No More Vimpat

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, after calling the nurse today, I just heard back and she said she saw the note about talking to Dr. Summers this past sunday when I called to tell them about the mood changes and she said from the sounds of it, I should'nt be on the Vimpat. she said there is no need in feeling this way and trying to "Stick it out" when Its been this long and things are not improving.

So, she said no longer take the Vimpat. My dr is out on a clinical trial run til Monday, so until he is back in the office, she said to contiune to take Keppra XR and if anything happens in the meantime, to give them a call.

I now wait to hear from the dr or nurse to see if the dr wants me on anything else. I went for over a week with just being on Keppra XR after the VEEG and had seizures. Thats when they tried me with the Vimpat. If there is anything else out there that I can get on, I dont have a clue what it would be!

My mom is alittle frustrated with me now. She was at work and called and I told her about what the nurse said. She doesnt think I gave it a fair "run". In my eyes, dealing with these "moods" and feelings of not caring anymore for this long, In my eyes, I gave it a "fair run".

I'm glad you're getting off it now. Sometimes it's just not worth the side effects. I hope you find something that works for you soon.

Thanks! I hope I find something too! I know those 7 or so days where I was on just the Keppra XR, I felt kind of funny, like seizures were wanting to come, but didnt til the 8th day when I called the dr and thats when they put me on the Vimpat.

I hope to hear from the dr at least by monday or tuesday of next week.

Also, Going off Vimpat!

Never thought I would be able to bring myself to post this. But after reading your post regarding the mood swings, I now feel that I'm not crazy. Started Vimpat about 3 months ago and now the mood swings are "BAD". What makes me so mad about it all is that this drug actually had stopped my seizures "for now". Every time I find a med that is good and is working there is always a side effect that interferes.
I am weaning myself off of the Vimpat. I know the doctor won't agree, but I can't handle the mood swings.
Again, thanks for your posting. It helps so much to hear from someone else experiencing the same reaction.

I'm glad

to hear that you've gotten the go-ahead to get off the Vimpat as well. There's no need at all to ever feel that way. Really. And your mom needs to walk a mile in your shoes...........

Seems like depression is a common side effect. I came off it for exactly the same reason a few weeks ago. For me, no amount of seizure control is worth feeling like that. I'd been on it about 4 or 5 months before getting off it again. Neurologist doesn't know what to try next.

to hear that you've gotten the go-ahead to get off the Vimpat as well. There's no need at all to ever feel that way. Really. And your mom needs to walk a mile in your shoes...........

Yeah after my break down yesterday, my aunt (my mom's sister) said the same thing to me. I know my mom wants me to do well... but she cant expect me to hold on and keep trying a medication that is making me feel terriable. She had to sit down with my mom and tell her all about the feelings I was experiencing. My aunt has had a rough time since 2002. She lost both of her kids in a car accident, and she herself has been on several medications for depression and even goes to counseling sessions. She knew where I was coming from when I said I didnt care about anything no more. With three kids, I cant stay at home and let them just go and come as they want and not care about what they do or where they are, etc.

Yesterday I was feeling that way. Inside I knew I better check up on them (they were at the neighbors playing with their kids) but the way I was feeling was I didnt care, I didnt have the desire to do anything. Thats not the way I want to feel. Instead of waiting til today to call the drs, I told myself I had to call NOW.

Seems like depression is a common side effect. I came off it for exactly the same reason a few weeks ago. For me, no amount of seizure control is worth feeling like that. I'd been on it about 4 or 5 months before getting off it again. Neurologist doesn't know what to try next.

Yeah I couldnt take the feelings of not caring, the feeling of just not wanting to go through another day of those feelings again... Id rather be having seizures than go through that again!

I don't blame you. I'm also on 2000 mg of depakote with my vimpat, as we get me off the depakote, but I am having HUGE issues with the "not caring" thing. That wasn't me before all of this medicine. I'd rather be having the seizures as well. I'm going to keep switching until I can find something that gives me a higher quality of life.

Back
Top Bottom