Nocturnal Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
I know there is a thread on here somewhere on Nocturnal TC's. I couldn't find it, though.

I need you all to tell me this wasn't a seizure. I don't think it was, but I thought I'd better check.

I fell asleep on my back with my arms resting at my sides. I dreamed that I had a seizure - I had trouble breathing. Then I think there was a gap. Then rather abrupt (not smooth large movement convulsing, kind of like big jerking). I only remember about 3-5 seconds of jerking (like a hazy dream) but got the feeling there was more before that. I woke up in the middle of the night with my body exhausted. My dog was sitting in the very far corner of my king sized bed, alert with his ears up. He's usually plastered to me when we sleep and only gets up if I do. When I woke up he came over and laid his body across mine. He never does that.
Oh - and no tounge or cheek biting, and had a retainer in that's hard plastic and it's still intact.

Today I feel like I was hit by a mack truck. Even the muscles in my feet hurt. And my right hip is out.

Things that don't fit with a seizure -
I have NEVER had a TC.
Not the typical movement I associate with a TC (hard to explain).
No drool.
One arm was exactly where I left it when I went to sleep.
My dog is a seizure alert dog - I don't remember him alerting me to anything.
I wasn't confused when I woke up, in the sense of not knowing where I was, etc. I just couldn't figure out what happened.
I also have very vivid dreams since I started Lamictal. The kind where you aren't sure whether they really happened or not, so who knows what happened, if anything at all.

Tell me too much doesn't fit, and it was a nasty dream.

Last edited:
I have seizures where my head is pulled to the side & jerks & my legs go stiff so remember that just because you lose physical control does not mean that you've had a tonic/clonic sz. I also feel a bit sore after them, usually my back.

Of course I can't say that isn't a T/C seizure either but I would expect you to feel much more confused & mentally tired afterwards.

I know there is a thread on here somewhere on Nocturnal TC's. I couldn't find it, though.

I need you all to tell me this wasn't a seizure. I don't think it was, but I thought I'd better check.

I fell asleep on my back with my arms resting at my sides. I dreamed that I had a seizure - I had trouble breathing. Then I think there was a gap. Then rather abrupt (not smooth large movement convulsing, kind of like big jerking). I only remember about 3-5 seconds of jerking (like a hazy dream) but got the feeling there was more before that. I woke up in the middle of the night with my body exhausted. My dog was sitting in the very far corner of my king sized bed, alert with his ears up. He's usually plastered to me when we sleep and only gets up if I do. When I woke up he came over and laid his body across mine. He never does that.
Oh - and no tounge or cheek biting, and had a retainer in that's hard plastic and it's still intact.

Today I feel like I was hit by a mack truck. Even the muscles in my feet hurt. And my right hip is out.

Things that don't fit with a seizure -
I have NEVER had a TC.
Not the typical movement I associate with a TC (hard to explain).
No drool.
One arm was exactly where I left it when I went to sleep.
My dog is a seizure alert dog - I don't remember him alerting me to anything.
I wasn't confused when I woke up, in the sense of not knowing where I was, etc. I just couldn't figure out what happened.
I also have very vivid dreams since I started Lamictal. The kind where you aren't sure whether they really happened or not, so who knows what happened, if anything at all.

Tell me too much doesn't fit, and it was a nasty dream.

what you just described with the jerking, and feeling like a mad truck ran over you afterwords, is exacly the kind of seizures I experienced doing my VEEG last week. I was consious through out, but had the jerking all over my body, and when it was all over, my whole body felt weak and hurt all over.

I have seizures where my head is pulled to the side & jerks & my legs go stiff so remember that just because you lose physical control does not mean that you've had a tonic/clonic sz. I also feel a bit sore after them, usually my back.

Of course I can't say that isn't a T/C seizure either but I would expect you to feel much more confused & mentally tired afterwards.

My seizures I experienced last week was the same way. I had the funny feeling... "aura"... along with the numbness in my hands and feet, my head then went to my right, and I my whole body was jerking all over. I was consious through out it all.

Interesting....

I wasn't conscious through any of it. I'm leaning towards a really bad dream at this point.

Feeling a bit silly for even wondering about it.

:dontknow:

When I've had nocturnal tonic-clonics I haven't been conscious for any of it, not even of any jerking or muscle movements. I figure that I had one because my tongue hurts or my muscles are stabby or because I've lost several hours. You may well have a had a nasty seizure, but maybe not a full tonic-clonic?

For me, when I dream about having seizures it's more likely to be a dream where I'm driving and having a seizure. Or I dream about the confusion and dismay that happens post-seizure. So rather than dreaming about having a seizure, I dream about having had a seizure.

Back
Top Bottom