeling rotten.

You will have to ask your doctor what is wrong. You might need more tests.

We are not doctors and cannot diagnose what may or may not be the cause. Only doctors can do that.

I have had stomach problems but it turned out to be an ulcer in my colon. It had nothing to do with my epilepsy.

I hope you feel better. Tomorrow you can call up your doctor and tell him/her what is wrong.

Um, hate to mention it but is there any chance you could be expecting?

As Ruth said it may or may not have anything to do with your e.
It could also be a digestive issue as a side effect of your meds.

The nausea could be a type of simple partial seizure -- one of the symptoms can be unexplained nausea, and something called "epigastric rising" where the odd feeling seems to rise through your body. But as you say it can be tough to tell. Make a note of it and keep track of when it occurs.

BTW, autonomic auras (rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, nausea and other stomach sensations, urinary urges, feelings of warmth or cold) are associated with regions connecting the frontal and temporal lobes, as well as the amygdala and the supplementary sensorimotor area of the brain. So if the nausea is seizure-related it can still have a frontal/temporal point of origin.

Thanks so much, everyone! Nope, not expecting :). (And hopefully won't be for another couple years). Thank you for the anatomy lesson, Nakamova. I always try to figure out the path my seizures take, especially when they spread further (farther?) than normal, but it gets confusing! I'm just going to keep an eye on it for now, and hopefully it won't be anything to worry about. I feel like in the last year or two I've been reached out to my doctor a lot more than usual, so I try to make sure it's something important before I check in. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom