need advice from females

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
I can't take or use estrogen cream in any amount because it always triggers seizures.
I am having a bladder problem now that requires estrogen to heal. I increased my seizures med & tried a very small dose of estrogen to begin with but I still have partial seizures.

Does anyone have any suggestions on alternative treatment? It seems every med I need is one that triggers seizures. Thanks for any help.

Did you talk to your gyno (I'm assuming that's who you're seeing about it) and see if he has any suggestions? Sometimes there is another med that they can put you on. It may not work as fast but it might not cause the seizures. I had that happen with using steroids for poison ivy. If I took steroid pills the poison ivy would be gone in about a week but it caused seizures. There was also an option of just using a cream. It helped with the itching but it would take about 3 weeks for the poison ivy to go away.

Did you talk to your neuro about it? Sometimes they know what meds can cause seizures and have suggestions of other ones to take.

Thanks for your reply. My gyno is the one insisting that estrogen cream will not cause me seizures or any side effects but I know it does. Doc says it's impossible. You can tell what kind of healthcare I have in my area.

To give your doc the benefit of the doubt (sometimes we have to, even when we shouldn't have to!) he/she is not a neurologist so may not be aware of any effect estrogen can have on brain and seizure activity.
I have doctors from a couple of different specialties, and I find I used to always have to be the one to do the phoning to say "okay, Dr. _____ wants me to take ____. Is this okay?" Often the pharmacist will be aware if different drugs could interact and will either mention them to you verbally or give you the medication leaflet and then when you read it you can pick up potentially interacting drugs this way.
It doesn't hurt to be assertive and ask whichever doctor is giving you a new medication to contact your neurologist as the neurologist has said there are some medications you shouldn't take (but that you don't know what they are).

How I actually figured out about the steroids was when I was getting shots in my back for an issue I was having. On average I have about 7 seizures a month but when I was getting the shots I was having around 10. The steroid shots weren't helping so I stopped getting them and after that the number of seizures I had each month dropped back to my average number. That's when I put two and two together.

My neuro noticed the drop in seizures and I told him about the steroids. He said that's what was probably causing the increased amount.

I did decide to take the steroids for the poison ivy because it was very bad. I had seizures while I was on them but luckily I only had to take the steroids for a week.

I was having problems with my bladder then a doctor told me the secret.

Cranberry juice works for bladder control. Try it!!

I take Hormone replacement and plus I used cream in the past I not heard of this.I know on nearly every medication apart from e they say be careful in case but that covering themselves.
I used water you boil pearl barely in and I know sweet potato have estogen in.I would thought the bladder or wee problem be more of a trigger.
I been called into see doc apparently got kidney problems and think I been drinking to much orange juice and ph of pee. To acid could that be something you maybe doing

An extra thanks for your replies. My problem is more related to post menopause urethritis than an actual infection. It is great if you can tolerate hormones because you will probably need them after menopause. Good luck!

I am 72 years old. I am post menopause.

Cranberries or cranberry juice is what works!! Ask your doctor.

I not far away from you in age....I been told many many things about cranberry juice it was the saviour of women at one point now it thought not to be.

Last edited:
link got problems....I ended up going from urethtis to the illumatai

. It is great if you can tolerate hormones because you will probably need them after menopause. Good luck!

Some women with E have a horrible time with hormones. My menopause was awful. I couldn't tolerate estrogen. It is known that for some, hormones DO make seizures worse. They certainly did for me. My PMS was bad as was every phase of womanhood when it came to seizures. I've been thru menopause and still have seizures.

For more info:
http://www.epilepsy.com/information/women/menopause-and-epilepsy

An extra thanks for your replies. My problem is more related to post menopause urethritis than an actual infection. It is great if you can tolerate hormones because you will probably need them after menopause. Good luck!

The D-Mannose is totally hormone free. It can be used a bunch at once for an infection or it can also be used a little bit on a regular basis for keeping the "pipes" in good working order. (I'm post M too)

I have interstitial cystitis & cranberry juice is definitely not good for that.

The D-Mannose is totally hormone free. It can be used a bunch at once for an infection or it can also be used a little bit on a regular basis for keeping the "pipes" in good working order. (I'm post M too)

Where do you d-mannose from

Back
Top Bottom