new on HELP!keppra, mood swings and other side effects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm 30, been siezure free from my grand mals for 3yrs controled by 600mg lamictal and zarontin. In january I started having petiti mals again(haven't had them since I was 15) and bad jerks. Went to new nuero and he added keppra. Been on it for aweek now. Still having the peti mal and jerks(I know it takes a while to have effect). My issue is that I have been having side effects. I am SO sleepy which I know happens but my boyfriend has told me and I do see that I am having really BAD mood swings. Bad as in RAGE! I can turn really fast. It has been more towards him then others but I did snap at neighbors for just helping me. My boyfriend thinks I should just have them stop messing with my meds b/c of the rage. Its not worth it but I'm not sure. It just puzzles me so much after so long me having the seizures again. I have a 24hr eeg planned today so hopefully it will give some answers. This is really doing damage to my relationship with him. We have 2daughters so we have to put them FIRST. Whats going to be best for them. I'm clueless on what to do and so is he. Any idea's on what to do?

Hi Jessacm,

Sorry to hear about the increase in seizures. They often can/do change for many people after being controlled for several years. The Keppra is well known to cause depression/rage, ie Kepprage. Give it another week or two and if it doesn't settle down, talk to your dr. about it. There are plenty of other meds out there. Have your boyfriend talk with the dr. also about the side effects of meds so maybe he will have a bit more patience and understanding. Most meds will leave one feeling sleepy/tired for the first few weeks and it takes a time for the body to adjust.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I suffered through Keppra for 7months! It effected the entire family. When I went in for my 5day neeg they took me off completely on day 1. By the end of the second day I could already feel myself turning into the person I was before Keppra. My visit there angered me greatly but I feel I reacted appropriately, whereas if the Keppra was still in my system they may have put me in a straight jacket for as mad as I was. I left the hospital 8 days ago and decided not to take the Keppra. Yes no meds on board now. It is scary to think I did that but I can't believe how bad the Keppra made me feel. I thought for sure my neuro would have called me on the Monday after (they said they would). Since they didn't I just said screw it I'll wait until the 16th (my followup) and get put on yet another new poison to try then :( . That will be almost 2weeks no meds because my neuro office hasn't called me back!

I feel for you and you will find great support out here. When people really understand what your feeling and going through based on going through it themselves it makes a difference. I hope things get figured out for you. Brainstorm as well and see if you can pinpoint a trigger for he pedi mals. Even consider diet changes, anything really.

Keep us posted.

Personally, I'd take petit mal and jerks over daily keppra side effects. That rage and moodiness will eventually affect your children. Just the way I feel about it. At the very least try a different medicine.

thank you all. I know that side effects sometimes go away after afew weeks but not sure we can handle it. My boyfriend has never been though the whole changing around my meds. They were pretty controled and I have been on the same meds for 11yrs. Took me off one when I had got pregnant with my first so he does consider that but I disagree b/c it was different from when I started having siezures at 12yrs. going though the different meds which took 4yrs. We are going around with it. 'm not sure if me having the peti mals and jerks everyday is a good idea but not a good idea to have my meds do this to us. I have dropped boiling pots,cut my finger bad doing dishes, broke dishes and typing is so hard now. The "lossing time" with the petiti mals just effects you.but on the other hand your family being scared of you is really bad. I'm so glad I'm not the only one having the rage with this. I thought I was just going crazy! I can't keep my thoughts straight. Just hope this eeg explains something. They did one before I started the keppra so it will be a before and after. Told my boyfriend to try and get me mad tonight...lol want be to hard. Just to see what its doing. thanks

not sure if me having the peti mals and jerks everyday is a good idea but not a good idea to have my meds do this to us. I have dropped boiling pots,cut my finger bad doing dishes, broke dishes and typing is so hard now. The "lossing time" with the petiti mals just effects you.but on the other hand your family being scared of you is really bad.

Are these Complex partial seizures? Or simple partial? And haven't you had TC (grand mal) seizures, too? Going off meds could increase the TC seizures. If your family is scared you need to sit down and explain what is going on and instruct them what to do in case of seizures.

I've had seizures for over 30 years and my now grown children witnessed CP and TC seizures when they were growing up. They even had to call 911 several times. I burned myself while cooking and had to have skin graft and have had black eyes and many bruises and other injuries from seizures.

You have to weigh the risks!

I haven't had a grand mal is over 3yrs. The docs are doing the eeg to figure out what kind (complex, partials)I'm having. I wouldn't think of stopping all my meds just the keppra. I know the risk on doing that. My girls are "trained" in seizure first aid since there were little(they are 10 and 6 now). They have seen the grand mals and know what to do. The petiti mals are new to them. and my youngest has learned to play me. coming in with cookies saying I was standing there when she got them and I just can't remember. My memory has got bad. I got 3rd degree burns on my hands and belly from a bad grand mal when my oldest was a baby. God was looking out for us that day. I'm hoping for some answers with this eeg today.

I haven't had a grand mal is over 3yrs. The docs are doing the eeg to figure out what kind (complex, partials)I'm having. I wouldn't think of stopping all my meds just the keppra. I know the risk on doing that. My girls are "trained" in seizure first aid since there were little(they are 10 and 6 now). They have seen the grand mals and know what to do. The petiti mals are new to them. and my youngest has learned to play me. coming in with cookies saying I was standing there when she got them and I just can't remember. My memory has got bad. I got 3rd degree burns on my hands and belly from a bad grand mal when my oldest was a baby. God was looking out for us that day. I'm hoping for some answers with this eeg today.

