New Year New Start

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Trinity

New
Reaction score
Hello all, it's been a while since i've visit CWE but I wanted to update you all on what is happening with me. Not sure if any of you remember but last year I was having a bad year. I went to my neurologist a couple of times because I thought that I was having seizures of some sort and numerous tests were performed and came back clear including EEG and MRI. Neurologist thinks these 'episodes' were most likely anxiety rather than small seizures (which he all but ruled out). I had been to a psychiatrist several times too and he was wanting to diagnose me as bipolar (even though I hadn't had a manic episode) and had doubled my medication dose for depression/anxiety even though it did nothing to help my so called anxiety. I told this to my neuro and I said that I know that I experience anxiety and i've had panic attacks and these 'episodes' whatever they are, they are different. I don't have anything which I can attribute to feeling anxious about at the time and it feels like an aura. He still thinks it's anxiety and told me that I could possibly be put on a different medication than the SSRI I am on (it does and has for a long time helped with my depression but the increased dose really did nothing to help these other symptoms) and that Frisium could possibly help as it is both an AED and anxiolytic but said I needed to see the psychiatrist first and he (neuro would be happy to consult with him regarding it). I didn't want to see the other psychiatrist again as he was just a pill popper, which I don't mind if it seems to be more than just medication for medications sake. He wanted to put me on dexamphetamine for ADHD non hyperactive type. I do think i've got ADHD behaviours but i'm definitely not going on dexamphetamines as I don't think i'm bad enough to warrant it and more than that my family don't either. Anyway I tried to make an appointment with my old psychiatrist but the appointment needed to be made for like 3 or 4 months away because they were fully booked. I didn't make the appointment which I probably should have.
Anyway, skip forward to 2012 and i've decided that i'm going to take a more positive approach to my lifestyle and health. I think i'll ring up and make that appointment finally with my old psychiatrist, even if just for the sake of a check up. I figure there are a couple of possibilities with these episodes. The first option is that they are small seizures and second option is that it is anxiety. However, with regards to the seizure possibility I know that exercise can be beneficial (my neuro even agreed that exercise can often help control seizures) and I do know that exercise helps with elevating the mood so it will help with my depression and possibly anxiety (don't really know on that one). Last year I did some exercise and training but it was limited compared to the year before when I was feeling really good.
So i've started this fitness challenge just this past week. My goal for this year is to walk/run/cycle 1000Miles (that is equal to 1609Km) and i've started a blog on a charity website called everydayhero which allows you to use whatever event or challenge you want to raise money for a charity of choice - i've chosen Epilepsy Action Australia as my benefiting charity. I haven't had anyone donate yet however, I have had one person tell me that every 100miles I complete she will donate $10 (so she'll donate in $10 amounts during the year so she doesn't have to pay one lump sum). I figure it will probably take me another 4 weeks or so to get that first $10. I've also purchased a shirt on zazzle.com.au that says "I fight like a girl" and under it has "Epilepsy Warrior" I was able to customise it to add the details of my charity page on the back and "1000Miles4Epilepsy" on the front. If you look at my page here www.everydayhero.com.au/1000miles you will see a picture of the front of the shirt. It is ordered and paid for but I haven't received it in the mail yet so hopefully soon. When I do receive it I will put it on and have my daughter take a photo and i'll upload it. In the meantime check it out because i'm really excited. I usually have an everyday hero website to raise money later in the year when I do the city2surf which is a 14km fun run/walk from the city of Sydney to Bondi Beach. I'll still do the city2surf but won't do another charity page as this will be my main goal for the year (and the city2surf and other fun runs will just be something that will help me achieve that). Anyway, hope everyone is doing well and best wishes for a fabulous 2012.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom