Nocturnal Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've posted on here before about nocturnal seizures ,but wanted to ask a slightly different question. I still have not confirmed that my daughter's nighttime issues are seizures for sure, but I'm planning on getting a VEEG soon. Until then, here's what I have figured out. My daughter is having these incidents at the same time every time. About 45 minutes after she goes to sleep, she sits up, is spacey and silent for about a minute or two, then comes out of it, talks to me, and goes back to bed. Its like clockwork. Is there some kind of sleep disorder that this could be? Or if its a seizure, does anyone have experience with this kind of predictability? Is this common for nighttime seizures? And does anyone have experience with using melatonin for nocturnal seizures?

That's interesting because recently I've been having trouble sleeping. I'll go to sleep then 1/2 or 3/4 of an hour later I wake up. I've never associated it with my seizures but I guess that's a possibility.

I did try melatonin many years ago when I had trouble with nocturnal seizures & it didn't help the nocturnal seizures but it made the daytime ones worse.

Maddie's mom,

I have nocturnal seizures, and the period around 2am-3am is a really hot time for me. It's pretty reliable around the time.

The brain switching between types of brain waves while going through sleep cycles can trigger a seizure. Your daughter may be at a certain point in her sleep cycle every night, 45 minutes in.

I wake up every night around 3-4am, too...then I am either wide awake the rest of the night or only sleeping lightly, tossing and turning until morning.

Does she wake up with memory problems in the morning? I ask because I'm just about positive now that I'm also having seizures in my sleep because I had seizures again Wednesay after waking up with memory problems. Pretty predictably when I wake up with memory problems I'll seizure several times throughout that day.

No, she does not wake with memory problems. In fact, she has an amazing memory. Seems full of energy in the morning as well -- is often the first one up.

Back
Top Bottom