nocturnal epilepsy vs. sleep apnea

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seetseet

New
Reaction score
Just a quick question for all you awesome people out there:
Is there any chance of (or has anyone heard of) sleep apnea being mistakenly diagnosed as tonic clonic nocturnal epilepsy?
Because I just realized I was only sent for the daytime EPG thingos, so if this is possible that it was misdiagnosed, hehe well that would be absolutely fantastic yeww
Thanks ahead of time for any responses!

I have read that sleep apnea can trigger a seizure, and that a seizure can trigger sleep apnea. I don't know details beyond this, but it is not a trick question ;) Ask your neurologist if s/he can have you undergo a sleep test for apnea to determine if you in fact do have this.

BTW - what is EPG??

Nocturnal seizures?
This could be due to lack of oxygen to the brain while you sleep from snoring or certain sleep aids such as certain anti-epileptic drugs, sleeping pills, or some sort of other restriction to the airway. This also causes night time seizures.

In my case, I have been dx'd with Chronic Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
After my sleep disorders test the Dr. showed me the EEG from that one night, I would stop breathing up to 50 times/hour and had 3 seizures and that I was waking up "post ictal" (moody and spaced out) tired,lethargic, (feel like crap)
I have purchased a CPAP machine (Constant Positive Air Pressure)as recommended by my Doctor, which provides constant air pressure and have noticed a vast improvement.
No more snoring (the whole family sleeps better now), more energy when I wake up, better REM sleep, improved memory (less short term memory loss), and most of all ~ NO MORE NIGHT SEIZURES. (or snoring)

Randy

my husband snore like pig I sure he getting sleep apnea...I want to get him a crap machine help him sleep which in tern help me

Hi all.. On sleep apnea. My PCP wants me to have a sleep apnea test ... two different ways , sleep deprivation study and a 24 hour monitor that I would wear during the day. He says he is 100% sure I have sleep apnea as when he looks in my mouth my throat somewhat collapses. I am afraid to have either test. This may sound silly, but if he knows already, why not just prescribe the machine? I am mostly worried because I am afraid it could mean a change in my phenobarbital since it can depress breathing/heart rate, etc. RANMAN.. you are on phenobarbital too. Did your rx change at all ?
Thanks. It has been a rough year. Need to post sometime in the padded room.

Mary K,

When I was first DXd with Sleep Apnea back in 2007, NONE of my meds had to be changed including pheonobarbitol.
Still exactly the same today.

I have mixed sleep apnea, and I do have seizures which typically accompany both CSA and OSA. The seizures accompanying CSA are more powerful than the ones with OSA. The OSA is being managed through the use of an inhaler which I like to take a couple of hours before bedtime, as it is adrenogenic. The CSA is more troubling, but quite rare for me. The seizure for me jumpstarts the breathing again.

I also manage my sleep apnea with cloves, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.

Last edited:
Hi Michael,
Tell me more about the spices please. Why those three? How do you take them? How much?

I'm not sure which type of apnea I have but I suspect it is CSA or mixed.

Hi Alohabird,

I started the use of cloves as a way to address my chronic bronchial infections associated with MMD2. They have analgesic and germicidal properties, and, according to the link following, are nature's most powerful antioxidant. They contain anthocyanins, flavonoids, and eugenol, an essential oil, as well as quercetin.

www.antioxidants-for-health-and-longevity.com/benefits-of-cloves.html

I presently eat four to eight cloves a day (nothing added).

I have used salsa for years to help me get over the common cold as the ingredients in salsas help to relieve congestion. I also sometimes add garlic to salsa. The specific ingredient that is beneficial is capsaicin, a natural blood thinner as well as blood vessel dilator. Consuming sufficient amounts can promote a head sweat. I use cayenne pepper (ground) as my primary source. I consume 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon a day. Cayenne pepper is also a good antioxidant, can lower blood pressure, etc. I also use cayenne pepper to help manage my atherosclerosis in my internal carotid artieries.

All three spices are antihistamines. One of the side of effects of my bronchial dilator is a constriction of nasal passages.

Cinnamon, in addition to being an antihistamine, helps to regulate blood sugar. Diabetics sometimes use it for this purpose. Since I am only able to create energy from the food I eat, and since I eat a fair amount of carbohydrates out of necessity, I use cinnamon in part to prevent diabetes.

At my last hospital visit, my blood glucose was 87. It tests normal nearly every time.

There is also research that suggests that cinnamon can help to reduce cholesterol levels. My cholesterol did drop fifty points the last time it was checked, and cinnamon may be one of the reasons. I use 1/4 teaspoon to over 1 teaspoon a day.

Due to my present circumstances, I take cinnamon and cloves as is, with nothing added. I have become accustomed to adding cayenne pepper to many cooked foods I eat. Without it, something is missing. I use black pepper sparingly, mostly because black pepper can be carcinogenic, according to Dr. Andrew Weil. I prefer cayenne pepper anyway. I will sometimes buy jalapenos as well. I have grown other hot peppers and used the seeds to spice things up a bit.

When first starting these spices, with the exception of cayenne pepper, I was quite reactive to them, meaning, I would experience a rush which would actually be like a mini seizure. As time passed, my reactivity to these spices has decreased, and, I have theorized that that decrease in my reactivity to them has coincided with an increase in my seizure threshold. This is not completely consistent because I have still yet to establish homeostasis overall, and I am not sure, given my disease, if it can be established. I go through cycles where I feel better, and where I feel worse. When I feel worse, I try to increase my consumption of these things. There is a point of diminishing returns, however.

So, in summary, all of these spices are potential ways to help prevent the causes of my sleep apnea. My breathing remains inconsistent, but my sleep apnea is considerably better than it used to be. I think that the rescue inhaler and the spices are helping, but I do not think that using one or the other would do the trick alone. I can only recall three episodes (that I am aware of) in the past four months, compared to one to two dozen episodes in the previous six plus months.

Interesting. Yes, cloves were used in dentistry long before novocain was invented. I use clove oil sometimes if I bite my tongue to keep it from getting infected. I use cinnamon a lot in place of other sweeteners. I put it in smoothies and such. That's interesting about capsicum. I was raised in San Diego so I basically had salsa in my baby bottle. Have you ever tried turmeric? It is also a blood thinner and anti-inflammatory. It gives that same "rush" effect if you are not used to it.

Alohabird,

I think we have written about this before. I mentioned I do use turmeric, but I do not like the taste of it much, and so I do not use it much.

Ah, yes. It does come in capsules too if you are not a curry fan. I use the capsules just because I would get tired of curry every day.

I just had pot natural yoghurt mix with turmeric red onion and banna..I must say in all my life worse thing I eaten

I found cayenne really helped too--it is a respiratory stimulant and reduces swelling in the throat and sinuses. A little in hot water with honey at night can really help sleep.

Back
Top Bottom