Even if you haven't had a TC in over 3 years, your kids need to know how to handle ALL types of seizures. My two were trained since they were very young to handle TC's also, but they witnessed many CP's, too, and knew what to do. It didn't scare them.

I also suffered 3rd degree burns on my back, arm and breast from my 1st TC seizure 30 years ago while stepping out of the shower. I fell and hit the hot water long enough to suffer the burns.

I've got kepprage really bad. I just snap at people. I really can't be around young kids any more because they just drive me crazy and I can't handle how they act.

I screamed at my friend's little girl like crazy once because she was coloring on my coffee table. The poor little girl started bawling crying. Once I calmed down and we got her calmed down I cleaned off the table (the crayon came of very easy) and found her a coloring book.

I even have problems going to family events because there are alot of kids at them. I've yelled at the kids there too for doing kid things. My parents have even told me that I better control myself at these things or just not go. So I know what you mean about your family being scared of you!

I sleep alot too. I'm on a few other meds along with the keppra and I know that one of the side effect of them is tiredness.

Its so crazy that before I went to my new neuro I have been reading up on all the other meds and read good things about keppra, but now I know better. My kids are the only ones I don't really snap at. Its my boyfriend that gets it. He just tries to help and try to calm me down but I don't see it until I do calm down. I don't like being so sleepy. when I have no energy to play with my kids is just as bad as me getting so mad.

My son is on Keppra for over 2 years. When he first started Keppra, he was a different kid. 3 days after starting Keppra, our epileptologist prescribed vitamin B6 along with his Keppra and he was back to his normal self that day. Ask your neuro about a B6 supplement.

I had problems with Keppra too, and I really understand the localized anger, my girlfriend was spared, at first. It may seem tolerable seem now, that your boyfriend can take it or your kids are fine. Can't say I understand having children, but even the people you don't rage on are still affected; they see you raging on someone they care about. If Keppra is negatively affecting your personality, and its not the only anticonvulsant that can help you, find another drug. I don't want to sound forceful, but I don't think this should be taken lightly, sorry. :/

im like this on keppra so so so tired and i take rages with my bf aswell, its hard to cope but they may stick you on another tab that could be worse! thats what im scared off i got a feeling they all as bad as each other

UPDATE: I am DONE with the keppra! On my way to have the eeg taken off yesterday I went into a really BAD rage. Cused out my ride and was so mad I have hurt my neck muscles.I was ready to throw punches at the next person who looked at me wronge. I am not someone to act like that. My neuro was in the same building so I went there after they took it off and told them I was done. I have an appoinment for with him in 2weeks so I will see then what the EEG said and go from there. I'm not sure weather I want to try something else. I tried about every med out there when I first started having seizures when I was 12.It took 4yrs to find the right combo and I had 2 strokes durning that time. My boyfriend thinks I should just stick to the Lamictal and Zarontin and not try anything else. Thinking that is the best thing but I will decide after the appoinment. I went into coma a year ago for 9hr. and the doctors chouldn't explain it. Last week I had an appoinment with my family doc. I remember signing in and woke up in the ER so I know something is wrong. I just don't know at this point. wait on the results is the best thing for right now. My family comes first. keep ya'll updated. thank you It been really helpful.

Got a call from neuro...he wants to start me on Vimpat? anybody know anything about it? I'm going to do some deep research before I take it.

I've been on keppra for 5 days and the temper crept in yesterday. Two mornings in a row I've woken hubby up snapping at him. I just stormed away from playing Mario Kart on the Wii because I was doing so poorly. I'm tired and crabby and have spent so many years addressing my anger issues I don't need thus now.

Maidenminx, OMG that is just what I went though last week!! You sit down and can't keep your eyes open? I would just snap! It was just really to my boyfriend and he kept telling me the meds were making me crazy and that just made it worse. Even though he would tell me he wants me better,loves me and just wants to help. When I went off on strangers bad Tuesday I knew he was right I knew I was DONE!! I had told my neuro last week when I went to my family doctor remember signing in and waking up in the ER that I was having BAD mood swings, he blew it off. So when I went to after my 24hr eeg taken off tuesday(going off on strangers)I went to there office and they SAW the rage and agreed to should be taken off the keppra. They called yesterday to start the vimpat but I have done my research and keppra is like it so I don't want to take it. I would get off the keppra. I feel better already. I have anger issues too so I think it my have something to do with the rage we have with it. Hang in there and stand your ground with the neuro. My boyfriend would proably tell your hubby to sleep with one eye open..lol

Hubby has been very understanding. He's freaked out by all of this, we've only been going through this since last September. Yes I am sleepy all the time. I nap for up to 5 hours a day. It's ridiculous.
I called my neuro and he's asked me to give it one more week. I see him again on the 20th so I think I can hold out till then.
It's scary though. I'm treating myself with kid gloves at the moment, I refuse to do anything that may set me off. I don't like having to be like this, especially not around my son. Luckily he has been wonderful though all this and understands mummy is sick and knows how to recognise a seizure. It makes me want to cry

Back
Top Bottom