New Lightbulbs...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skillefer

New
Reaction score
Hmmm...just heard a news story on Fox News that says those new energy efficient light bulbs (you, know the ones that are shaped like cork screws) can cause seizures. Just thought I'd let you guys know.... :) Be careful.

skillefer,
Thank you for that info,
I happen to have one of those in the light, it is one of those floor ones with the side and top light, I have that thing one most of the time, can't see well in this Apt. even in broad daylight. And I have been having alot of partial seizures here lately.
Thanks again, Tammy

Yeah...that's what I figured....They're flourescent bulbs aren't they?
I have problems at school because of all of the flourescent light bulbs, not because of seizures, but because of migraines...:ponder:

Yes I read that too... I think at another E forum. They were trying to ban the use of incandescent bulbs, and I went all out and contacted my representative. Not sure if it did any good. I have not seen any difference in Rebecca's seizure pattern due to lights.
Though she did have one at her dance dress rehearsal a while ago, and they were doing a lot of light effects. I think hers is more from diet and stress.

Hmmm...just heard a news story on Fox News that says those new energy efficient light bulbs (you, know the ones that are shaped like cork screws) can cause seizures. Just thought I'd let you guys know.... :) Be careful.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. That could be scary.

Did they specify what it is about them that causes seizures?

Last edited:
Clarification.... I do not believe they cause seizures. I do think however they can trigger it.
For those with light sensitivities is can be a trigger. Just as certain functions on the computer can trigger it. I have been told by some people that walking into WalMart is agony for them due to the lights.

I am going to stick with my incandescent lights. I like the glow they give to my surroundings. I might have to buy them on the black market though, if my govt. thinks they need to regulate this too.

Brandi & Randy's right

Yes, that's why I can't have them around
me for years; they trigger problems.

However, I learned something:
Get the PINK TUBED ONES
if you are stuck with them
(if you're residing in an apartment or house),
you can also get a 'fake' stained glass type
cover instead of those blasted annoying
standard covers as well - they do wonders!

I have one in my kitchen and it helps a lot
to diffuse everything and it emits almost
a 'natural' light. But remember as soon as
the light begins to flicker - REPLACE IT!
If the ballast begins to go bad, REPLACE IT!
That's the GOOD NEWS these days - unlike
the OLD DAYS - you don't have to replace
the whole danged thing like the old days!

HERE IS A TIP FROM ME:

When you flip the switch - look the other
way and not at the light or close your eyes
for a few moments then open slowly. It might
take a few moments to get used to developing
this habit.

But whatever you do, stay away from the white
and blue tubes. Yes there are yellow ones out
there but I find them obnoxious! They seem to
make people 'angry'. Once I took those 4 yellow
ones down, and replaced them with pinks; it was
a lot calmer and since then have been stuck with
them; however, after the divorce, somehow those
blasted whites ended up there and my ballast is
shot - I have to replace the tubes with pinks and
the ballast. *sigh*

Mine in the kitchen is Oak Frame with Stained
Glass and it looks like a "SKY LIGHT" when it's
flipped on. Really nice.

Jeez, me and my mind at times,
We live in a low income, HUD subsidized apartment complex, and every room, the kitchen has two double, the bedrooms (3) the hallway and the bathroom have single ones, the living room doesn't have one. I have noticed at times they do bother me, I have lamps in most of these rooms and very rarely turn on the overhead lights because they do bother me, and now I know why. I don't even think they will let us do anything at all to them.
Maybe if I talk to them about why I need to do that they will let me, but the way they are I doubt it.

Robin,

My seizures have been cotrolled for 28 years but like you said in your above post, I don't know what it is about "WAL MART" but EVERY time I go in there, I get an aura.
No where else ~ just "WAL MART".

Randy

I think someone should contact them and ask them to comment on this. Or perhaps it would make a good story on 60 Minutes.

Hmmmmm.......

I'm thinkin'...skylights?
:ponder:

I don't need to be up after dark anyway, right?

Skylights = cheap source of light and more 'open' feel to the room.

Attention architects: start designing smarter please...less dependency on current 'technological advancements' such as the corkscrew flourescent bulb (which bothers me too...but only because they are so dim in comparison!)...and more incorporation of logic. Let's use what we already have (sunlight...moonlight...reflectivity) to create some interesting structures less reliant on unsustainable energy!
:soap:

Thank you...thank you.....thank you very much.....me and Al are gonna go play some golf now...helluva guy...loves music...as long as it's acoustic on recycled instruments---but whaddya gonna do?...he let's me drive the cart!
:rock:

I agree with Speber

One of the things I did when I lived in an apartment that had minimal light was to put a mirror opposite the only window to try to enhance what little natural light I did get.

One of the things I did when I lived in an apartment that had minimal light was to put a mirror opposite the only window to try to enhance what little natural light I did get.

:clap:

:pop:

<--- waiting for the next post on
the "Sky-lighting Drama"

They also contain mercury, so if they break, you have an environmental hazard to worry about. You can't just throw them in the trash either (without contributing to ground water contamination).

I'm always sceptical about anything the government tells you about these new "politically correct lightbulbs", especially when they have brought in legislation to enforce their sale.

*sniff*sniff* can you smell palms being greased? "ooh... we forgot about the mercury..."

Or am I just too cynical?

What next? Getting a ticket when you fart?

I am due to start a new job soon, which is lit by intense fluorescent lighting and I too have what I believe to be auras (tingling down one side of my head and arm along with loss of focus etc..)

I have been told it may be possible to replace the lights with coated fluorescent or tungsten lights that mimic the colour of 'noon suinlight' (5600K) and wonder if anyone knows whether this would be a solution???

I find it rather confusing...does anyone else have issues with this at work?

Thanks in advance

Lucy

Back
Top Bottom