New type of seizure for me

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
As I was sitting on the couch chatting with my mom, I felt as if I was going to throw up. Then it felt like I pulled every muscle in my back. About five minutes later, she reminded me that I had a seizure, and it wasn't a grand mal.... I had no warning signs at all.

I've never had this type of seizure before. Does anyone know what type this could be? A partial possibly?

I should note that I've been wanting to sleep a lot lately, taking a couple cat naps here and there every day, if that's any help.

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of meds you're on, or your seizure history, even while on your present meds, but I would suggest you call your neurologist, or the neurology nurse, which many hospitals employ.

Thanks for the reply, Denver. My neurologist just increased my Zonegran by 100 mg last Friday, but other than that nothing has changed.

Will report back once I find out what they say! :)

I believe they are complex with the back and the extreme nausea is the aura. Your neuro should know (I didn't ask mine). I was getting these a lot, sometimes 3 or 4 a day last summer. If I was walking I would also loose balance as well, although most times I would just end up on my knees nearly immediatly if I was not able to grab onto something or someone. I still get these although only 1 or 2 a month now and I don't loose balance nor fall.

A sudden urge to sleep/sudden sleepiness out of nowhere could also be seizure related. For me it is unfortunately (using my magnet for the VNS right away usually pulls me out of it quickly).

Last edited:
I believe they are complex with the back and the extreme nausea is the aura. Your neuro should know (I didn't ask mine). I was getting these a lot, sometimes 3 or 4 a day last summer. If I was walking I would also loose balance as well, although most times I would just end up on my knees nearly immediatly if I was not able to grab onto something or someone. I still get these although only 1 or 2 a month now and I don't loose balance nor fall.

A sudden urge to sleep/sudden sleepiness out of nowhere could also be seizure related. For me it is unfortunately (using my magnet for the VNS right away usually pulls me out of it quickly).
I get the nausea, imbalance issues, and cognitive-motor disconnect. Occasionally will lose consciousness for a few seconds. Sounds like you have company.

Susan

some ppl never have auras when they have seizures.

I might have little bit of warning before I have simple partial but hat is it. The rest of my seizures I never have any warning aura or anything bam they just happen.

As I was sitting on the couch chatting with my mom, I felt as if I was going to throw up. Then it felt like I pulled every muscle in my back. About five minutes later, she reminded me that I had a seizure, and it wasn't a grand mal.... I had no warning signs at all.

This sounds similar to a CPS. The nausea feeling, lasting five minutes are similar to what I've experienced in the past with my CPS. The nausea is the aura before the CPS.
After years of having the auras before the CPS, the auras stopped. But the CPS continued.

You should talk with your neurologist about this. The med. change could have triggered it.

Back
Top Bottom