new type of seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MAB

New
Reaction score
I have had PS's for 4 1/2 years.

I woke up about an hour ago with a leg cramp. After I worked the leg cramp out I walked over to my dresser for some reason ( I don't know why)and just dropped to the floor and hit the back of my head. My husband said I was standing and in the next second I was on the ground. I don't think I ever lost consciousness. I fainted a couple times many years ago and it was nothing like what happened tonight.

Does this sound like a drop seizure. I am siting on the floor now with a garbage can beside me because i feel like I am going to throw up.

Do you feel like it was a seizure? Could it have been your leg giving out following your leg cramp and the nausea from hitting your head, or do you feel decidedly post-ictal? I don't have drop seizures so I can't give insight there, but I've had new seizure types emerge and I can usually tell it's a seizure just because it has a 'seizure quality' if you know what I mean.

Do you feel like it was a seizure? Could it have been your leg giving out following your leg cramp and the nausea from hitting your head, or do you feel decidedly post-ictal? I don't have drop seizures so I can't give insight there, but I've had new seizure types emerge and I can usually tell it's a seizure just because it has a 'seizure quality' if you know what I mean.

Lindsay, I do think it was a seizure. I've fainted at least twice and almost fainted dozens of times. Always I would have tunnel vision where everything would start to go black and my hearing would start to fade. Also I would remember very little when I came to. It wasn't anything like that this time. Bam, I lost all muscle control and I was on the floor hard but not the least bit confused and I know I regained muscle tone within 10-15 seconds. Every time I have fainted I would have no idea how long I had been out. I don't feel post-ictial though, just the back of my head is sore with a bump. To top it off I went with my DIL to pick up my son today because he had surgery yesterday and I slammed the side of my head into the door frame getting in the van. My head hurt so bad this afternoon I cried.

My neuro seems to think I just fainted though.

You're definitely right about a faint feeling like a faint and not a seizure.

I had a seizure in the hospital on my way up to an appointment with my neurologist, and whoever found me was convinced I'd just fainted.

I was lying on the ground, post-ictal, unable to speak, showing them my appointment letter for the epilepsy clinic- thinking that might make them understand what had happened, but no. They were still asking me things like 'Did you have any breakfast this morning?' *sighs*

What's worse is that by the time I got up to my appointment, my crap neurologist accepted that, even though I was lying on a gurney for 30 minutes recovering, as it's not the done thing to go against the diagnosis of another doctor, however tenuous it may be.

They also don't like to backtrack on a diagnosis they've made themselves, as it shows them up to be wrong.

You're definitely right about a faint feeling like a faint and not a seizure.

I had a seizure in the hospital on my way up to an appointment with my neurologist, and whoever found me was convinced I'd just fainted.

I was lying on the ground, post-ictal, unable to speak, showing them my appointment letter for the epilepsy clinic- thinking that might make them understand what had happened, but no. They were still asking me things like 'Did you have any breakfast this morning?' *sighs*

What's worse is that by the time I got up to my appointment, my crap neurologist accepted that, even though I was lying on a gurney for 30 minutes recovering, as it's not the done thing to go against the diagnosis of another doctor, however tenuous it may be.

They also don't like to backtrack on a diagnosis they've made themselves, as it shows them up to be wrong.
I've thought about it since it happened and I still think it was a seizure. My husband has seen me faint and he said in the past I was wobbly but not this time.

Well it will either happen again or it won't. It's left me a bit scared though, afraid to drive, bake, watch grandson. Also afraid I may hurt myself or someone else. I don't take this lightly because I realize how much my life could change if my seizures change from anything but partial seizures. If I can't drive I loose a lot of freedom and cause much inconvenience for many people. The only thing that possibly makes me think maybe it wasn't is I didn't/don't feel post-ictial.I wouldn't tell her I thought it was drop seizure if I didn't really believe it was. It took numerous trips to doctors before they finally figured out I was having PS's.

IANAD, and don't have atonic seizures myself, but what you've described does sound very similar to the description.

Just because you've had the one doesn't mean they're going to be a regular occurrence now, however, we all know E can be transitory and the symptoms change :(

For now, if your neurologist thinks it was a faint, then fine. Go with that as it doesn't mean the upheaval in your life.

But I would definitely be more cautious as you've described, for a while..

Last edited:
I have atonic seizures pretty often. I usually only get that weird post-ictal feeling if I've had a cluster of them. If I've only had the one I recover pretty much straight away (unless I've hit my head or hurt myself). Sometimes I'll be swaying a little before hand as well, it depends a little on what I'm doing beforehand. Atonics are more likely to develop when you're a kid though, so hopefully it was just a faint or a one time thing for you.

Back
Top Bottom