New Neurologist Appt This Week

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm going to a new neurologist for my first visit later this week. A couple past drs have tended to bombard me with questions & conflicting info and I always felt like I left their office more confused and worried, than before I went in. So this time I want to try and take a different approach. Any suggestions on how to do that? Think it is ok if I write down a couple key points before I get there, that I want to be sure to remember to discuss, since my short-term memory is really struggling lately? Thank you, Anne

I have same problems with short term memory...I always take a list to doctor with me. In fact, he will ask, Where's your list!

I also use a list of questions & even take notes of his answers & any other points I might forget.

If you look at some doctors websites, they say that a list is recommended. It takes less time to "think" about it. It also allows you to have the proper copies with you. For example if you want to discuss a certain inconsistency on some bloodwork, you can have the paperwork with you to point out to the doctor. Many times they don't compare from visit to visit. "So what if the numbers are a bit high this time. No need to worry.... oh but they were quite low the last time.... are we seeing some kind of pattern here?"
Something to keep watch over and possibly a cause.

So yes... notes and lists are important for me.

Hello, Anne!:)

Yes, it's perfectly fine to have topics regarding your care written down. I'd ask: 1.) if your new neurologist can be contacted via email as well as by phone, & by which method he/she would prefer to be contacted; 2.)how to calm side effects of medicine(s) you're taking if they're bothersome, and 3.)what otc (over the counter) meds your neurologist recommends if you need to take any for allergies or colds/flu. These are all the questions I can think of so far, Anne. Hope your new neurologist is easy to get along with and that your appt is very positively productive. ~Ann *PS: Ask your neurologist & physician assistant(if he/she has 1) for their business cards w/ current contact numbers & addresses.

Last edited:
Ok...here's what I would do...This is the info I would have written down, or typed, in order to give to the doctor:
1. Any special dietary issues you have (diabetic/hypoglycemic/food allergies/diets you are on currently)

2. All medicines that you are currently taking (name of medicine, when you take, and how much. ) Oh, this includes vitamins.

3. Any medicine that you take frequently (OTC medicines for allergies and colds...)

4. any allergies you have

5. Any pertinent prior medical history (head injuries, high fevers as a child, medication allergies, recent medical issues in the last 12 months such as infections:basically anything you had to see a doctor for or were hospitalized for in the last 12-24 months.)

6. Which doctor's you have seen, and what they said, as well as the treatment that they prescribed, and tests they've ordered (If you can, have a copy of all of your medical records to give to him.)

Then, make a list of your questions in a notebook and take it with you. Here's some possible questions:

1. Can you please e-mail me reminders for my appointments?

If medication is suggested:

2. What should I avoid eating or drinking while on this med?
3. How fast will this med begin to work?
4. What are some side effects that I should look out for?
5. Are there any vitamins that I should NOT take while on this med?

also, if you are interested in using alternative treatments alongside your medication, ask the doctor if he/she is open to this. If they aren't and you really want to at least be able to discuss it with them, you may need to find yet another doctor.

Doctor history questions...
1. How long have you been practicing?
2. Where did you go to school?
3. Do you deal with many people with epilepsy?
4. do you believe in the use of complimentary therapies?
5. If I call you with a question, how soon can I expect a return call?
6. Which age group do you deal with primarily?

Hi everyone, Just wanted to thank you all for your input to my post. I saw my new neurologist last week, and with the help of your recommendations (and my list :), she was pretty patient with me as I asked the questions I otherwise might not have had the nerve to ask. Thanks again for your encouragement and all your responses. This site really is a great place! -Anne

Back
Top Bottom