Neurofeedback question.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Can you get Neurofeedback if you do not have seizures that show up on eeg? I have had a ton of seizures without any of them showing up on an eeg. So would I be a candidate?

Yup... you would be a good candidate.
Rebecca's showed abnormality showed up on one EEG and not on the other four. What you need to be able to explain, to the clinician, is how your seizures typically occur. This gives them an understanding of where in the brain they begin.

Neurofeedback is also used for migraines which are now classified in the seizure family, so there wouldn't be abnormal brain activity in that case either.... Well in my case there likely could be.. abnormal that is. :bigsmile:

Anyone can use EEG neurofeedback. Professional athletes use it to enhance their performances (seeking optimal performance).

The first session you have should include a QEEG to map your brain activity. The subsequent sessions should be tailored to the results of the QEEG.

The first session you have should include a QEEG to map your brain activity. The subsequent sessions should be tailored to the results of the QEEG.

QEEG - is also known as BEEM EEG; full name is
Quantitative Electroencephalogram, which is a
computerized EEG.

This is not to be confused with qEEG which is
a lowercase "q" which is Quantum EEG which is
an older computerized EEG (these came out before
the QEEG).

Just adding to Bernard's post to those who are
wondering what a QEEG is.

Robin -

After reading about how well things are going with your daughter and Neurofeedback, I have decided to do some research on it. The closest place to us is 61 miles from here. I just don't like the side effects caused by the meds. I watched the side effects of meds decrease my daughter's quality of life for so long. I don't want to see this happen to Nicole.

Our next appointment with the Neuro is 5 months away and I want to have enough research so I can talk to her about it.

I did it before talking with our neurologist. I know I am a rebel.

Ours is 34 miles, but I think I would drive 100 mi, now that I know the positive results.

Bernard, I don't believe that the QEEG was done with Rebecca. Hers is called a QIK CPT
Qik Cpt is a computerized visual continuous performance test developed for assessing attention and impulse control The EEG Expert Report on QikCpt is specifically intended for use by neurofeedback clinicians for assessment and monitoring the effects of EEG training.
I was told they will do another one at the end of her therapy.

Stacy's practitioner called her mapping session a QEEG, but I'm guessing it was similar to what you described. The important point is that they should do some sort of mapping to establish a baseline of what's happening in the brain.

We also have to drive one hour to get to Stacy's neurofeedback practitioner (in good traffic). In our case, it's not so much the distance, but the fact that we have to drive through/across the city of Houston that makes the journey rough. We normally hit rush hour traffic on the way back. :eek: Still, it is worth it. :twocents:

Back
Top Bottom