Neurology Appointment - pointers?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey all,

Finally, I made an appointment to see a Neurologist - I made the appointment weeks ago and only opening they had was July 3rd or August 15th, guess which one I picked, lol....) In any case, the insurance from my new job doesn't kick in until the end of July so my first 'Evaluation' with the neruo is self-pay ($300 - OUCH!) It was explained he doesn't do any tests during this first visit... but... is there anything I should expect from a first-visit evaluation with a Neurologist? Anything I should bring? I also don't have a primary care doctor as of yet either(I never have need of one really and last couple times I saw cheap primary doctors for epilepsy it led absolutely bloody nowhere so I just bit the bullet and made a neurology appointment...)

Hmmm....

Thoughts?

My only suggestion right now is to write down all your questions in advance.

:agree:
And be prepared to write down the answers too. You might want to have your epilepsy history and general health history handy. Make sure the neuro lets you talk and really listens. Don't leave the appointment until you feel all of your concerns have been addressed. And ask how to get in touch with the doc if you have additional questions. If he's available by email that's a huge plus.

Hello, Andrew: I think any medical records you can have sent in advance of your appointment would be helpful in answering the neurologist's question, "Why did you come to see me?", or, "Why are you here to see me?" Also, with regard to common courtesy (I know it's rare today) but, make sure she or he introduces her/himself and any colleagues. And, like Nakamova says, make sure the neurologist listens and looks at you when you talk, and is not writing, texting, or ignoring you. Finally, bring a list of any prescription & over the counter meds (including vitamins & supplements) you take on a daily basis.

Neurology appt survival guide

You want to bring someone with that has seen your seizures multiple times, and can describe what happens. Get together with them and work out a description of what the seizure looks like. Start with your aura- where do you feel it, what does it feel like, do you do things that tell people that you are about to have a seizure? How long does it last? Then what do you do? Do you start on the right, or the left, turn your head, smack your lips? Do you stiffen, shake, jerk, go flaccid? How long does it last? And after the seizure ends, how are you feeling?

Also, your current meds, a list of meds that you've been on before, and any reactions to any of them that you remember?

Any sort of MRI's that you have on a CD. The neurologist needs to actually be able to see what your brain looks like. Reports of any EEGs.

If you have all of that then your visit will run itself. The neurologist will be in awe of your preparedness and insight, and will treat you with respect.

Neurologists get paid jack sqwat. They are there because they want to help you, and they want to work with you.

Back
Top Bottom