new dilantin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi back to you Jerry
Welcome to CWE. We haven't had experience with that particular drug, though I am sure someone here has. A site that I like to look at when I am researching a drug, (along with many others) is
www.askapatient.com
I hope you pull up a chair and stay a while. Loads of info here too.

Hi back to you Jerry
Welcome to CWE. We haven't had experience with that particular drug, though I am sure someone here has. A site that I like to look at when I am researching a drug, (along with many others) is
www.askapatient.com
I hope you pull up a chair and stay a while. Loads of info here too.

Thanks for this website Robin :clap:

anybody here having trouble with the new dilantin?

The only difference is; Dilantin has
changed the appearance from the old
all white with orange band Kapseals
to the new design.

It has caused much confusion within
and without because for so many years
people were "used" seeing Dilantin
in this manner and style.

The only complaints are - is the people
are complaining that they don't like
the "new design" and are afraid of it.
But no one's complained about the
Dilantin medication itself; other than
the usual typical complaints that were
the same before the change of its
appearance / design.

AND ... welcome to CWE Jerry!

Glad to hear no one is complaining about the new dilantin. Another forum I go to has alot of complaints. People have said they know someone that has died or had grand mal seizure because the new dilantin is poorly manufactured.

Jerry:

Here you go:

Dilantin from Epilepsy.com

dilatin_100_new.gif

NEW Dilantin above that replaces
the below OLD Dilantin

dilatin_100.gif

I'm so glad It's not new, otherwise my Dr. would be changing my meds agian(none of my meds work) WHEW!!

I've been taking the new dilantin and get that same feeling when I was took the generic for awhile. This dilantin is not the same. I read on another site it is now manufacured in Puerto Rico. I've been taking pheno and dilantin since I was 12, I'm now 53. They left an ingredient out this recipe. I'm not freaked out about the new look of the capsule, I'm above that. I'm not happy with this at all. Please write me back. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Jerry,

I've been on Dilantin for a while now, and if it works.... you know the rest.

Oh... welcome to the forum. :)

I've never heard of that med, as I've said, I've been taking dilantin and pheno since I was 12, I'm now 53. I don't care about gabapentin, I care if Phizer decided to screw around with a proven formula thats been around for 100 years. We know the generic dilantin doesn't work for many, why mess around with brand. Anybody on this site can email me anytime [via PM] and we'll talk. PS To Robin, I'm in Burbank.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't know yet if the new dilantin will be as effective as the old. There has to be more of a difference than just the color of the capsule. The apsorbtion rate could be completely different. Your body becomes accustomed to a particular pill. I only hope the only difference is the package. Dilantin was the gold standard for seizure control until 1970. Not one neuro knows if other drugs are better than dilantin. They know other new drugs work, but have no idea if any drug is better than dilantin. There has never been a study for that.

I've been on Dilantin / Phenytoin
for decades. The only reason why
I am not on it is because it has now
wrecked a havoc on my teeth and
gums - a known side effect.

FRANK:

From YOUR POSTINGS - you have
been repetitiously stating you have
been taking Dilantin for a long period
of time, it may be very well possible
you may be experiencing side effects
from Dilantin. I would have a heart
to heart talk with your Neurologist
or Epileptologist, whichever one is
prescribing you the medication; it
may be a time to change your meds.

You stated that you are now 53 years
of age after having been on it since 12.
I am NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR, but I
am assuming now that your body is
aging, like mine is, and changing,
it may be a high time to make an
adjustment - or change to something
else. Your body may very well be
starting to develop a tolerance to it.

I am currently on Zonegran/Klonopin
with Folic Acid. I can no longer take
Dilantin anymore as wonderful as it
was, for it had been so good to me.

Again, Frank - I would recommend