Newbie w/driving question here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LisaG

New
Reaction score
I had my first seizure last Friday night , a grand mal. I am 45 years old. I was admitted to the hospital, no drs could determine a reason for the seizure other than I was dehydrated. I got 2 bags of fluids.

Nothing showed up in the CT scan or MRI. I was told not to drive (by the on staff neurologist) until I saw my primary care doc on Wednesday. When I saw her, she said she couldn't release me to drive until I had an EEg. I had the EEG today, and the new neurologist I am supposed to see on April 10 has the results.

The problem : I have a 67 mile commute daily for my job. My daughter and husband have been juggling their work schedules to help me get back and forth, but it's causing them problems with their work . I am new on this job, and can't chance taking enough days off to get me to April 10.

When I called the neurologist to see if they could move me up to an earlier appt, the receptionist said they didn't have anything sooner, BUT (and she stressed the but) they had not pulled my license , that I was "on the honor system" to not drive, but that by law nothing was keeping me from driving. She said they did have my results, but that she couldn't tell me over the phone, I had to wait until my appt .

Does this sound like she was , in her way, telling me my test was clear and to go ahead and drive? Does anyone know how the laws work as far as the legalities of driving after a seizure when your license has not been pulled or reported to the DMV ?

I have taken Topamax as a migraine preventative for years, and the drs did up the dosage to twice a day until after the EEG results come in.

Thanks !!!

Hi LisaG, welcome to CWE!

I am sympathetic to your dilemma and would love to say go ahead and drive, but there's no way to read your neurologist's mind, or to make up yours for you.

On the "no driving" side: Since you didn't have any warning aura, there's no guarantee that you would have a warning before any subsequent seizure. Haaving a history of migraine ups the odds. (And even if you have a negative EEG that doesn't necessarily rule out epilepsy, though that's a whole other issue.)

It sounds like the neurologist was saying that you are technically legal to drive (you should research your state's particular laws to be sure), but I think this decision isn't really about legal issues. Regardless of the legal consequences, you should take into account what any other consequences might be if you did have a seizure while driving. You might endanger others in addition to yourself -- are you prepared for that worst-case scenario?

If you are determined to drive, I recommend that you be as proactive as possible about your general health, be vigilant about taking the Topomax, stay hydrated (of course), get plenty of sleep, and don't push it if you feel at all anxious, uneasy, or unwell. And keep badgering the neurologist's office -- there may be a cancellation, or they may be able to fit you in after all if you are persistent enough.

Best,
Nakamova

Thanks

Thanks

I have felt very good , once I got past the horrible soreness of the seizure. (It was like I'd been pushed by a ruthless personal trainer at the gym ) I didn't feel strange or unwell even during the flashing lights part of the EEG.

But like you said, I had zero warning before my seizure, so rather than chance hurting myself, my car, or even worse, other people, I'm going to wait on my neuro to clear me to drive. I couldn't live with the guilt .

I just wish 3 different doctors hadn't told me 3 different things : the neuro on staff at the hospital said it would be a "few days of not driving", my primary care doc said "up to two years " :?:, and this one is just totally unclear.

I've been on the honor system for 20 years. Let me just say It is much harder to get you license back from the state after a seizure. Not to mention what it does to your insurance. If the doctor says I can't drive then I don't drive untill he clears me. I am totally sympathetic to you situation its for your own safety as well as those around you. I am lucky as I can do my job from home. Is that an option for you? I know how difficult it is to rely on those around you but believe me its better than having a seizure while driving.

This is something that I think a lot of us deal with. Personally, I drive most of the time. If I have had a seizure (mine are mostly nocturnal), then of course I stay home because of the fact that I just can't function. Other wise, I do unless I don't "feel right". I think that you should be careful and wait for your doctor. Mine has always told me to use my own common sense. I tend to error on the side of caution. When in doubt, don't take the car out :)

I can remember one time in my life I could of driven. I went a full year without a grandmal. Not counting all the little ones.But my family would not let me take any body anywhere. That was ten years ago and I have a son with epilepsy that probably will be able to drive. He is getting to that age.My family helps me get around the bus,cabs.See if the state will give you money for gas to get for your car.Or if they don't allow you to drive,Then they should pay your way there taxi.

I tend to agree with Pita that it's probably more difficult to get your license back if you lose it due to taking risks.

Most of us understand your dilemma and feel for you.

I bought a new car after being grand mal free for awhile and then had a triple grand mal with a fall at work. Most of my seizures, esp with the keppra, are nocturnal, I usu have auras first and I have my license. I just decided it was safer to not drive. It is a huge pain in the rear, esp with my husband working out of state.

Being epileptic can be a pain but its better than being a brain dead, stuck in a hospital, vegetable. At least I can take care of myself, shower myself and I'm still wiping my own bottom! :dancing:

You might call your city's state (health & and human services, disabled people services, etc) and/or check with HR at work. Maybe you can find someone in your area that travels your work route that would love to save $ by splitting gas costs.

Be safe.

I SAY IT sucks to be in this dilema, but every body gets in some kind of delema. Sorry for the spelling.it's 12:30 am here. I could not sleep. If a doctor says you can not drive, they should give you a cab for free or a bus pass for free. Both my son and I get the cab. I am trying to prepare him now for the chance that he might not be able to drive. I hope he can, He can take us to our apointments.

Back
Top Bottom