Need help asap!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Sorry to sound so urgent, but I sort of am. I just convinced one of our local newspapers to do a story about Epilepsy! But I need to write it. So I need your help. I'd want to know what YOU want the world to know, as the person with E, with or without another disorder, and if you are a supporter in this battle. I will send you off what I have for you to proof read it when I have gathered ideas and stories.

Thanks Everyone

P.S. This is for the Manitoban, our University paper, So potential doctors and nurses will see this!

I feel that....

A big part is to define epilepsy & let the general public that it does not always mean "convulsions" and does NOT mean brain damage

also.....

to not define epilepsy as something you either have or don't have but to convey that everyone has a seizure threshold that can determine the probability of having a seizure.

I think it would be good to explain that people have seizures in different ways, some not so obvious. Too many people hear seizure and only think Grande Mal. Seizures, like people, come in all sizes and shapes.
Another item is to explain that we have limited options for treatment and the side effects vary, but some can affect our moods, emotions, etc.
And also, tell about the dangers of generics and the dangerous practice of insurance and/or government plans that require generics.
Good for you on doing this!

Hi Morgan, Its Rae.

Here is some of the information you were looking for.

The Free Press recently released an article entitled "The Forgotten Disease", in which they speak of Tuberculosis on and around the reserves in Manitoba that was given a blind eye. I think It is time, it light of its Awareness Month, to bring up the forgotten and often misunderstood disorder known as Epilepsy. Attempts were made to contact other newspapers and radio station in Winnipeg. All attempts were ignored.

Epilepsy is a devastating neurological disease characterized by abnormal brain activity and recurring seizures, which affects 1 out of every 100 people. That's approx 270+ U of M students/teachers, 3 million Canadians and 50 million men, women and children worldwide—more than multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and Parkinson's disease combined.

Epilepsy has several causes. Anything that disrupts the normal functioning of the brain can lead to seizures. Seizures may occur as a sign of a wide variety of medical conditions (e.g., cerebral palsy, Alzheimer’s disease, muscular dystrophy), illnesses (e.g., heatstroke, kidney failure) or due to use of certain medications. However, because of the complex nature of the brain, roughly half of all seizures have no known cause. We need to raise awareness to vastly lower that percentage.

There are over 20 different types of seizures *recently re-catagorized* and unlimited causes for Epilepsy, and numerous disorders, diseases, infections and illness that have seizures as a symptom.

Tonic–clonic seizures are sometimes referred to as grand–mal seizures. The most powerful type of seizure, tonic–clonic seizures are a combination of two types of seizures that often occur together: tonic seizures (in which muscles contract) and clonic seizures (spasms in which muscles periodically contract then partially relax). This is the type of seizure most often portrayed in movies, faked, made fun of, and joked about. It is a common misconception that bystanders should insert something into the mouth of a person who is having a grand-mal type seizure to stop him/her biting the tongue. In fact, this can be a serious choking hazard for the person having the seizure and may break their teeth, jaw, or the object, resulting in further, unnecessary injury. Bystanders should clear hazards from the area and, if vomit, excess saliva, or mucus are present, turn the person on his or her side into the recovery position, once the seizure has stopped or slowed.

The symptoms of seizures vary widely depending on the area of the brain involved in the seizure. Some people experience such dramatic symptoms as loss of consciousness and severe muscle contractions. However, others may experience symptoms such as hallucinations, strange tastes in the mouth or sudden, intense emotions. Others may act out, fidget with hands or clothing, be confused, slur or unable to form words, stutter, roll their eyes, or seem as if they are "spacing out". Most seizures take place while the person appears conscious, although this is sometimes the case, the actions being done are completely uncontrolled and they may be unresponsive.

A serious complication of epilepsy is called status epilepticus, a condition whereby a person has a longer than average seizure or never regains consciousness between seizures. People with epilepsy have a higher risk of status epilepticus, although it can also occur in people with no prior history of seizures. The ability of people to recover from status epilepticus depends on how quickly they receive appropriate medical intervention (e.g., administration of medication). Because of the little knowledge in society regarding appropriate action, this can sometimes lead to death.

With such a stigma surrounding this disorder, many people chose to hide it, and refuse to talk about it. This greatly sets back our goal to raise awareness. There are people who believe that people with epilepsy are drug and alcohol abusers, demon possessed or sacrilegious, contagious, and mentally ill. EVERYONE has a seizure threshold, it is just a matter of finding that out, and trying to raise it. Although depression and bi-polar disorder are common in people with epilepsy, it does not happen in all cases. This depression mostly arises from the outcast feeling that most of society places on them. It is a hush hush subject, including with immediate family. People ignore it when the subject is brought up, and even claim the people are just using this for attention. The problem is that this disorder is NOT getting enough attention. and what it is getting is negative.

Think about your circle of friends and family. If you know 100 people or more, chances are you know someone with epilepsy, or a disroder that causes seizures. Do they not deserve to have their story heard?

Please contact The Manitoba Epilepsy and Seizure Foundation for more information and to make a donation to help find a cure, and better the quality of life. You can make a different. Even if you show this article to 5 of your friends. Heck, even 1 friend will make a difference.

Thanks for reading.

And that

there are a LOT of different types of seizures that many people are not aware of.

On top of that, seizure first aid.

Support forums and chapters do exist now.

And yet even though there are more people with a seizure disorder than people with multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's and cerebral palsy put together, we don't get nearly the funding that they do........

definatly the different seizure types and that its discouraging when people in the medical profession dont even know them.

That not everyone with epilepsy has convlusions

If you see someone in the street looking confused and mentally ill.. it may well be a seizure and not a mental illness.

Perhaps some of the different triggers also.

Its awesome you are writing this !

Great stuff Rae! Way to "seize" the initiative. I agree with Meetz about seizure first aid. Many folks think that you have to restrain someone who is convulsing, that you have to put something in their mouth to keep them from swallowing their tongue, and that a tonic-clonic seizure is always a hospital emergency. Also a lot of people think epilepsy is a form of mental illness (a whole different category of stigma unfortunately), or that it is a progressive disease. I tell my friends that epilepsy is a bit like asthma. It's a condition that lies in wait. Because of the risks associated with an attack, a certain level of vigilance is required. But it's not necessarily an all-consuming part of one's life, and is certainly not the defining characteristic.

OK, it

looks really good, Rae--except a couple of things.

Near the beginning, you talk about causes:

Epilepsy has several causes. Anything that disrupts the normal functioning of the brain can lead to seizures. Seizures may occur as...

but in the next line you sort of contradict yourself.

There are over 20 different types of seizures *recently re-catagorized* and unlimited causes for Epilepsy, ...

You should turn a seizing grand mal/tonic clonic patient on their side anyway, just in case the fluids do come up.

...many people chose to hide it, and refuse to talk....
Shouldn't chose be choose? I might be wrong......

Oh, and what about SUDEP?? Can you bring that into the article at all, or will there be enough room? I know that there's a limited amount of room, my grandfather was a newspaper editor before he died....

I think you did a GREAT job, Rae. Thanks for what you're doing!!

Meetz
:rock:

I want people to know that medication is NOT the only answer for a seizure disorder. It in fact can create more problems in some cases. Especially if the seizures are not occurring due to misfiring in the brain.

Oh yesss!!!

Robin's got a great point!!! Diet, neurofeedback, relaxation......I'm forgetting something. But Robin can help you with specifics of the diets better than anyone else here.....:)

Please contact The Manitoba Epilepsy and Seizure Foundation for more information and to make a donation to help find a cure, and better the quality of life. You can make a different. Even if you show this article to 5 of your friends. Heck, even 1 friend will make a difference.

Thanks for reading.

Great job Rae! You rock. This is really going to get the word out in Winnipeg. I have a friend who works at the U of M so I'm going to talk to him, I'm sure he will promote the article and spread the word when it is published.

You're doing a great thing here Rae.

I did notice one spelling mistake - "You can make a difference" instead of different.

RobinN has some great points - it would be good to have other treatments than medicine mentioned in the article if possible.

Chris

I want people to know that medication is NOT the only answer for a seizure disorder. It in fact can create more problems in some cases. Especially if the seizures are not occurring due to misfiring in the brain.

I agree but I think that fact should be saved for an article aimed at people with epilepsy. For this article it's a bit off topic.

I disagree Eric, because time and again I am looked at with scorn because Rebecca is not on any med. I want people to understand that there are many reasons for seizures and many ways to deal with it. The first line of attack seems to only be drugs and that is the first question Rebecca and I am asked.
It is assumed that I am a bad parent, not doing my job, if my child is not on meds.
It is even an underlying tone with some here, and luckily I have a strong conviction regarding this, otherwise my sensitive side would make me question what I am doing.

