New happeningS

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gal109

New
Reaction score
Today I had a seizure lasting 25 mins and recently I ve had different length seizures and had salivating and my eyes have been open for the majority of the time ns the start has been long total absence to start then convulsions and pupils very dilated today it was pupils so dilated and foaming at the mouth my fam rung 999 then the 1st ambulance girl gave me diazapam rectally, the other two ambs were like y did she do that and they thought it was pseudo seize custhats what my notes said but the hosp docs weren't too sure my point is do these things. - frothing eyes dialysing and the fact the diazapam stopped the fit does this add up to be non epileptic? Getting referred to a seizure centre and I have abnormalities in my temperol lobe but no obvious epileptic stuff but like sharp transient waves unusual stuff and the tests I ha I wasn't having these seizures! The diazapam knocked me flat but it. Stopped the seizures for that time being currently having many a day, please answer my advise !!!!

The difference between epileptic seizures and Psychogenic non-epileptic seizures (pseudoseizures) can be difficult to recognize, even for trained medical professionals. But it seems to me that the frothing + open eyes + therapeutic response to diazepam = epileptic seizure. The frothing comes from excess saliva generated during an epileptic seizure. And studies have documented that the eyes remain open in every tonic–clonic and hypermotor seizure but are closed in almost 90% of pseudoseizures.

Thanks so much for ur response I think I have both but I'm not sure :/ how long would it take for the diazepam I work if given rectually (sorry!) cus it stopped me convulsing very quick and completely knocked me flat didn't know who I was basics! But I really believe I am having epileptic seizures even go its not showing, if I have an EEG while the seizure goes on and nothing shows is it absolutely sure that it's not epilepsy cus I herd it can come from deep in the brain?

I was so angry when I heard the other ambos talkin but :/ problem is I'm on sodium valproate for bipolar and quetiapine but I wondering why the valproate isn't stopping the seizures if they're epilepsy but I think I might be having non epileptic seizures and epileptic seizures if this is poss?

1. It's definitely possible for the EEG to miss abnormal brainwaves if they are too transient (brief), or if they originate too deep in the brain. Certain kinds of epilepsy (such as Frontal Lobe Epilepsy) are especially difficult to pick up on an EEG.

2. It's possible to have both epileptic and non-epileptic seizures.

3. The sodium valproate might or might not stop epileptic seizures -- not every medication works every person. It could also be that the valproate dose it too low to stop any epileptic activity. (Doses prescribed for treating Bipolar Disorder are often lower than those prescribed for Epilepsy).

What are the symptoms of frontal lobe? And I'm on
900 was 1000 a day but on 1000 the levels go too high in my blood

Frontal lobe seizures can take all sorts of forms (partials and grand mals), but they can also produce unusual symptoms. They often occur during sleep, and can feature repetitive movements like bicycle pedaling motions, rocking, and pelvic thrusting. Some people scream profanities or laugh during them.

For seizures, the standard Valproate range is 750 to 3,000 mg/day.

How do frontal lie epileptics get dianosed ? If he eegs are clear and I think a lot of different things are happening especially depersonalisation

Just had another tonic clinic type seizure, but mine seem to last long, do epileptic ones ever last long such as 15/20 and I m not incontinent.

Would the Valium I had earlier not impact on other seizures as I was hoping that I wouldn't have had another 2night but I felt it coming on then it hit:(

1. If the EEG is clear, the neurologist makes a diagnosis based on your symtpoms.

Most tonic-clonic seizures last 2 minutes or less, but unconsciousness can last for several minutes after the convulsion has ended. 15-20 minutes seems on the long side. A tonic-clonic seizure lasting more than five minutes, or one immediately followed by a second seizure, is considered a medical emergency in most people.

Any anti-seizure meds might or might not help -- everyone responds differently and at different dosages. If the meds aren't helping it could be a sign that the seizures are non-epileptic, or it could be a sign that the wrong med or too low a dose is being used.

Some meds can make seizures worse -- do you mean anti-seizure meds, or other kinds of meds?

I was originally on the meds for bipolar cus I wasn't having fits then. Every seizure i have is different, The convulsions ones like start sometimes go absence straight into convulsing for few mins up to 5 then stop then stiffening teeth grinding puffed cheeks salivating and some other variants, other times I go absent for a few mins then convulse for a few mins then it's byclcying or a more relaxes period then more convulsing salivating then it ends he convulsing is never like 20 mins it's a short ish time the seizures seem to progress and have different phases if u will

Epileptic and non-epileptic seizures can be very similar. But non-epileptic seizures usually differ from true seizures in a few ways:
1. Non-epileptic seizures produce repeatedly normal EEG readings between seizures.
2. Non-epileptic seizures can feature violent unsynchronized thrashing of all four limbs during an episode.
3. Non-epileptic seizures tend to change in character over time and last longer than epileptic seizures.
4. Non-epileptic seizures also occur only in wakefulness, whereas epileptic seizures occur in wake and sleep.
5. Anti-epileptic drugs do not stop non-epileptic seizures.

It sounds like your symptoms may overlap both kinds of seizures, so it's important to give as much info as possible to the docs about what you are experiencing, and what effects the meds are having.

What do they do to treat mon epileptic seizures because I do t think talking CBt. Wuld help? And how is Frntl lobe e diagnosed? Where can I find a neuro who is willing to dignpse on symptoms not tests? And what can u do to reduce the likely hood of seizures?

My brother got an electric shock off my eyelid which seems odd? Or is that nothin

Non-epileptic seizures are treated by counseling/therapy such as CBT, and occasionally by meds like anti-anxiety meds or anti-depressants.

Frontal Lobe Epilepsy is diagnosed like the other kinds -- by tests such as EEG and MRI, and by clinical symptoms.

Finding a good neurologist is no easy task, regardless of the diagnosis. If you're not happy with your current one, ask your GP for a referral to get a second or even third opinion.

I'm on my third first one was beyond useless and rude ! But I read that deep frontal love epilepsy doesn't show on eegs or scans so how do they find out?

Back
Top Bottom