Nocturnal changing to "daytime" seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seetseet

New
Reaction score
hello again CWE people! I just have a super quick question and I really appreciate your help and/or information ahead of time!!::
Has anyone heard of and/or experienced nocturnal epilepsy turning into "regular" epilepsy?
Or does anyone know of any links to previous forums regarding this?
Thank you again, I genuinely appreciate your time for your answers!!

First off, nocturnal seizures ARE a form of "regular" epilepsy :) It just happens that seizures occur at night. Epilepsy is epilepsy regardless of when the seizures occur. There is always a risk of someone who has daytime seizures starting to also have them at night and vice versa. Certain epilepsy syndromes and epilepsy types are known to produce seizures more at certain times; eg. frontal lobe seizures are more likely to occur between 4 and 7 AM.

First off, nocturnal seizures ARE a form of "regular" epilepsy :) It just happens that seizures occur at night. Epilepsy is epilepsy regardless of when the seizures occur.

My sentiments, too. I've had seizures at all hours, even while asleep. And I have epilepsy.

First up please excuse the HUGE font, I cant find where I can change it back..
Secondly, sorry for using the term "regular epilepsy", I wasn't trying to demean anyone.
All I was wondering if anyone has (or knows of someone who has) changed from having only nocturnal tonic clonic seizures to having tonic clonic seizures while awake?
Thanks again :)

I do not know anyone who only had nocturnal seizures. I know quite a few with both, including myself. My seizure pattern has changed from random daytime hours only to random daytime + nocturnal and now mostly morning with some occasional nocturnal.

thanks for all the replies (and i am also hopinf i have found the font-changer-thingo.
I was just initially making the enquiry because inhave nocturnal epilepsy-so every TC seizure i have had was when i was sleeping. I have had a couple of other ones (like smells etc) while awake, but yea that was like during jetlag or just really rough routine/sleep shifts where youre not-quite-there anyway...
So the reason for my enquiry is that my neuro has always said that i "have to behave and stick to my routine and not work late etc because if if i dont, my seizures will spread to awake-seizures". But then i realised late one night that i i have never actually read about a person on here on CWE where they originally had nocturnal epilepsy like me and i they then started getting seizures while awake. AS WELL AS a person who i personally know who has nocturnal epilepsy AND is a party boy AND doesnt take meds, still doesnt get "awake" TC seizures after all these years...
So if you see or read any goss let me know :) pleeeease

For folks who have had a pattern of solely nocturnal seizures for many years, daytime seizures are unlikely to develop. HOWEVER, there is no way to definitively predict whose seizures will progress/escalate and whose will stay put. Epilepsy varies hugely from one person to another, and there are a ton of different factors that can play a role in an individual's prognosis: seizure type/location, primary cause (if known), age of onset, age of diagnosis, responsiveness to treatment, overall health and lifestyle, etc. Your party boy pal's seizures may not escalate, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can behave the same and count on having the same result.

For about 10 years my seizures were strictly in my sleep at night. I had 2-3 seizures (tonic clonic) each week; sometimes in 1 night and I would wake up feeling like I had been hit by a truck. This was before FMLA so I had no choice but to go to work each day regardless of how I felt.

Several times I fell out of bed and ended with carpet burns across my forehead from thrashing around. It was pretty embarrassing walking around with that on my forehead. What does a person tell people who ask, which someone did so I told him it was a rug burn (the truth) and he did not want to touch that statement "with a 10 ft. pole". I wonder what he was thinking about?

They eventually transitioned back to daytime and thankfully other than auras I haven't had a seizure where I've lost consciousness in over 10 years now.

Certain epilepsy syndromes and epilepsy types are known to produce seizures more at certain times; eg. frontal lobe seizures are more likely to occur between 4 and 7 AM.
This is exactly what I have. 32 years and counting and I've never had one while awake.
:twocents:

My very first seizure, 12 years ago, was a nocturnal one. After that I'm pretty sure my seizures turned into ones while I was awake. Not positive though because no one sleeps with me or always watches me when I take a nap.

Over the last few months I have started having seizures when I was asleep along with having them while I was awake.

When I was a child, I had seizures at night, but no one was aware that I was having them, we all thought I was having nightmares, but after my sister saw me having one about 10yrs ago when we were making dinner she brought me to the ER, she explained what happened and they confirmed that it was a seizure, I then saw a neurologist a few weeks later and I told him about the "nightmares" I had as a child and what I would do during them and he said that no, they were actually seizures too.

I will have seizures both day and night now.

Back
Top Bottom