I'm shocked that people would react like that Robin.

I have the opposite problem that even people who know about my seizures never consider that I would do/take something to control them.

Happens a lot in hospitals. People pass judgement on choices made quite quickly.

Seizures

"There are around 40 different types of seizure"

"It is also possible for some people to be misdiagnosed with epilepsy, because there are a number of other conditions which can cause episodes or attacks that look like an epileptic seizure. Examples of these can include vertigo, faints and heart disturbances."
http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/seizures/index.html

"Don't put anything in the person’s mouth" when they are having a seizure.
http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/firstaid.html

Last edited:
Andrew - I just posted on epilepsy.org.uk
They had a gross error on their page titled Possible Seizure Triggers. They state:
There is no evidence to suggest certain foods can trigger seizures. Diet is not generally thought to have an effect on seizure control. Missing meals or fasting, however, can make someone more likely to have a seizure.

There are various situations in which someone may want to fast, be it for health or religious reasons. You will need to be aware of the risk of having seizures if you decide to fast.

So not true.

Rae,

Here's a letter I wrote to my local news outlets. Feel free to use it or any part of it:

NOVERBER IS EPILEPSY AWARENESS MONTH

Here are some facts that I think you will find especially illuminating:

Epilepsy affects over 3 million Americans of all ages – more than multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and Parkinson’s disease combined. Almost 500 new cases of epilepsy are diagnosed every day in the United States. Epilepsy affects 50,000,000 people worldwide.

In two-thirds of patients diagnosed with epilepsy, the cause is unknown.

Epilepsy can develop at any age and can be a result of genetics, stroke, head injury, and many other factors.

In over thirty percent of patients, seizures cannot be controlled with treatment. Uncontrolled seizures may lead to brain damage and death. Many more have only partial control of their seizures.

The severe epilepsy syndromes of childhood can cause developmental delay and brain damage, leading to a lifetime of dependency and continually accruing costs—both medical and societal.

It is estimated that up to 50,000 deaths occur annually in the U.S. from status epilepticus (prolonged seizures), Sudden Unexplained Death in Epilepsy (SUDEP), and other seizure-related causes such as drowning and other accidents.

The mortality rate among people with epilepsy is two to three times higher than the general population and the risk of sudden death is twenty-four times greater.

Recurring seizures are also a burden for those living with brain tumors and other disorders such as cerebral palsy, mental retardation, autism, Alzheimer’s disease, stroke, multiple sclerosis, tuberous sclerosis, and a variety of genetic syndromes.

There is a strong association between epilepsy and depression: more than one of every three persons with epilepsy will also be affected by depression, and people with a history of depression have a higher risk of developing epilepsy.

Historically, epilepsy research has been under-funded. Federal dollars spent on research pale in comparison to those spent on other diseases, many of which affect fewer people than epilepsy.

For many soldiers suffering traumatic brain injury on the battlefield, epilepsy will be a long-term consequence.

We need your help. In fact we need EVERYBODY’S help…to spread information to those uninformed and misinformed…to raise awareness . We need friends, we need advocates, we need support, we need you.

For further information, please contact The Epilepsy Foundation of Eastern Pennsylvania, at 215-629-5003 or click on www.efepa.org.

Thank you.

Phylis Feiner Johnson
Epilepsy Advocate
www.pfj@pfjohnson.com
www.epilepsytalk.com

I disagree Eric, because time and again I am looked at with scorn because Rebecca is not on any med. I want people to understand that there are many reasons for seizures and many ways to deal with it. The first line of attack seems to only be drugs and that is the first question Rebecca and I am asked.
It is assumed that I am a bad parent, not doing my job, if my child is not on meds.
It is even an underlying tone with some here, and luckily I have a strong conviction regarding this, otherwise my sensitive side would make me question what I am doing.

lol.. I can so relate. On one of Jennifers hospital stays I had some child agency "visit" us as she had "heard" I had my daughter on a "crazy" diet. After I explained, and Im sure they checked : ) all was well. I've have at least 3 medical folks look at me as if I am a nutjob to have her on MAD. Oh well.. its working for us.

If you're a bad parent Robin, I can only hope to be your level of badness : )

Be well
joan*

Back
Top Bottom